Alien Timeline Updated

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 16, 2016, 03:20:12 PM

Author
Alien Timeline Updated (Read 72,222 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I wonder if someone not on ralfy's ignore list will call his attention to that video.

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: SM on Jan 07, 2024, 12:26:30 AMHave at ye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhSk-7LmN54

QuoteI wonder if someone not on ralfy's ignore list will call his attention to that video.

@ralfy

Here you go @Local Trouble  :)  8) done.

426Buddy

oduodu

oduodu

Quote from: SiL on Oct 09, 2023, 05:24:15 AM
Quote from: SM on Oct 09, 2023, 01:05:04 AM
Quote from: SiL on Oct 08, 2023, 10:22:07 PMWhy you uploading in 720p

I re-rendered in 1080. YouTube seems to drop the quality a notch so it ends up 720p.

Go figure.
Very strange.

happens to me from time to time

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

Excellent work and video as always @SM  :)

oduodu

oduodu

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/387793-How-do-I-get-the-good-upload-video-quality-to-youtube-1080p-60fps

sil

rendering to av1 with a dedicated graphics card that supports svg dramatically cuts down on rendering time?

the link i shared suggests uploaiding in a resolution higher than the target resolution . av1 svg hardware encoder on a dedicated gpu will cut down on render times . just a sugestion . dont know how practical this is for sm.

SM

SM

@xeno_alpha_07 @426Buddy 

Merci beaucoup  :)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I wonder if someone with a Vault Boy avatar will comment on the video.

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Jan 07, 2024, 10:58:37 AM
Quote from: SM on Jan 07, 2024, 12:26:30 AMHave at ye.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhSk-7LmN54

QuoteI wonder if someone not on ralfy's ignore list will call his attention to that video.

@ralfy

Here you go @Local Trouble  :)  8) done.

The point isn't whether or not the company knew about the aliens but whether or not it knew the location of the distress beacon. What the movie reveals is that it did, and it even instructed the computer to reroute the Nostromo to the new coordinates.

That means they knew the location of the distress beacon even before the Nostromo was rerouted, and long before the events depicted in the second movie took place.

SM

SM

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

"Half of bishop escaped"  :laugh:  That was funny but the halfing only happened later on Sulaco.  ;D

ralfy

ralfy

I went over the rest of the video, and it's worse than I thought. Some points to consider:

When a distress signal is decoded and seen as a warning to stay away, then that obviously shows that intelligent life is involved. That strongly implies potential for investigation and monetization.

The computer was transmitting information periodically to the company from the start, and unless the computer for some absurd reason stopped doing so after it rerouted the ship, then that means the company also knew what happened to Kane and the facehugger, and what he, Dallas, and Lambert saw in the derelict ship.

Logically, the company would have even contacted the Nostromo, asking for updates. Why? How many opportunities do you get discovering a distress signal in the middle of nowhere?

"Exclusive rights for anyone" doesn't mean that Burke and Ripley don't get exclusive rights over anyone else. It means ECA and the ICC step in and impose quarantines and lockdowns; in short, no one gets to monetize the find.

On top of that, both Burke and Ripley are employed with W-Y, which means they're on company time. In which case, they don't get exclusive rights but a share of the earnings. BTW, a finder's fee isn't the same as exclusive rights. The latter refers to the point that no one else has rights to the find except for the one who found it.

If Burke is a liaison, then that means he was working for W-Y and not alone.

Burke says that he doesn't warn the colonists about potential danger because it would create a major security situation. Who would be concerned with that? The ICC which regulates transmission of alien organisms and the ECA which is in charge of protecting the welfare of colonists. And who were in the hearing and received the same information as Burke, which were the coordinates of the distress beacon? Van Leuwen of the ICC and an ECA officer.

The point isn't whether or not Burke was sure if the derelict ship existed. It's that he joined the "rescue" team because he was betting that it did. The "bad call," then isn't that he wasn't certain about the existence of the derelict ship but that he couldn't warn the colonists because they might not want have wanted to investigate the ship. It's similar to the company ordering Ash to ensure acquisition of the organism even if he had to sacrifice the Nostromo crew to do so.

According to video, they were able to translate the signal partly in a short order of time because they knew there was something "hostile" on LV-426, which is why they came up with a special order and had Ash replace the existing science officer. That makes no sense at all because the computer detected the signal when the ship was in transit, and Ash replaced the science officer before that.

How to resolve that issue? The company knew about such dangerous organisms long before, which is why they used synths like Ash, came up with special orders, and set up a bioweapons division in preparation of monetizing finds. All they were waiting for were company ships to find them.

Whenever you have a distress signal, and on top of that a warning, and from what you consider intelligent life, and what is likely non-human and in the middle of nowhere, then you don't think about whether or not you can monetize from such a find. You assume that the level of technology used by that organism to reach such places is the same as yours, if not better. Given that, you don't go on a simple "fishing expedition."

In which case, why didn't they send a specialized team? Simple: if you have one of your ships nearby, then send it right away. You want exclusive rights to the find, remember? And the greedy crew gets its "bonus situation". But what if they fail? Well, why do you think Ash and the special order's for? In fact, the same video gives that point.

Again, the company likely didn't know enough about the alien because, for some weird reason, Mother probably stopped reporting and the company didn't bother to ask the Nostromo crew what happened during their expedition, but why is that even needed to justify sending a team? They already received the coordinates from Mother and it's obvious that they're dealing with intelligent lifeforms. What other things did they need to consider? Heck, they even set up a colony on the same rock and still didn't bother to investigate even though they had the coordinates from Mother.

When you do "whatever work is given to you," then that means you don't work alone because someone's giving work to you. And who else was that but W-Y?

Why did they send a director? My guess is that the potential find is so great that Burke told the company that he should do it himself to make sure that they succeed. That's why he wasn't even a "case manager." He wasn't defending Ripley during the hearing, was manipulating her throughout, ordered the colony manager around, worked with Gorman, and ordered Bishop around, too. He's more like George Clooney's character "Michael Clayton."

The problem with Bishop is that he didn't refuse Burke's order, so he actually went against his core programming. Also, Bishop was not W-Y property and probably more than just part of ECA, as his tasks included operating the ACP.

Lastly, the video refers to the prequels, which makes matters worse because they show that the company knew a lot about the aliens (and more) long before the first movie took place. Given that, how do we solve most of discrepancies in the timeline?

The company knows a lot (and more) about the aliens from the prequels, and because of that forms a bioweapons division and a special order, and puts synths on its ships to fulfill that order.

Mother reports a signal and its coordinates, and the company has it reroute the ship. The first movie follows.

The company loses information on the coordinates, and the distress beacon stops working. A colony is set up and efforts are made to find the derelict ship, but they fail.

Ripley is rescued. The company recovers the coordinates from the flight recorder and erases them in order not to alert the government. Burke is tasked to covertly work on the matter. He orders the colony to send someone to investigate the area. They get infected, etc., but they are able to report only about the first alien before it damages the transmitter.

Burke decides to send one team to kill the alien (they figured that there'd be only one alien, just like what happened to the Nostromo crew), rescue the colonists, secure company property, smuggle organisms, and secure the derelict ship so that the company could get exclusive rights to it. Burke, Ripley, and any of the colonists who discovered the ship would get a share of profits from monetization.

The rest of the second movie follows.

Lastly, keep in mind that the other authorized media complicates the timeline. For example, after the first movie I think one game states that one ship found the Nostromo fight recorder, obtains the coordinates, and visits the derelict ship, and one report indicates that another ship also visits the same because the company already had the coordinates from the Nostromo lifeboat recorder, and there they encounter a third ship.

SiL

SiL

Ralfy continues to prove he's not actually watched these movies.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

So just to clarify, this *exact* same topic from the same individual is now being spammed in the following threads:

In the Alien Films Section:

1. Why did the folk of Hadley's Hope not send a signal? thread

2. Was the Nostromo sent to LV-426 on Purpose? Thread

3. Alien 3: Why didn't the company return to LV-426? Thread

4. Was Burke working alone? Thread ** now locked because of it**

5. Aliens: An analysis **locked because of it**

6. Sulaco thread

7. The Egg on the Sulaco thread

And now here in the community news section:

8. Alien timeline updated thread.

Eight threads (and I'm sure I'm missing a couple). And when any of us speak out about it, there are some insinuating *we* are the problem, even though the ignore feature is overwritten by quotes. I honestly truly appreciate difference of opinion (each to their own! I'm aware some of my own opinions aren't popular!) But this is just making discussions really unenjoyable, and there's no escape from it. 😔

Surely this is at the point that it's infringing some sort of forum etiquette?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

It would be one thing if he had to withstand the onslaught of good-faith disagreements, but he abuses the ignore feature like I've never seen before.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed