Ripley + Facehugger in Alien Resurrection

Started by Hudson, Aug 25, 2017, 02:39:41 PM

Author
Ripley + Facehugger in Alien Resurrection (Read 6,215 times)

Hudson

Question:

Forgive me if I've missed this discussion somewhere else on the boards, but as I'm reading the Alien Resurrection novelization something occurred to me, although it's not necessarily specific to the novelization and it was mostly just an idea that popped into my head while taking in a more methodical version of the story.

As the survivors enter the egg chamber below the shaft which they use to escape from the underwater kitchen, a facehugger launches onto Ripley's face and she's able to get it off of her.

If she wouldn't have gotten the facehugger off and birthed a xenomorph, what kind of creature would it have been? Similar to the newborn?

SM

Probably similar to a normal Alien but with less human like features due to excess Alien DNA. How that would manifest I'm not sure. Less fleshy perhaps.

Scorpio

Has this 'inbreeding' idea been explored in comics?  Say, a facehugger attacks a xenomorph, committing incest essentially.  What would the resulting creature be?  And especially after a few generations?  Because what if there are no hosts available?  This is an idea I would like to see explored.

The Cruentus

There was the white-hybrids in AVP:DOTS but that was a weird story. Basically the white-hybrids were intelligent creatures comprised of Aliens, predators and human. One of their facehuggers apparently impregnated an Alien Queen. However, I doubt Xenos could normally implant another.

Paranoid Android

Based on the lore Alien:Covenant sets up regarding the time required for a facehugger to impregnate someone, Ripley did not remove the facehugger on time. She gave birth to an alien off-screen after the credits rolled, thus ending all life on Earth.

Olde

Seeing as how the Auriga crashed into Earth and the planet already looked pretty much like a wasteland in the alternate ending, I doubt it would really be the xenomorph that spawned from her that would doom the whole planet. It looked destroyed already.

Xenomania

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Aug 26, 2017, 02:58:48 PM
Based on the lore Alien:Covenant sets up regarding the time required for a facehugger to impregnate someone, Ripley did not remove the facehugger on time. She gave birth to an alien off-screen after the credits rolled, thus ending all life on Earth.
:D

That reminds me, when I was a kid watching the movie, for some reason I actually feared she would chestburst in the end.

SM

SM

The Betty landed in ship graveyard.  One trashed city does not a destroyed planet make.

Olde

Olde

Quote from: SM on Aug 26, 2017, 10:26:54 PM
The Betty landed in ship gravetard.  One trashed city does not a destroyed planet make.
I thought the ship was larger than it was, however, the USM Auriga was still not a small ship. It was 2.6 km long, roughly one-third of the estimated size of the asteroid that wiped out the dinosaurs and also 75% of species on Earth. We're talking about the kinetic energy at the point of impact being over 100,000 megatons. Little Boy and Fat Man weighed in at 15 and 20 kilotons. The ship hitting Earth would have been a catastrophic event. If the ship hit Europe, which I don't know where else it would've hit unless we assume Europe just disintegrated into nothing over the course of three hundred years, it would have made a large part of Europe uninhabitable (and probably millions of people would be dead, etc. etc.)

And my point was it would have done a hell of a lot more damage than a single xeno getting released on Earth.

SM

It crashed into southern Africa.

windebieste

Ah, so that's what killed Blomkamp's 'ALIEN 5' proposal.

-Windebieste.

judge death

Quote from: windebieste on Aug 27, 2017, 06:57:20 AM
Ah, so that's what killed Blomkamp's 'ALIEN 5' proposal.

-Windebieste.
Nahh I would say it killed off the alien franchise for several years ;)

Hudson

I don't get the assumption that people have (author of Alien Sea of Sorrow included) which suggests that the alternate Resurrection ending displaying a Paris in ruins = the Auriga crash sight.

Johner makes it pretty clear that Earth sucks already. Also, if the Auriga had just struck the location where Ripley and Call end the movie...they wouldn't be so nonchalant about sitting there looking at the devastation.

SM

Earth wasn't especially trashed. It look quite green and normal from space and the closer birds eye view shots in the theatrical version - ie. theatrical proper version.

Based on Paris, Johner's comments and a large chunk of southern Africa being uninhabited, there are parts of Earth that have been abandoned.  But it's still homebase for the USM, and Call went to great lengths to save the people who live there.

Scorpio

Scorpio

It makes sense for USM to use Earth as a homebase as it is an abandoned wasteland just like how many military bases are in the desert.  Paris has been inhabited since 3rd Century BC, which is over 2000 years (Alien Resurrection is set in the 24th century, over 300 years from now), so there would have to be a major global catastrophe for Paris to become a ruined city.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed