Alien Resurrection Re-evaluated

Started by The Old One, Oct 19, 2019, 01:16:49 PM

Author
Alien Resurrection Re-evaluated (Read 11,759 times)

The Old One

The Old One

And the MEMORY REMAINS. Da da da.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Res was the first movie in the series that made me mad at the franchise.

Prometheus of course has eclipsed it as my most hated. 

But Res did give us the underrated PS FPS of the same name, so there is that. 

Kradan

Kradan

Thank God, I was too young to be infuriated by Resurrection or Prometheus .  :D

StrangeShape

I saw it in theaters back in '97. I was always very vocal about my absolute distaste for Resurrection. I had posts half a page long with numbered points and photos explaining what I hate about the movie and how it ruined the mythology for me. I still cant argue many of those points, and I believe I was right that Resurrection did take away the eerieness and mystique of the first three, but I also have to admit I do appreciate it more now. Maybe its not a gritty, shadows-in-the-dark in the hallways and cellar type of a thing and leans more towards scifi aspect than the previous three, but I do appreciate its peculiarity and 90's cinema feel to it. Or perhaps in the light of Covenant, which I thought was the worst and the most bland Alien related thing ever released I looked at Res in a different light. Back in the days it ruined the saga for me and I didnt come back untill the Alien Directors Cut was hitting theaters in 2001. Similarly, Covenant completely watered down what I loved about the original film, but Isolation brought it all back

Local Trouble

Quote from: StrangeShape on Oct 27, 2019, 03:22:50 PMI saw it in theaters back in '97. I was always very vocal about my absolute distaste for Resurrection. I had posts half a page long with numbered points and photos explaining what I hate about the movie and how it ruined the mythology for me.

I loved those posts!  :)

Quote from: StrangeShape on Oct 27, 2019, 03:22:50 PMbut I also have to admit I do appreciate it more now.

What?!  No!  Not you too!  :'(

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: StrangeShape on Oct 27, 2019, 03:22:50 PM
I saw it in theaters back in '97. I was always very vocal about my absolute distaste for Resurrection. I had posts half a page long with numbered points and photos explaining what I hate about the movie and how it ruined the mythology for me. I still cant argue many of those points, and I believe I was right that Resurrection did take away the eerieness and mystique of the first three, but I also have to admit I do appreciate it more now. Maybe its not a gritty, shadows-in-the-dark in the hallways and cellar type of a thing and leans more towards scifi aspect than the previous three, but I do appreciate its peculiarity and 90's cinema feel to it. Or perhaps in the light of Covenant, which I thought was the worst and the most bland Alien related thing ever released I looked at Res in a different light. Back in the days it ruined the saga for me and I didnt come back untill the Alien Directors Cut was hitting theaters in 2001. Similarly, Covenant completely watered down what I loved about the original film, but Isolation brought it all back

For me it was the opposite. I knew giving Sigourney a boatload of money and bringing Ripley back for the sake of bringing Ripley back wasn't going to feel organic and likely lead to lackluster results, but I allowed myself to get excited anyway. And the first time I saw it in 1997 I was in a state of shock that eventually turned into me trying to convince myself it was better than it was.

But like how many felt with their second-viewing of The Predator, reality quickly set in, and Alien Resurrection has gotten worse everytime I've seen it, even worse than The Predator considering the bastardization of the Ripley character and how much more seriously it takes itself versus the latter. Thank goodness Arnold had the sense not to appear in that cameo.

Alas, mix in the Newborn and to me you have the worst film of either franchise. Still. :(

The Old One

The Old One

The saving grace for me is that it doesn't take itself seriously, the whole everything from the past three films that's recognisable is gone, and the cloning Ripley idea- allows for me to disregard it as a real sequel immediately. I see it as it's own thing, a parody almost.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 26, 2019, 04:54:16 PM
And the MEMORY REMAINS. Da da da.

Great album, also from 1997.

StrangeShape

Quote from: Local Trouble on Oct 27, 2019, 06:28:57 PM
Quote from: StrangeShape on Oct 27, 2019, 03:22:50 PMI saw it in theaters back in '97. I was always very vocal about my absolute distaste for Resurrection. I had posts half a page long with numbered points and photos explaining what I hate about the movie and how it ruined the mythology for me.

I loved those posts!  :)

Quote from: StrangeShape on Oct 27, 2019, 03:22:50 PMbut I also have to admit I do appreciate it more now.

What?!  No!  Not you too!  :'(

Ha, not saying it should exist but comparing to Covenant its a work of art. Who wouldve thought

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 27, 2019, 07:54:18 PM
The saving grace for me is that it doesn't take itself seriously, the whole everything from the past three films that's recognisable is gone, and the cloning Ripley idea- allows for me to disregard it as a real sequel immediately. I see it as it's own thing, a parody almost.

Yeah I've never bought in to "it's a parody" personally, either by deliberate means or an allowance to consume and digest. Yeah, it's got some comedic one-liners, but if we're exploring failed Ripley clones or the Newborn itself, to me it's taken seriously to dreadful results.

The Old One

The Old One

I said almost, also yeah the cloning thing took me out of it before the film even started and Covenant is far superior to anything since the Alien Trilogy. (In terms of the Alien/Predator film universe.)

Local Trouble

Quote from: StrangeShape on Oct 27, 2019, 08:31:42 PM
Ha, not saying it should exist but comparing to Covenant its a work of art. Who wouldve thought

Even the first 20 minutes of Covenant?

The Old One

The Old One

Not even the entire thing.

Local Trouble

He should make a long post including pics to compare and contrast the two.  I want to be convinced that Covenant is worse than AR.

Huggs

Huggs

They seem like two stinky peas in a pod to me. One is just now older and crustier than the other.

Though there is that all important nostalgia factor.

Sing it with me now!

Spoiler
Oooooooooooooooooooooh!

Who's stuck on a spaceship that's floating in space?

El-len Ri-pley!

Who's blood is acidic and melts off your face?

El-len Ri-pley!
[close]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed