Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews

Started by happypred, Sep 09, 2014, 07:43:43 AM

Author
Dark Horse Fire and Stone (Prometheus/Aliens/AvP/Predator/Omega): All Reviews (Read 134,555 times)

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

DAT OMEGA COVER THO!  :o

Spoiler

What in the universe is that thing behind them? Elden? I'm very excited for this whole thing to heat up.
[close]

Nightmare Asylum

happypred

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 20, 2014, 06:04:05 PMSo it just went full circle back to Goblin Shark? :P

Doubt that's the Deacon

Really looking forward to humanoid adult Deacons

or maybe even something less humanoid like...

Vrastal

Itll be interesting to finally see it whats happened to it. if we ever really do.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

RidgeTop

Just checked out the new Aliens comic. The story seems interesting, but it is just me, or is the art for the xenomorphs absolutely terrible? Their hands are in the same position in every detailed frame. It seems like they heavily referenced the NECA figure.

SM

SM

I wouldn't say "terrible".  It's decent but not great.  Certainly better than the cover art.

See what you mean about the hands.  Overall the Prometheus artwork was better.

Be back shortly with my thoughts...

Spoiler
Okay so artwork aside - the characters are also decent - the story doesn't really get very far.  We get introduced to three people who will obviously become the main players - Russell, Genevieve and Cale.  Russell confusing says he's been running the terraforming operation for four years, but there's no mention of Simpson or Lydecker.  Until later when a character makes a comment about their old boss "Simpson".  Guess they mean the same Simpson.  I can't say the colony exteriors put me in mind of the film and the amount of people who escape Hadley seemed way too much when you look at the PDT signals in the film - though I can't confirm this (yet).  As per Prometheus #1, this is mostly just setup.
[close]

robbritton

Only real problem with Aliens #1 for me:
Spoiler
What on earth are two Colonial Marines doing in Hadley's Hope? Would it have killed the artist to come up with his own town defence guns and garb? just added to the feeling of a lot of the art being, while not exactly traced, then not entirely original.
[close]

TheBATMAN

Quote from: robbritton on Sep 25, 2014, 10:45:15 AM
Spoiler
What on earth are two Colonial Marines doing in Hadley's Hope? Would it have killed the artist to come up with his own town defence guns and garb? just added to the feeling of a lot of the art being, while not exactly traced, then not entirely original.
[close]

Spoiler
Their presence will be explained in Alien: River of Pain.
[close]

robbritton

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Sep 25, 2014, 05:23:41 PM
Quote from: robbritton on Sep 25, 2014, 10:45:15 AM
Spoiler
[close]

Spoiler
Their presence will be explained in Alien: River of Pain.
[close]

I did not know that. What a convoluted adventure this is turning out to be!

Ultramorph

I'm definitely looking forward to how River of Pain intersects with Fire and Stone!

On another note, we should probably start seeing advance reviews of AvP #1 in the next week, if the pattern so far holds.

RidgeTop

Aliens comic got off to a good start, although I'm wondering why they didn't just decide to stay in orbit, it's not like they'd have any advantage by landing on LV-223. The thing I can't stand though... the Aliens are traced pictures of NECA figures. Seriously, it's obvious. The artist can do people, ships, and environments fine, I have no idea why he'd do that with the Xenomorphs.

Ultramorph

Quote from: RidgeTop on Sep 26, 2014, 01:42:43 AM
Aliens comic got off to a good start, although I'm wondering why they didn't just decide to stay in orbit, it's not like they'd have any advantage by landing on LV-223. The thing I can't stand though... the Aliens are traced pictures of NECA figures. Seriously, it's obvious. The artist can do people, ships, and environments fine, I have no idea why he'd do that with the Xenomorphs.

Reyolds actually uses models for his human characters, too.

SM

Artists always use reference material.

Whether he used the figures as reference or traced them (personally I would've preferred them thinner in the waist and the hands were a bit OTT) - why does it matter?

Should he have just done it from memory?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed