What are you reading?

Started by Undeadite, Jul 16, 2008, 09:14:29 PM

Author
What are you reading? (Read 283,177 times)

alien ravager

alien ravager

hannibal rising

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

The title sort of explains it all. What was the last book you've read? What were your thoughts on it? Was it good? Terrible? Mediocre?

I'm going to start with the last two books that I've read.

The Forever War by Joe Haldeman 10/10

This book was amazing. It is one of the greatest things I have ever read. The characters are well developed, and you really get a feel for what William Mandela must have been going through and feeling while all of this is happening. It is right up there with 2001 as the greatest science-fiction book I've read. The plot engrossing and never loosens its grip on you. The themes are deep and meaningful. The settings are very plausible and believable. I can't even properly describe how mind-blowingly awesome this novel was. I cannot wait for Ridley Scott's film adaptation. If you enjoy science fiction, or just reading in general, you must read this book.

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane 8.5/10

A very creepy and engrossing novel. The story and the setting are compliment each other perfectly. The characters are well thought-out, especially Teddy Daniels, the protagonist. Everything just comes together in a very effective and spine-chilling manner. This has one of the best endings in anything I have ever read, watched, or played. The film will be very good. I also recommend this book to all those who enjoy curling up with a good book.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Jim Norton's I Hate Your Guts.

I pee'd a few time, it is so damn harsh and hilarious- definately not for the faint of heart!

Yautja117

Yautja117

Killer Pizza.
I'm not sure what made me pick it up, but it was fun horror/comedy. Reminds me of a more violent version of Percy Jackson and the Olympians. 8/10

adb142

adb142

A Salty Piece of Land by Jimmy Buffett

Eidotemit

Eidotemit

Space_Dementia

Space_Dementia

'Star Wars - The Force Unleashed' was the last book I read, currently reading 'Twilight'.

HitmonTom

HitmonTom

The Butlerian Jihad by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson

A nice prequel to the Dune series. However it can't touch the originals wrote by Frank Herbert.

SamHain

SamHain

The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien

keylight-di

keylight-di

Linda S. Cowden "Grimmie".

New face of Death. I like it.

Spaghetti

Spaghetti

Armor - John Steakley: Took me a while to get used to the way Mr. Steakley writes but I found it very good.

and

John Dies at the End - David Wong: love this thing so much its my second reading. Ridiculousness.

Huol

Huol

American Psycho

Undeadite

Undeadite

Quote from: Huol on Jan 27, 2010, 10:51:34 PM
American Psycho

I really need to read that again. I read it in high school and found it to be boring and not really that shocking.

I recently finished Guillermo del Toro and Chuck Hogan's The Strain. On several levels it felt like reading a different version of del Toro's Blad 2, but as a whole it was really suspenseful and disturbing. I really liked the new take on vampirism, one that has both a mythical and viral element.

Currently I'm reading Stephen King's latest big bastard Under the Dome. I'm 300 pages and barely a third in, and so far I can't put it down. His narration has taken a very laid back colloquial approach, and it contrasts nicely with the serious tension of the events that take place. Also, best use of characterization I've seen in a long time.

nexus

nexus

hardcore diaries by mick foley

it was ok, not as good as his two previous offerings tho.

Angel_Seb

Angel_Seb

E.E. Higgins "The Black Book of Secrets" (I read a lot of younger books), and I found it to be really good. I finished in about 2 days. Tomorrow I am going to buy the sequel.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed