I hate Alien Covenant

Started by GetThat81, Aug 11, 2023, 02:40:44 AM

Author
I hate Alien Covenant (Read 10,790 times)

reecebomb

reecebomb

Quote from: GetThat81 on Aug 11, 2023, 02:40:44 AMAm I the only one who hates Alien: Covenant with a passion?

I hate the fact that the android David destroyed a nation of space jockeys in a scene and also created the xenomorph species.

It's like Alien: Covenant wanted to make David as the focus of the Alien franchise instead of the xenomorphs and the Space Jockeys.

Not alone. I'm still not sure why certain fans of the original films love Covenant/Prometheus, they have none of the qualities of the original and ruin Alien's legacy in the process.
Imagine today's kids seeing Prometheus and Covenant before Alien. Both are terrible films (yeah Prometheus is pretty, like a high-end fragrance advertisement) in their own right, but how they affect the original films is criminal. If I had a button in front of me that would make the new prequels vanish from existence, I'd press it immediately. So safe to say I hate them passionately.

At least Alien: Resurrection has some redeemable elements and actually feels like a movie. The visual identity (even if it is largely brown) provided by Jenuet and Co, the cast with Weaver and Jenuet's regulars, some memorable set pieces easily put it above the prequels. Which are at least as stupid but without anything redeemable.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: reecebomb on Nov 15, 2023, 03:01:29 PMbut how they affect the original films is criminal

Sounds like you're letting the marketing concept of canon cuck you out of a good time.

SM

SM

Wondering which qualities they lack, which legacy is ruined, and indeed the concept of "original films". I'm guessing Resurrection doesn't - do the other three that were spread out over 13 years?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

They all upset me. >:(

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 15, 2023, 08:50:45 PM
Quote from: reecebomb on Nov 15, 2023, 03:01:29 PMbut how they affect the original films is criminal

Sounds like you're letting the marketing concept of canon cuck you out of a good time.

Why are you so based

SM

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 15, 2023, 11:13:47 PMThey all upset me. >:(

You are eminently upsettable.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

That's because they keep making upsetting movies.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 29, 2023, 12:20:56 AM

What a cool movie.

Awwwww <3

I found the scene cute, like the baby velociraptor from Jurassic Park. I don't mind at all, after all even real life deadly animals are really cute when they are newborns, before they are able to tears us apart. ;D 

That being said, I think David was contemplating his creation, as he did with the Neomorph, and as his creator did with him; creator-creation dynamics ala Frankenstein

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 22, 2023, 04:09:11 PM

What a cool movie.

Awwwww <3

I found the scene cute, like the baby velociraptor from Jurassic Park. I don't mind at all, after all even real life deadly animals are really cute when they are newborns, before they are able to tears us apart. ;D 

That being said, I think David was contemplating his creation, as he did with the Neomorph, and as his creator did with him; creator-creation dynamics ala Frankenstein

It's a vicious killing machine, not a real animal. Really hated how they downplayed their terror here. Nice one Ridley

Thatguy2068

Thatguy2068

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Nov 23, 2023, 09:19:02 PM

What a cool movie.
It's a vicious killing machine, not a real animal
Hey vicious killing machines can be cute too

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Thatguy2068 on Nov 23, 2023, 09:26:31 PMHey vicious killing machines can be cute too https://images.bauerhosting.com/empire/2023/04/chestburster.jpg?ar=16%3A9&fit=crop&crop=top&auto=format&w=1440&q=80
I'm talking about acting cute. It's not a creature of Earth, the xenomorph is a creature of the unknown from the deepest parts of space. Like the babies of the Pandora Predators in the Avatar films are and act cute because they are natural creatures of that environment, IE an animal. It's just an out of moment experience that undermines the tone of the movie. If I wanted silly, I look elsewhere, not in an Alien film. 

That being said, yeah I hate both Covenant and Prometheus. I don't see how people can justify the poor writing of both films. Like Engineers being creators of humans as well and not an unknown scary ass alien being that is beyond something that we can relate to? Nope huge pale man. Everything is human relative. Aliens created humans, the same tired trope I see people try to justify how the pyramids are built in a thinly veil attempt to cover racism because how else can people of color create civilization right? 

Or how the behavior of the humans in this film is so out of field from how actual logical people will act, a far cry from how the human the characters were in the first two Alien films. Take your helmet off in a unknown world you had just been for 15 mins, surely nothing can harm you there right? Poke at the unknown creature in an unknown remains of a lost alien civilization, what can go wrong? The list goes on and on and on........

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I agree with the racism in the pseudoscientific hypotheses of ancient astronauts in real life, but I don't think that was Ridley's intention at all. The man just used the trope to tell his story, like Anderson did in AVP.

The concept doesn't bother me at all when it's used in fiction, like in Quatermass and the Pit for example.

Regarding the Space Jockeys (or Pilots), there is no damage that cannot be repaired with future instalments; as happened recently with Aliens: Dark Descent or even the Alien RPG from Free League.

Personally, I like Engineers. They remind me of those creepy humanoids from Giger art, and I think they can subsist in the same universe with the Space Jockeys as separate entities.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 23, 2023, 10:28:55 PMwith the Space Jockeys as separate entities.

Or even as variations of the same entity, with a little bit of technobabble and some Pathogen-induced genetic modification sprinkled on top.

Biomechanical jazz, man.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 23, 2023, 10:28:55 PMPersonally, I like Engineers.

I want elephant man. >:(

kwisatz

kwisatz

Never gets old  :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed