Would you USE a full fledged A:CM SDK?

Started by Aceburster, Mar 14, 2013, 08:13:51 PM

If an SDK was released would you actually use it?

Yes, in a heartbeat.
No, its not worth the trouble to make this game fun.
I would just play other peoples mods.
I wouldnt even play this game modded.
Dillons blown off arm still firing his machine gun.
Author
Would you USE a full fledged A:CM SDK? (Read 1,782 times)

Aceburster

Aceburster

Its a straight up question that hasnt come up (as far as ive been able to search) as a straight up topic.

The AvP community are known for modding things, including every other game known to man in order to have an Aliens experience  ;D and lots of people have been vocal about one being released but how many people would download it and start making content?

Im by no means an expert on the graphical side of things but with a solid script editor I know I could have some fun and id like to take a whack at just making pretty looking levels. What are things you would want to do?

For the people who arent cut out for making things, would you like to play other peoples projects? Do you think that the community could show em how its done? Has this game left you too dead inside to ever turn it on again?

Lets talk about it.

I decided to put the idea out there on the Sega boards so nobody can claim ignorance. If anyone feels like giving them a holler then heres one place to do it. Took 2 seconds to sign up.

http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?474274-Request-for-an-SDK-from-the-fans

RagingDragon

The mod community is one of the last fortresses of old-school gaming genius and creative freedom left on today's scene. It really harks back to the glory days of young PC gaming, back when, you know, map packs were given away for free. :laugh:

Part of what is so frustrating about CM is the fact that they have so many good elements. The weapons are fine (though not perfect) sounds, music, even the models and levels are tolerable. It's almost like they just nerfed the presentation worse than everything else.

I think, given these same assets with a devoted team of programmers without their heads up their asses, it would be easy to craft a few levels or even a small campaign that is much closer to Aliens than the end product.

I mean shit, many people have already said the core things: remove or edit the goddamned horrible AI buddies, cut the WY idiots waaaay down (if you leave them in at all) and give the Lurker AI to the standard warrior. Those are just a few easy steps that would drastically change the flow, feel, and gameplay of the game.

Everything else is all frosting, and besides the graphics, it's mostly fine. It's the cake that sucks so hard. :laugh:

WinterActual

I will say yes but I am not exactly sure. I am Hammer mapper so I never tried the UDK but I may try to do some mapping for ACM if there was a SDK.

PsyKore

Yes. Without doubt.

JokersWarPig

I'd consider buying it for the PC if they released mod tools. Mods can be way better than their parent game, look at Project Reality for BF2

Aceburster

Interesting results thus far.

Curious how many AvP2 modders are still around and what their take would be. Map editor is a given but being able to build up new actors and events would be awwwweeeeesome for me. Would be sweet to make a map where you start as like Apone or something inside the AP and gotta just run outta there without getting smooshed or exploded lol.

Or just be able to invent more parts of the derelict to explore for fun. :D Find a Prometheus and shoot him in the face.

StoneHeart

Oh hell yes I would!
If we had an SDK and some skilled, willing people I bet we could put together a pretty nice campaign haha.

Also don't get me started on how many aliens I would model..

Terx2

Hell Yes. If a SDK was released I'd ask with the help of anyone willing to help to recreate the film Aliens into game form using dialogue, sounds and reference to the film. Either that or just mess around making MP maps like the derelict, LV223, Fury 161and so on. Also make the aliens look like camerons aliens more. Instead of the four finger we've had since Alien 3.

Quote from: StoneHeart on Mar 18, 2013, 03:35:27 AM
Oh hell yes I would!
If we had an SDK and some skilled, willing people I bet we could put together a pretty nice campaign haha.

Also don't get me started on how many aliens I would model..

I'd be up for it 8)

pixelbaron

It's always been a dream of mine to work tirelessly for four years on a mod for a shitty game, then finally releasing it to a fanfare of five people.

Not worth the time or the effort. You're better off just picking up the UDK for free and making your own Aliens game from scratch.

EvilPraetorian

I'd certainly use an SDK if one was made available.

piff

sad thing is there are no plans for new survivor maps or escape maps....

in any DLC, its all going to be single player updates, with bug hunts

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed