Something really doesnt seem right with Reid.

Started by Aceburster, Mar 09, 2013, 04:07:53 AM

Author
Something really doesnt seem right with Reid. (Read 7,962 times)

Aceburster

Aside from possibly being an Acturian...

Does anyone else feel like Reid was supposed to have a way different role in this game? Or was a last minute addition? Or is this more bad writing?

In the opening scene Cruz is rude to her.
Then he gives her a hard time again when youre going through the umbilical.
Bella seriously considers shooting her in the face.
Cruz tells her to shut it again after the Raven fight.

But shes the one that rescues you from the Sulaco and gets you to the surface alive.
She gets Hicks to safety.
Shes the one that takes care of the comm tower.
She knocks out the ship carrying the queen.
She flies you back off LV-426 and pulls an epic maneuver in order to get on the WY ship.

I figured winter was gonna punch her in the face Leviathan style at the end, not hug her since she got flak the whole game for being alive.

What gives?

Xhan

Yes, she had a different role.

At least she's still in the game, unlike Monday, squad leader who betrays you.

PRI. HUDSON

Dunno why, but I liked her. Even though she was kinda a stupid broad.

JokersWarPig

Quote from: Xhan on Mar 09, 2013, 06:18:57 AM
Yes, she had a different role.

At least she's still in the game, unlike Monday, squad leader who betrays you.

Woah, what??

Salt The Fries

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Mar 09, 2013, 07:17:14 AM
lol, me too, and I had the same feeling

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Salt The Fries on Mar 09, 2013, 08:01:31 AM
Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Mar 09, 2013, 07:17:14 AM
lol, me too, and I had the same feeling

Stupid broad? Hell no! She was asking all the important questions. Such as "why is the Sulaco back over LV-426?", "why would Weyland-Yutani board the Sulaco and bring it back here?" and "why would Wey-Yu risk open war with the marines?"

She was like an in-game SM.

Aceburster

I think this game could have benefitted from having her as the main. It kinda feels like she could have been but it got changed. Aliens needs one of those and none of the games ever do it for some reason... And yea, she was the smart and rational one and she got no respect. Was I supposed to think Bella was the strong female? HAHA! no. :|

ChanceVance

Funny enough I get the same feeling that she must have originally had a different role in the game as opposed to what the final product turned out to be or just a last minute addition because to my knowledge she was not featured whatsoever in any of the promotional material.
Still she ended up actually being one of the better characters in the game, she was the only one to actually ask questions about the mile-wide plot-holes regarding the situation they were in like the Sulaco being back over LV-426 and whatnot.

Grey_Yautja

Quote from: Aceburster on Mar 09, 2013, 12:22:56 PMAnd yea, she was the smart and rational one and she got no respect. Was I supposed to think Bella was the strong female? HAHA! no. :|
Well, considering every character in this game is dumb and the AI is crap, she is the smart one and the 'odd' one out, ergo why everyone else hates her guts.

OpenMaw

Quote from: ST on Mar 09, 2013, 11:51:35 AM
Stupid broad? Hell no! She was asking all the important questions. Such as "why is the Sulaco back over LV-426?", "why would Weyland-Yutani board the Sulaco and bring it back here?" and "why would Wey-Yu risk open war with the marines?"

She was like an in-game SM.

Indeed, and all the abuse she takes is akin to all the B.S. Gearbox has fed us. It makes perfect sense now.

ACR

ACR

Reid was easily the best character in the game and the only one with an actual personality and sense of individuality. Though she had her shaky moments, but she was a pretty strong woman in her own right considering the position she was in. It made me feel some sort of respect and sympathy for her. She is a pilot who eventually is put out of her element. Forced to the ground and armed with one of the least effective weapon (The SMG) against the Xenomorphs. She must have felt a little like Issac Clark (first game) in that situation, though the difference is that most of the team she was in survived by the end of the game. Issac's didn't. She was a pilot who at least had a gun to back her up if she met trouble, Issac had jackshit and had to find or buy his weapons. = P

Still, she deserved to be in a different and better ALIENs game. = P

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

I think she plays a similar role to Lambert in Alien. She's someone the audience can identify with - she is afraid and asks the kind of questions that the viewer would ask. When O'Neal gets abducted she does the sensible thing by insisting that it's better to leave him behind. She's quite a contrast to all the other macho bad-ass stereotypes in the game.

JokersWarPig

So she basically plays the role of Hudson, who played the marine/man version of Lambert. Except I don't think Lambert did anything to "redeem" her character other than flying them aboard the WY vessel

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Mar 09, 2013, 07:09:02 PM
So she basically plays the role of Hudson, who played the marine/man version of Lambert. Except I don't think Lambert Reid did anything to "redeem" her character other than flying them aboard the WY vessel

Quote from: Aceburster on Mar 09, 2013, 04:07:53 AM
But shes the one that rescues you from the Sulaco and gets you to the surface alive.
She flies you back off LV-426 and pulls an epic maneuver in order to get on the WY ship.

JokersWarPig

Quote from: ST on Mar 09, 2013, 07:15:18 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Mar 09, 2013, 07:09:02 PM
So she basically plays the role of Hudson, who played the marine/man version of Lambert. Except I don't think Lambert Reid did anything to "redeem" her character other than flying them aboard the WY vessel

Quote from: Aceburster on Mar 09, 2013, 04:07:53 AM

My bad mixing the two names up.
Hicks is the one who drove the APC, so technically he got her to safety - "You didn't specify which direction to drive the APC...sir."
I mentioned her managing to get you on the WY ship, to me that was her only redeeming quality.
Bishop probably could have gotten the comm relay back online (much faster and with out the monologue).
I thought taking out the queens ship was the collective effort of the 2/3 drop ships involved. i could be wrong though.

I don't like Reid because, well she says it herself, she's scared because she's just a pilot. A pilot with poge tendencies. I don't think Mikey (I hate that name...) ever read up on any downed pilot's for the role of Reid.
Given these are Aliens and not enemy soldiers we're talking about, I'd still expect a soldier regardless of MOS to act like a soldier, Hudson was crying half the time but he still did his job. Reid, to me, was just there as a plot device who is in the way half the time.

I still want to know who this "Monday" character is if anyone has anymore info

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed