HAS ANYONE ELSE DONE IT BETTER THAN A:CM?

Started by acrediblesource, Feb 20, 2013, 09:44:40 PM

WHO HAS  DONE IT BETTER AND PROPERLY? (read below)

AVP 99
AVP 2
AVP 2010
A:CM
Author
HAS ANYONE ELSE DONE IT BETTER THAN A:CM? (Read 5,201 times)

JokersWarPig

The idea of purchasing DLC has basically stopped the release of SDK, which ends mods like this hadleys hope one before they can begin. It's a shame, since mods can keep a game alive for years after it's prime player peak is over. One mod that I remember breathing new life into a game is Project Reality for Battle Field 2. i think the mods still has a lot of full 64 player servers up.
If gearbox released the SDK for this game I'm sure modders would have a field day, the basic premise of good game modes like escape and survivor are there. All they need are a fans touch.

windebieste

One option open to SEGA is to charge for DLC as planned, and release the SDK.  But only make third party content usable if ALL DLC packages are installed.  It's not too much to expect, really, because DLC will most likely include extra assets anyway.  Stuff like models, textures, sounds etc.

So, to my way of thinking, sure, charge for DLC and make the SDK freely available to modders but any content generated will require that DLC be installed.  That way, any fan made content is still dependent on sales of DLC and we still have a modding community.  I've got no problem with that.

My problem with the DLC model as it stands is that it's sole purpose is to rake more money out of the fans without any great return; but adding SDK support onto that lessens the pain we have had to endure to date and everyone benefits from a modding community.  It's not too late to have one despite the game's poor reception.  Otherwise, I just don't think we will see one beyond texture and sound replacements without an SDK.

-Windebieste.

OpenMaw

Yeah, because forcing your customers to pay upwards of a hundred plus dollars to get the full experience is REALLY going to generate good will and support a healthy community. Come on.

windebieste

Of course; and I agree with you because right now, that is EXACTLY what will happen.  With no additional benefits whatsoever.

My proposal throws in the free SDK as well, so people like myself who are happy to create custom content FOR FREE! and at no extra cost to SEGA either, makes it somewhat more viable to purchase otherwise dead end DLC.

Either way, without mod support - this game's community is reduced to well below 10% of what it has the potential to be.  Including additional sales for SEGA.  Unfortunately, 6 years of development and 60 million dollars spent on it kinda dries up the dev pool to accommodate release of SDK.

Just expect trashy pay for DLC and a game with a shelf life that expired last week. 

-Windebieste.

acrediblesource

The mod looks great but you know its easy to tell what is a fan made material and what was crafted for ACM.

Cal427eb

Quote from: acrediblesource on Feb 21, 2013, 12:28:08 AM
So the top three games in the poll actually had a Derelict ship in it? I'm surprised guys! But 10 plus people agreed that it did! unless they are bsing in this poll.

READ: points 1-4. That is ALL this poll is about!
Why include them in the options if they don't even meet the requirements?  :P

windebieste

true, and there a few applicable caveats here.  Nonetheless, the mod scores 9/10 by users on both the AvP2 FileFront download page and ModDB.  That's not bad.  I'll agree that the mod is a bit more shabby having been released years ago and was the work of a few unpaid dedicated enthusiasts.

On the other hand, user ratings for 'A:CM' on Metacritic are, what... exactly?  Oh yeah.  Under 5.  Not exactly a stellar score for a game that has been in development for 6 years by multiple teams of professionals using the latest tech. 

Tell you what... give me 60 million dollars, I'll assemble a dev team and we will make a kick ass ALIEN game better than that thing that was released this month.  Actually, give me 10% of that, and I will still have a team produce something twice as good in half the time...

-Windebieste.

PsyKore

In relation to the film, aesthetically speaking, ACM has the most authentic presentation ever done in a game. Everything from the look of the levels (Hadley's Hope especially), the Aliens, the weapons, it all looks the best. So in that way - totally going by looks and authenticity - no other game has done it better. But there's no convincing mood or atmosphere to really back it all up (not to mention the hundred other detrimental aspects about the game).

Such a shame there's no substance; seems like a waste of good level design.

Hudson

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 21, 2013, 05:57:29 AM
In relation to the film, aesthetically speaking, ACM has the most authentic presentation ever done in a game. Everything from the look of the levels (Hadley's Hope especially), the Aliens, the weapons, it all looks the best. So in that way - totally going by looks and authenticity - no other game has done it better. But there's no convincing mood or atmosphere to really back it all up (not to mention the hundred other detrimental aspects about the game).

I was more impressed visually by AvP, AvP2, and AvP3 at the time of their respective releases than I am with ACM currently. Shit, I'm still more impressed by AvP3.

PsyKore

Quote from: Hudson on Feb 21, 2013, 06:16:31 AM
Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 21, 2013, 05:57:29 AM

I was more impressed visually by AvP, AvP2, and AvP3 at the time of their respective releases than I am with ACM currently. Shit, I'm still more impressed by AvP3.

Well, I'm not impressed with the graphics of ACM, but when it comes to the closest representation to the film in regard to looks, ACM wins.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2013, 11:00:45 PM
QuoteI'm pretty sure he's referring to Aliens Arcade.

Awww yeah!

Is that the one with my giant facehugger?

livin_target

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Feb 21, 2013, 02:14:19 AM
The idea of purchasing DLC has basically stopped the release of SDK, which ends mods like this hadleys hope one before they can begin. It's a shame, since mods can keep a game alive for years after it's prime player peak is over. One mod that I remember breathing new life into a game is Project Reality for Battle Field 2. i think the mods still has a lot of full 64 player servers up.
If gearbox released the SDK for this game I'm sure modders would have a field day, the basic premise of good game modes like escape and survivor are there. All they need are a fans touch.

And the ironic thing is that mods can greatly increase sales (I'd guess more so than DLC). Halflife shifted a number of copies because of mods like Day of Defeat and Counterstrike; the Elder Scolls games will often sell well partly because of their ability to be modded and a game like ArmA2- designed for a niche market of "realistic action" gamers- re-entered and topped charts because of custom content like DayZ.

9th_Stew

avp2 was great (crap netcode and silly cartoon engine) but other than that we was able to mod it even though we wasn't given the modding tools.. The fact the game is still played today speaks for itself.

:D

OpenMaw

Quote from: windebieste on Feb 21, 2013, 03:11:09 AM
Of course; and I agree with you because right now, that is EXACTLY what will happen.  With no additional benefits whatsoever.

My proposal throws in the free SDK as well, so people like myself who are happy to create custom content FOR FREE! and at no extra cost to SEGA either, makes it somewhat more viable to purchase otherwise dead end DLC.

Either way, without mod support - this game's community is reduced to well below 10% of what it has the potential to be.  Including additional sales for SEGA.  Unfortunately, 6 years of development and 60 million dollars spent on it kinda dries up the dev pool to accommodate release of SDK.

Just expect trashy pay for DLC and a game with a shelf life that expired last week. 

-Windebieste.

And that's my counter-point. If it requires you to own all the DLC, it's not free. You'd be paying around a hundred bucks to have the "right" to do modwork on this game.

SPECIAL FORCES

How the hell is AvP2010 close to AvP'01 and especially AvP'99!!!

Age limit please!!!   :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed