HAS ANYONE ELSE DONE IT BETTER THAN A:CM?

Started by acrediblesource, Feb 20, 2013, 09:44:40 PM

WHO HAS  DONE IT BETTER AND PROPERLY? (read below)

AVP 99
AVP 2
AVP 2010
A:CM
Author
HAS ANYONE ELSE DONE IT BETTER THAN A:CM? (Read 5,200 times)

acrediblesource

I know the 3D quality in games have change through out the years, but the question and poll that needs to be placed here to determine for eager fans and/or casual gamers alike, is did ACM capture the following:
1. The Derelict as it stood in Alien/Aliens in all it's detail.
2. LV426 planet as we seen in Aliens
3. Hadley's Hope environment/ clostrophobic setting, mood,detail,  functionality, etc,
4. The xenomorph appearance and presense from Alien/Aliens  (regardless of costume FLAWS translated to 3d)

Bar none we have played many incarnations of a FPS Aliens game, so regardles of how ACM performed gameplay wise, i'm sure many will agree that being FPS in itself is as gratifying as it were in every iteration regardless of animated goodness or elaborate scripted sequences.

We are strictly aiming at a poll that gives a measure of how ACM fairs compared to the other titles in it's comparable likeness.

This will give  a more objective common ground of comparison rather than being a subjective rant about canon.
Vote now and let the people know!

Enenra

Are you kidding me? Even AvP3 shits on this game, it doesn't hold a candle to AvP or the masterpiece AvP2.

PRI. HUDSON

I am in the minority but I ALWAYS loved AVP 99 more than 2002. Both did things better than the other but I felt 99 was more authentic.

I really love those games though. I am still trying to get my AVP 2002 MP set up. I replay the campaigns all the time.

Elicas

I voted for AVP99 and AVP2010, on the strength of the Marine single player. 99 was the best, due to the speed and ferocity of the Aliens, 2010 was the most atmospheric and closest to being 'on set' due to the quality of the environments. None of the AVP games had particularly great multiplayer, due to having poxy Predators involved. AVP2's marine campaign was piss poor in my opinion, and A:CM shits on everything good on this green earth.

SM

Konami 1990

PRI. HUDSON

OpenMaw

Quote from: PRI. HUDSON on Feb 20, 2013, 10:25:48 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 20, 2013, 10:20:47 PM
Konami 1990

Jaguar, right?

Nope. Jaguar AVP was also by Rebellion.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to Aliens Arcade.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCdbfg7EKI4#ws

Even someone in the comments said:

Ben gogley 1 day ago
This game totally rockt. they could have just redid the graphics and got a better game than the new one is.

Hahaha. I would have loved to see that. Put it on XBOX Arcade and STEAM.

PRI. HUDSON

I forgot about the arcade game. I played it like, maybe 4 times or so. I was only 5-6 years old. I had no idea what I was doing. I never made it past the level with the APC. I think it was level 2 or something.

I loved AVP's arcade game. Shit was DOPE.

SM

QuoteI'm pretty sure he's referring to Aliens Arcade.

Awww yeah!

Elicas

Someone put Randy Pitchfords voice over that arcade games video talking about being canonical lol. Love the pink and blue Aliens, with green gargoyle Aliens and snake Aliens, I wonder if this is what Randy watched when decided on A:CMs canon.

PRI. HUDSON

Quote from: Elicas on Feb 20, 2013, 11:02:24 PM
Someone put Randy Pitchfords voice over that arcade games video talking about being canonical lol. Love the pink and blue Aliens, with green gargoyle Aliens and snake Aliens, I wonder if this is what Randy watched when decided on A:CMs canon.

LOLZ.

AVP arcade > ACM

JokersWarPig

I'm slightly biased, I haven't played the older AVP games as I didnt have a gaming PC then. From '06 to '11 I only play BFV, BF2, Killing Floor and L4D on my gaming PC before it took a dive. I'd like to play the old AVP's eventually though.
I think ACM is fun and all, but AVP2010's Marine campaign was more intense...and I think it had a better story. Hell, the only thing AVP2010 actually lacked imo was iron sights.

acrediblesource

So the top three games in the poll actually had a Derelict ship in it? I'm surprised guys! But 10 plus people agreed that it did! unless they are bsing in this poll.

READ: points 1-4. That is ALL this poll is about!

OpenMaw

Quote from: acrediblesource on Feb 21, 2013, 12:28:08 AM
So the top three games in the poll actually had a Derelict ship in it? I'm surprised guys! But 10 plus people agreed that it did! unless they are bsing in this poll.

READ: points 1-4. That is ALL this poll is about!

AVP 99 had THE derelict in it. AvP 2 had landmark structure and craft based on the SJ's including another pilot's chair.

windebieste

windebieste

Quote from: acrediblesource on Feb 20, 2013, 09:44:40 PM...capture the following:
1. The Derelict as it stood in Alien/Aliens in all it's detail.
2. LV426 planet as we seen in Aliens
3. Hadley's Hope environment/ clostrophobic setting, mood,detail,  functionality, etc,

Yup...  did all those things.  All by myself - all wrapped up in a single player mod for AvP2.  Well, actually, don't tell anybody... but a few people did help out - and I am grateful for their assistance.  Nonetheless, I did about 80-90% of the work.

Information and download 'Hostile Appetite' mod for AvP2. 

The mod does take certain liberties with canon; but you do get to play as an Alien in a very different single player campaign.  You will start inside the derelict ship's cargo hold as a recently hatched facehugger, become an adult alien, slaughter all 158 colonists and eventually settle into the atmosphere processor as the Queen. 

Don't forget!   This is a mod for a 10 year old game.  Nonetheless it still remains a testament to what modders can actually do when the SDK is actually available. 

Either way, yes.  It's been done before.  At no cost to you.   You just need AvP2 installed and it's yours.  Enjoy.

-Windebieste.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed