JUMPING

Started by acrediblesource, Aug 11, 2012, 03:39:08 PM

Author
JUMPING (Read 3,236 times)

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

I always encounter this in FPS shooters where you jump trying to reach the top of a crate and you can't jump high enough.
Has anyone encountered a game where if you can't reach the top that there is a GRAB feature while in mid-air onto the ledge that is too high up?

I'm seeing this in the ACM multiplayer game play, the marines sometimes are seen jumping (looks ridiculous btw) and one instance where your character is jumping trying to get ontop of a crate, but no luck. and its just a few inches too high!

I'd rather not have them implement a MEGAMAN jumping system to compensate.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I don't mind the 'pull-yourself-up' feature in games, as it opens the levels up much more, but I've always hated the fact that the jumping function has led to endless bunny-hopping and jumping headshots.

They need a stamina gauge for your jump, just like Left4Dead's melee stamina gauge, that doesn't let you jump an unlimited amount of times.

But no gamer wants realism, what am I talking about!  We need to be able to sprint backwards and sideways up stairs while firing with complete accuracy before jumping out a window and getting a 360 quick-scope headshot.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Hrm, from what I recall from Mass Effect, jumping wasn't  an active control rather it was instigated via a spacebar action at specific locations.

As an action, Grabbing/climbing/jumping over is instigated at every ladder and small table sized object that wasn't obstructed on the other side. 

I would love this feature.  Its  a combat advantage to reach a vantage point or be able to view an area at a higher perspective. Plus, it just makes the virtual environment much more engaging and real.

this.

Quote from: RagingDragon on Aug 11, 2012, 04:00:54 PM
I don't mind the 'pull-yourself-up' feature in games, as it opens the levels up much more, but I've always hated the fact that the jumping function has led to endless bunny-hopping and jumping headshots.

They need a stamina gauge for your jump, just like Left4Dead's melee stamina gauge, that doesn't let you jump an unlimited amount of times.

But no gamer wants realism, what am I talking about!  We need to be able to sprint backwards and sideways up stairs while firing with complete accuracy before jumping out a window and getting a 360 quick-scope headshot.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CEUQtwIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhODQ7xFBN0k&ei=aWwqUMq9NYjJyAH0mIDYCw&usg=AFQjCNH2mMu8PAJO_YyCjefgg2ri8sBhgg&cad=rja

5:16
- alien jumps at you and you can 'defend' and respond to the atttack with a punch punch fire tactic.

Can anyone confirm if this action will be common gameplay or was this just scripted in the cinematic?
The only way to confirm this is to find this happening in third person in one of the multiplayer videos.
* I do see this happenening in the multiplayer footage (Alien lands on marine, marine falls down facing alien, marine continues to shoot at alien, alien then mames marine with tail), we seem to be missing the punch punch shoot action that would ultimately end the Alien's attack.   It could be that they had left it out of this alpha build, i'm not sure.

I most definitely want this as part of gameplay and not just one but many different combinations of getting our of a jam. how could they not put it in there?

PsyKore

PsyKore

It's pretty retarded to punch aliens.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

You comment is retarded.

Quote from: PsyKore on Aug 15, 2012, 05:45:19 AM

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

I can't stand punching aliens either.  Punching them wouldn't do a damned thing.  They can ram through steel doors with their heads and withstand 9mm rounds as well as total vacuum.

Why on earth would punching one ever be an option?

The only games to do that are the recent ones, which is part of why they've sucked so bad.  AvP 2010 failed partially because of the broken melee system where a marine could pistol-whip an alien and knock it on its ass.

That's totally fail.  If an Alien gets that close, the only choices you should have are to run or die.

I might be supportive of something like a combat roll, especially since Hicks actually did that in Aliens, after he tried to save Hudson, but that's the only melee I could stand besides maybe a block.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

No, punching is impossible when the punch landed scores as huge as the last AVP game which i heard throws the alien back a few feet. The punches hear if anyone had balls enough to go watch the videos, only knocks the aliens head enough for the marine to get his finger trigger on.

Thats about as far as a punch should go in a game.
And by this type attack im also refering to anything from clenched fist to a open handed throw or even a sturdy kick.  But i digress, so long as it looks realistic in the alien world and is only enough to get you shooting at the end.

So unless you don't want anything in the game other than shooting you're looking at going back to 1999 aVp gameplay. That would suck. I'd rather just Watch an ACM walkthrough on youtube rather than buy it and even so, it wouldn't be that interesting without the variation.

Quote from: RagingDragon on Aug 15, 2012, 03:08:04 PM
I can't stand punching aliens either.  Punching them wouldn't do a damned thing.  They can ram through steel doors with their heads and withstand 9mm rounds as well as total vacuum.

Why on earth would punching one ever be an option?

The only games to do that are the recent ones, which is part of why they've sucked so bad.  AvP 2010 failed partially because of the broken melee system where a marine could pistol-whip an alien and knock it on its ass.

That's totally fail.  If an Alien gets that close, the only choices you should have are to run or die.

I might be supportive of something like a combat roll, especially since Hicks actually did that in Aliens, after he tried to save Hudson, but that's the only melee I could stand besides maybe a block.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

Doesn't sound boring to me, sounds great.  I'd much rather play a game that's difficult but allows me to learn and adapt, therefore creating an entirely new experience as I have to play this shooter differently than all of the others due to the unique enemies, than a game that holds my hand at every opportunity and makes things unrealistic for the sake of easier gameplay.

That's the whole point of playing an Aliens game, that you get to fight Aliens and they're different and unique and scary and demand a different playstyle and learning/developing new strategies to beat them that you wouldn't have in a standard shooter.

Punching just makes them into more space raptors.  Hell, you couldn't even punch a raptor, contrary to the stupid scenes in movies.  They would simply bite your hand/foot off if you tried.

Melee is fine in most shooters with human enemies, or zombies or something, but Aliens are a different story.

You shouldn't need melee bs for gameplay variation.  You should be plenty busy running, using your tracker, shooting, learning how and when to apply grenades, welding doors, avoiding ambushes, avoiding acid, trying different weapons, using sentries, etc...  Plenty of authentic actions to make gameplay interesting.

Coordinating with a squad of marines would be the most epic, with the pulse rifles engaging Aliens at long range while the flame units/shotguns crouch beside them, ready to suppress those Aliens that get close, or something like that.  But no, we can't have something that cool. :laugh:

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

for the record, in the gameplay video, Winters hits the alien with the stock of his rifle, not really a punch.

RagingDragon

RagingDragon

That's a bit more credible, not as bad as a punch ffs, but still doesn't seem like it would work against an uninjured Alien.

acrediblesource

acrediblesource

Either way, to me it just makes viewing the alien more freightening. I'm just sick of seeing them on the screen, tiny as an ant, running so quick as not to see them at all. It detracts from the cinematic essence.  So long as we get plenty of these cuts them it would make it more exciting.

THere should be some moneyshot value taken place in several ways. To me it would be a waste not to with all this high polygon goodness and the fact that the Aliens are modelled much closer to the movie version than the other games have ever been. I'm not sure if this was conscious decision in the past, but now that its here....game on.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: acrediblesource on Aug 15, 2012, 02:33:49 PM
You comment is retarded.

Quote from: PsyKore on Aug 15, 2012, 05:45:19 AM

No, just being able to punch aliens is.

You're entitled to want that gameplay, but to me it lessens the aliens intimidation and their fright-o-meter if you can punch them or push them off. I think what made the early AvP games tense, and even Alien trilogy and Resurrection on PS1, was that if they got close to you, you were dead or going to be badly wounded. It's almost survival-horror in that aspect; and it's appropriate gameplay for the aliens.

p1nk81cd

p1nk81cd

Punching a Xeno is both silly and suicidal. Who the frag punches one of these things--you'd likely never see the hand and forearm again. Right before you are disemboweled for agitating her...   ::)

WinterActual

WinterActual

If we already have punches, grappling and stuff like that, GBX should add various wrestle moves. Like suplex, DDT, piledriver, stunner etc.

But with xenos.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed