Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film!

Started by MudButt, Mar 04, 2022, 10:06:48 PM

Author
Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film! (Read 62,888 times)

Gieferg

Well, I'm not paying for streaming only movies. Never did, never will.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 05, 2022, 03:53:45 AM
I'm vexed it isn't a resolution to the David arc though.

Yeah. I always figured we'd eventually end up with an era of relatively contained installments from new voices tackling Alien (like Hawley and Alvarez are now – though I never imagined that that entire future would be entirely relegated to Hulu), and that's something I was very much looking forward to (the whole appeal of Alien as an ongoing franchise to me is the differening voices and interpretations of the material), but I also really, honestly thought that Ridley would be given one more film to close out his prequel narrative, even after the Disney/Fox acquisition, before we pivoted in this particular direction. Maybe that was just me being naively optimistic about the powers at play here.

Quote from: SiL on Mar 05, 2022, 08:50:33 AMI really just don't seem to care any more :-[ Direct to streaming Alien movies just feels like such an end of an era.

I think that about sums it up well. The era of Alien as a sort of prestige franchise with semi-regular major installments that hit the big screen once or twice a decade is very much behind us now, in favor of the more rapid-fire, multi-release onslaught that is contemporary Star Wars/Marvel/DC... and like Star Wars, it seems that Alien is now mostly being relegated to streaming.

I hope Alien doesn't crash under this weight, and that these projects are interesting but... I'm mostly just tired I think. I want this film, and the Hawley series, to be great, but I can see myself getting very overwhelmed very very quickly by this sudden pivot into what the franchise is going to be moving forward. Having two separate Alien projects in the works at the same time now is a lot – perhaps too much – to chew on.

I'm going to try to be optimistic about both projects. I don't want them to fail, I want to love them. But it's a whole different ballgame now, and not one I'm entirely sure Alien is fit to be playing.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I'll give it a chance, just like the TV series and Prey. Hope for the best but I can't say I'm excited yet.

If I see a trailer for one of these new projects and it looks good then I'll get excited.

Xiggz456

Great news! So hyped! Hulu is spoiling us and I'm all for it!

Gentleman Death

"Can you show me on this Mickey Mouse doll, where Disney touched you?"

[cancerblack]

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 05, 2022, 01:45:05 PM
Prey

Ironically I'm more excited for Prey than either Alien project, and I know I'm not the only primarily-Alien-fan around here who feels that way.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 05, 2022, 04:47:25 PM
Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 05, 2022, 01:45:05 PM
Prey

Ironically I'm more excited for Prey than either Alien project, and I know I'm not the only primarily-Alien-fan around here who feels that way.

You can use my name.  :D

426Buddy

I'm not sold yet on any of it yet but Prey so far is the most interesting project for me.

I don't know any of Hawleys work though so hard form any opinions the TV series yet.

Xeno_from_Cheno

Xeno_from_Cheno

When Disney first started expaning, it was Star Wars expendable. The next time they worked on the Predator franchise; it was expendable too. What makes you think they're gonna care about a franchise about aliens terrorizing people in space? They think the movie going audience is crud and they don't give a **** about one friend of yours who paid to see one of their lousy movies.

RIP77

RIP77

Fox  since 2023 is a streaming plataform. ALL movies in streaming less   2 or 3. ONLY bif movies with box office big in cinemas. Alien bomb in Covenant.

Next movies for Scott, Mangold   in Fox only Hulo. Disney kill Fox.

Sabres21768

As long as Ridley isn't attached to this, I'm in.

426Buddy

Did you not read the article? Ridley is all over this surprisingly.

acrediblesource

As stated in Bloodydusgustings article
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3705942/alien-franchise-resurrected-by-evil-dead-director-fede-alvarez/
"The project is described as "an original standalone feature", which is a breath of fresh air after several big swings by Scott himself."

What is a breath of fresh air? Hate to say this but it sounds like its going to be a lack luster teen scream attempt at rebooting the franchise and if there is no Giger origins, its probably going to suck. Evil Dead being great or not...if it resembles that effort, then all it will be is a tightly cut , noir film with fire in the background. Nothing about it will scream lore at all.

"Got you into the theatre didn't we?"
"Got you talking about it in the forums didn't we?"
job done.

BlueMarsalis79

Sometimes you can just make something that works well and that's an accomplishment in of itself.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed