Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1052

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 569,041 times)

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 01, 2013, 03:18:17 AM
Quote from: Cvalda on Apr 01, 2013, 03:12:18 AM
Theatrical cut is better anyway. Leaner, meaner, and none of the cringe-inducing stuff like Hudson's "badass" monologue or the "Don't be gone long, Ellen" exchange, ugh.

I liked Hudson's "badass" monologue, actually :D And the "Ellen" exchange, I'm kind of take it or leave it. I like the point its making, but it is a bit forced.

The only thing that annoys me a bit in the extended cut is the cut from Ripley learning her daughter died to her meeting with the WY execs. The stuff with Ripley's daughter is great, but the transition in her character from one scene to the next is a bit jarring.

My thoughts exactly.

Also something else I noticed. In the opening shot of the shuttle right before it's picked up by the salvage crew, when the camera is panning around inside the dark interior, I SWEAR there's a silhouette of a Jockey in the corner. I wish had a screen cap to illustrate it, but if you look closely, it's on the wall to what would be the right of the cryo-tube. You can make out a trunk as well as the thing's head. I'm sure it's just a coat or something like that but it looks like an honest-to-goodness Jockey.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Theatrical + Derelict 'discovery' would be the perfect version.

szkoki

szkoki

nah unnecessary scene really

turret scene is what im missing from the theatrical cut, shows how smarter are the aliens

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Omegazilla on Apr 01, 2013, 11:52:40 AMTheatrical + Derelict 'discovery' would be the perfect version.

Never liked the derelict scene or any of the 'pre invasion' scenes on the colony - as good as they are, they kind of just plop in to fill back story that doesn't need to be filled. I also prefer Newt as the nobody lost child, rather than the traumatized daughter of the guy who found the alien ship - too smart for its own good and forgets why Newt works IMO.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

But 'dat atmosphere, man.

Really links you with the discovery of the ship in the first film. I freaking love that.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Derelict discovery is in for me. Going immediately from "the colony's fine!" to "we've lost contact with the colony!" is hilarious. The Hadley's Hope scenes for me are heavy with doom - everyone we see, even that kid on the tricycle, is going to die a horrific, protracted,  alien rape death. Seeing them flustered by rain and disobedient kids and just the general blue-collar bullshit has a great effect on me. Death is just around the corner and nobody knows...

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

I agree. The image of the child on the tricycle is especially haunting, always found.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Omegazilla on May 02, 2013, 03:27:27 PM
I agree. The image of the child on the tricycle is especially haunting, always found.

I wonder why? :P

Cvalda

Cvalda

Too bad the acting in the derelict discovery scene is atrocious.

"I'LL TAN BOTH YOUR HIDES!"

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Alien (closely followed by Alien 3) as it is one of my favorite top-20 movies of all time. Such a masterpiece if you ask me.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 02, 2013, 07:09:09 PM

'xactly.

DoomRulz

DoomRulz

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 02, 2013, 02:59:43 PM
Quote from: Omegazilla on Apr 01, 2013, 11:52:40 AMTheatrical + Derelict 'discovery' would be the perfect version.

Never liked the derelict scene or any of the 'pre invasion' scenes on the colony - as good as they are, they kind of just plop in to fill back story that doesn't need to be filled. I also prefer Newt as the nobody lost child, rather than the traumatized daughter of the guy who found the alien ship - too smart for its own good and forgets why Newt works IMO.

I'd agree with this. Newt's a survivor and that's all anyone really needs to know. The dialogue in the theatrical cut does a good enough job of setting up what happened even if a viewer hasn't seen Alien beforehand.

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Valaquen on May 02, 2013, 03:14:23 PMGoing immediately from "the colony's fine!" to "we've lost contact with the colony!" is hilarious.

True, the film doesn't do enough to establish the time difference, but everything else in the extra scenes is established effectively in dialogue, making them feel out of place IMO. Cool scenes, just superfluous I reckon.

Quote from: Valaquen on May 02, 2013, 03:14:23 PM...even that kid on the tricycle, is going to die a horrific, protracted, alien rape death.

Lalalalalalalalalalalalala, I can't hear you. ;D

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on May 02, 2013, 07:09:09 PM

I wonder if it was a deliberate nod? The kid on the tricycle alone  wouldnt suggest it, but coupled with other nods to Kubrick such as using Gayane's Adagio for space shots of floating spaceship and the use of Lovejoy, it may be a possibility

SM

SM

Quote from: ChrisPachi on May 02, 2013, 02:59:43 PM

None of the extra footage is needed.  It's only building on what's already there in the theatrcial cut; not adding anything new.  Even arguably detracting with the ever-so-convenient "Guess what - Ripley had a daughter!  :) But she's all old and dead.  :(  But nevermind - here's another one!  :)"

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed