Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1052

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 568,969 times)

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 24, 2012, 02:23:25 PM
Count in length and kind of action.

Yes, that too. "Kind" I already mentioned as "scope/scale"

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Whoops, sorry man. My bad.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 24, 2012, 12:49:14 AM
I'm making a case for Alien as essentially being the classiest and most artistically perfect of the Alien films, but for the record my favorite film ever is Aliens.
I only addressed your calling of Alien as the only objective masterpiece (revolutionary had nothing to do with it - you don't have to be revolutionary to be a masterpiece), when both films are roundly called masterpieces, not just by fans, but by the industry.
Quote from: DoomRulz on Mar 24, 2012, 02:07:54 PM
People preferring Aliens over Alien is not surprising considering most movie goers would rather watch a fast paced action flick than a slow and methodical sci-fi horror movie.
A faced paced action movie where we don't see a creature for the first hour, and with a total of three (Hive, Operations, and Nest-Sulaco) action sequences? As said before, the finale of the film isn't the sum of the film. The suspense in the film was ratcheted so high that Roger Ebert complained of knots in his stomach for weeks.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

And also, apparently moviegoers DO like seeing slow paced methodical horrors if they rank one just as high

Hudson

Hudson

QuoteThe suspense in the film was ratcheted so high that Roger Ebert complained of knots in his stomach for weeks.

Yeah, I was going to bring that up. I think he described the film as making him really uncomfortable, but also recognized that it was an awesome movie.

aliennaire

aliennaire

I didn't read a lot of analysises on difference between Alien and Aliens, and what makes Cameron's film to look more action movie in comparison to the first one, but my personal explanation for this is because Aliens has bigger variety of places when events happen (Narcissus, Gateway's medical room, conference room, Ripley's cubicle, Sulaco... APC... LV-426...) and characters on screen are always busy with something, whether it is work or friendly chatter. Thus, the density of events/persons for footage is higher, making the film to seem more action-filled, than its ancestor, with no bigger number of violent scenes here. THe simple way I distinguish it.

Hudson

Hudson

I think it's classified as an action film because people are firing machine guns, grenade launchers, and flamethrowers. Not because Ripley wakes up from a nightmare in her apartment on a space station after she goes to a meeting in a conference room.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 24, 2012, 12:54:08 AM
Rotten Tomatoes

Alien 97%
Aliens 100%
Alien has more positive reviews than Aliens on RT, but it also has one or two negative reviews, hence the lower percentage.

Not to poo-poo the RT score, it's just interesting to note. On the flipside, while Aliens has less votes than Alien on the IMDb, it has more 9/10 or 10/10 ratings.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: SiL on Mar 24, 2012, 10:16:03 PM
Alien has more positive reviews than Aliens on RT, but it also has one or two negative reviews, hence the lower percentage.
The only two negative reviews for ALIEN on RT are from short-sighted critics from 1979 whose opinions are laughable today. Annoying. >:(

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Quote from: StrangeShape on Mar 24, 2012, 12:54:08 AM
Rotten Tomatoes

Alien 97%
Aliens 100%

Not to poo-poo the RT score, it's just interesting to note. On the flipside, while Aliens has less votes than Alien on the IMDb, it has more 9/10 or 10/10 ratings.

Sure,  I realize that. The point was just that both are very well acclaimed by both audience and critics. I wasnt trying to make a competition

Don PapI

Don PapI

ALIENS 4 ever¡¡  :laugh:

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 24, 2012, 11:17:04 PM
The only two negative reviews for ALIEN on RT are from short-sighted critics from 1979 whose opinions are laughable today. Annoying. >:(
Some of them are admittedly hilarious though. "Disco inspired art direction." Wh-aaat? :P

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 25, 2012, 12:37:48 AM
Some of them are admittedly hilarious though. "Disco inspired art direction." Wh-aaat? :P
I assume he means the strobe lighting in the last act. Still supremely stupid.

aliennaire

aliennaire

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 24, 2012, 09:29:39 PM
I think it's classified as an action film because people are firing machine guns, grenade launchers, and flamethrowers. Not because Ripley wakes up from a nightmare in her apartment on a space station after she goes to a meeting in a conference room.
Yes, I guess, it's a crusial definition of action movie, but despite of flaunting weapons in Aliens on great scale, they don't use them most of time, and the very first shooting is stupidly redundant (Drake fires at Newt, but Hicks lifts up the smartgun with the barrel of his rifle).

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 25, 2012, 12:51:23 AM
Quote from: Valaquen on Mar 25, 2012, 12:37:48 AM
I assume he means the strobe lighting in the last act. Still supremely stupid.
Sounds like Alien's POV on that scene: F**k you with all those disco lights, I'd better sneak in the lifeboat.   :P

HappyAlien

HappyAlien

How the hell did Alien Resurrection get 33 votes! I can see how some people like Alien 3 but isn't it really a pale shadow of the first film. For me there can really be only 2 films in this series that you can vote for. Even if i pick Aliens i can understand why someone may pick Alien it is a superior film in many regards. But Alien Resurrection c'om on! Really?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed