Alien: Resurrection
41 (3.6%)
Prometheus
8 (0.7%)
Alien: Covenant
7 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 1052

Author
Favourite Alien Movie? (Read 569,021 times)

SiL

SiL

They have the same ending. Ripley risks her life to save the helpless member of the story. After seemingly escaping the Alien threat in a catastrophic explosion, she discovers she's not done and must suit up to blast the Alien into space.

@Cocolyte

Ripley and Jones didn't.

Cocolyte

Cocolyte

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 15, 2022, 08:19:33 PMShe didn't. Aliens also had plenty of people die, heck, entire colony was overtaken by Aliens - lots of men, women and children suffered one of the most painful death possible

Idk. That still doesn't read as a happy ending to me. More just a silver lining ending.

I just think it would be more Alien if Newt was left behind.

SiL

SiL

Alien is not some weirdly misanthropic  story, though. Ripley going back and saving Newt is perfectly in line with the previous movie.

Kradan

Kradan

I'm of the mind the notion that Alien universe is supposed to be bleak and depressing comes mostly from Alien 3

SiL

SiL

Yeah, Alien is a pretty normal horror movie where the evil is vanquished, if at great cost, and the hero is able to escape and go home. It's no Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

You don't turn your back on family.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

How does that work if Coco expressed that feeling upon seeing Aliens and having not yet seen Alien³ though Kradan?

SiL

SiL

By misreading the previous film.

Ripley sends out a report and snuggles up with her kitty to go to sleep. Between the music and the imagery it's really not presented as a downer ending.

Cocolyte

Cocolyte

Quote from: SiL on Aug 15, 2022, 08:24:55 PMAlien is not some weirdly misanthropic  story, though. Ripley going back and saving Newt is perfectly in line with the previous movie.

Misanthropic? No. It's very character-driven. And it's all about hope. But it's hope in the face of sacrifice. And moreover, hope in the face of certain destruction. We need to do what's right even knowing that we'll fail. Why? Because it's right. It's nihilism. But an optimistic nihilism. And that's why they should die.

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 15, 2022, 08:27:57 PMI believe that the notion that Alien universe is supposed to be bleak and depressing comes mostly from Alien 3

⤵⤵⤵⤵⤵
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 15, 2022, 08:30:20 PMHow does that work if Coco expressed that feeling upon seeing Aliens and having not yet seen Alien³ though Kradan?

Quote from: Crazy Rich on Aug 15, 2022, 08:30:05 PMYou don't turn your back on family.

Alternate Universe Alien where everyone is friends <3:

Quote from: Cocolyte on Aug 15, 2022, 08:35:25 PM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 15, 2022, 08:24:55 PMAlien is not some weirdly misanthropic  story, though. Ripley going back and saving Newt is perfectly in line with the previous movie.

Misanthropic? No. It's very character-driven. And it's all about hope. But it's hope in the face of sacrifice. And moreover, hope in the face of certain destruction. We need to do what's right even knowing that we'll fail. Why? Because it's right. It's nihilism. But an optimistic nihilism. And that's why they should die.

Okay, admittedly, THIS might be the Alien3 talking a little bit lmfao

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Aug 15, 2022, 08:30:20 PMHow does that work if Coco expressed that feeling upon seeing Aliens and having not yet seen Alien³ though Kradan?

As understand she started watching Alien movies 'cause she's friends with you. I can't imagine you let her go in completly blind, did you ?

Cocolyte

Cocolyte

Quote from: Kradan on Aug 15, 2022, 08:37:25 PM

As understand she started watching Alien movies 'cause she's friends with you. I can't imagine you let her go in completly blind, did you ?

TO BE FAIR, I saw Alien 1 before I met @BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Depends upon your perspective, everyone dies except Ripley and the cat after all that and I find the romantic theme to be more relief than happiness. I find Aliens and Alien³'s endings quite hopeful in different ways though, nihilism just means you make your own meaning rather than having it attributed for you by someone else, I don't think it gets more clear cut than it all being worth it because metaphorically speaking we get to see the sun rise again because of Ripley. And all the people who were written off as worthless and basically left to slave labour are the reason why.

judge death

judge death

Well we can sit here and say: they are dumb and make mistakes, why not follow protocol, why did brett go alone etc but I think we are forgetting here: We are dealing with humans, we arent logical and rational all the time, Ripley went back for newt due to her promise and feelings to newt, not logic. Military operations never go to plan and have a lot of fubar, often soldiers will be lost alone or sent away alone, shit happens.

Afterall, if all humans followed logic and was smart, we wouldnt have had the covid virus or any plauge or disasters.
*Oh, i suspect Im sick while im in china, shall I visit a hospital and quaranty myself? Nah I will take my plan home as planned.* Covid happens. Hell not many followed the rules for covid. :P
People will ignore rules, quaranty etc, heck even doctors can do such mistakes. *thinking on one who got home from vacation from china to sweden with covid and ignored all warnings....*

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Cocolyte on Aug 15, 2022, 08:35:25 PMMisanthropic? No. It's very character-driven. And it's all about hope. But it's hope in the face of sacrifice. And moreover, hope in the face of certain destruction. We need to do what's right even knowing that we'll fail. Why? Because it's right. It's nihilism. But an optimistic nihilism. And that's why they should die.
That's the opposite of nihilism. Alien 3, and the franchise as a whole, rejects nihilism - even in the face of an indifferent, uncaring universe, there is reason for moral behaviour.

Everything you wrote here is precisely why Ripley goes back for Newt!

Cocolyte

Cocolyte

Quote from: SiL on Aug 15, 2022, 08:41:31 PM
Quote from: Cocolyte on Aug 15, 2022, 08:35:25 PMMisanthropic? No. It's very character-driven. And it's all about hope. But it's hope in the face of sacrifice. And moreover, hope in the face of certain destruction. We need to do what's right even knowing that we'll fail. Why? Because it's right. It's nihilism. But an optimistic nihilism. And that's why they should die.
That's the opposite of nihilism. Alien 3, and the franchise as a whole, rejects nihilism - even in the face of an indifferent, uncaring universe, there is reason for moral behaviour.

Nihilism is that we make our OWN reason for our behavior. And that's what we see in Alien. People do what's right because they need to be better. Even in the face of death. Not because there is some grand order, but because it's the meaning they've created for themselves.

Quote from: SiL on Aug 15, 2022, 08:41:31 PMEverything you wrote here is precisely why Ripley goes back for Newt!

It would be if Ripley planned on dying in the hive, but based on her quotes, doing what's right would mean leaving Newt behind even though it's hard.

Quote from: judge death on Aug 15, 2022, 08:39:56 PMWell we can sit here and say: they are dumb and make mistakes, why not follow protocol, why did brett go alone etc but I think we are forgetting here: We are dealing with humans, we arent logical and rational all the time, Ripley went back for newt due to her promise and feelings to newt, not logic. Military operations never go to plan and have a lot of fubar, often soldiers will be lost alone or sent away alone, shit happens.

Afterall, if all humans followed logic and was smart, we wouldnt have had the covid virus or any plauge or disasters.
*Oh, i suspect Im sick while im in china, shall I visit a hospital and quaranty myself? Nah I will take my plan home as planned.* Covid happens. Hell not many followed the rules for covid. :P
People will ignore rules, quaranty etc, heck even doctors can do such mistakes. *thinking on one who got home from vacation from china to sweden with covid and ignored all warnings....*

Right, yeah, also this. They are human and they make human choices. It just seems like, in the end, Ripley would have resisted that human choice.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed