John Carpenter's The Thing vs. Alien or Predator

Started by Predator Collector, Aug 01, 2009, 07:36:00 AM

Author
John Carpenter's The Thing vs. Alien or Predator (Read 38,816 times)

Meathead320

Quote from: Predator Collector on Aug 05, 2009, 04:04:41 AM
Quote from: Meathead320 on Aug 04, 2009, 11:52:16 PM
The Thing: 13.7 million in the USA

Alien: 80.9 million in the USA.

Predator: 59.7 million USA

Just going with USA grosses, as it was the only data given on the Thing at http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/
::)

I didn't start this thread to discuss the financial aspects of the movies. As far as your other comments go, I have to agree with Xenomrph. :)

Too much seriousness in the thread, I figured I would try to lighten things up, and make a joke. I realize the thing is a supervirus that just takes things over, but I wanted to add some humor  ;D

GrimyGhost

a silly question to ask on an avp forum dont you think??? its bound to be aliens... ???

TJ Doc

They're all aliens.  ;)

But The Thing is the most unstoppable of them.

Xenomrph

Quote from: Meathead320 on Aug 05, 2009, 06:04:06 PM
Too much seriousness in the thread, I figured I would try to lighten things up, and make a joke. I realize the thing is a supervirus that just takes things over, but I wanted to add some humor  ;D
Comedy? On the internet? That's crazy talk!  >:(

Meathead320

I could also argue that just making a tougher more unstopable monster does not make it more cool.

Its like comparing Goku to Superman. Yeah, Goku is stronger, I could make a fictional character stronger than either, does that make it more interesting? Will it have a comic book last for 71 years just because he is tougher?

While TFAW is a tough creature, it ranks lower on my cool factor than the Predator or Alien.

Besides Chuck Norris would own TFAW.

/thread

chupacabras acheronsis

one thing: TFAW mimmicks his victims it doesn't duplicate them. even if it can atempt to absorb an alien, the acid would burn it. it can't defend itself from the acid, it just acts too fast to be incorporated.

"now; this is no dog, its an imitation."

[whats is TFAW by the way?]

Xenomrph

The Thing From Another World. It's the name of the original 1950s movie that 'The Thing' is a remake of (which is in turn based on a 1930s novella "Who Goes There?"). It also happens to be the name that was used for the comic series that were based on 'The Thing' movie.

However, it's a perfect imitation, at the cellular level. By copying the Alien's exoskeleton, which is immune to the acid, it would become immune to the acid itself and then be able to copy the acid at its leisure.

Alexa Chung

Alexa Chung

fag

Meathead320

Quote from: Alexa Chung on Aug 06, 2009, 01:50:49 AM
Off-topic, but I like playing with the relationship...

Off topic but is that you in your avatar, if so, you're hot.  :-*

SM

Geez, can't take you anywhere....

;D

Predator Collector

Predator Collector

Quote from: Meathead320 on Aug 06, 2009, 12:05:26 AM
While TFAW is a tough creature, it ranks lower on my cool factor than the Predator or Alien.

I honestly don't expect Alien fans or Predator fans to think that The Thing is more cool, especially on an AvP forum. However, I think that this thread I started is not only fun to read at times, but very interesting. :)

Personally, I think that Alien, Predator, and The Thing are ALL a unique alien species. I myself like Predator and The Thing simply because Predator is the ultimate alien hunter, but The Thing is the ultimate in alien terror. :o

You are quite right Xenomrph. The Thing can do a perfect imitation, at the cellular level.  

ScrapIron_Pred

ScrapIron_Pred

Quote from: Meathead320 on Aug 06, 2009, 12:05:26 AM
I could also argue that just making a tougher more unstopable monster does not make it more cool.

Its like comparing Goku to Superman. Yeah, Goku is stronger, I could make a fictional character stronger than either, does that make it more interesting? Will it have a comic book last for 71 years just because he is tougher?

Besides Chuck Norris would own TFAW.

http://runamukvisuals.com/site/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/fark_chuck_norris_dog.jpg

/thread

Yeah...with all the Chuck Norris hype going around...maybe he would beat The Thing....then again...maybe the The Thing would beat him instead....Naw, Chuck is too strong to let that happen, isn't he?

You know, I think I smell a new thread in this...Chuck Norris vs AVP! 8)

In any case...I can see where laughter is the best medicine when the terrifying "Thing" is on the loose...then again...what is that behind you? :)

Seriously though...I'm not saying that The Thing is cooler...or that it should have a long lived comic series... I'm just saying that the Thing should be approached with caution...even for an Alien's sake...

After all, we don't need any imitations of you running around...do we? ;D

Alexa Chung

Quote from: Meathead320 on Aug 06, 2009, 03:16:39 AM
Quote from: Alexa Chung on Aug 06, 2009, 01:50:49 AM
Off-topic, but I like playing with the relationship...

Off topic but is that you in your avatar, if so, you're hot.  :-*

Of course it is. A/S/L?

TJ Doc

:D Zing!

Sabres21768

Quote from: ShadowPred on Aug 05, 2009, 04:43:03 PM

No...the real difference is I'm absolutely right and he's incredibly wrong...and you don't know what you're talking about.

Uh.....no.

Uh...yeah.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed