The Ending [Spoilers, don't open if not played]

Started by Xenoscream, Oct 10, 2014, 08:39:11 PM

Author
The Ending [Spoilers, don't open if not played] (Read 18,080 times)

windebieste

Why would Burke lie to Ellen Ripley about her daughter when:

1).  It's obvious she has no love or trust for WY.
2).  It's too easy for Ripley to verify the truth of her daughter via public births/deaths records.
3).  Why would Ripley not verify what he says, anyway?  Amanda is clearly the most precious thing that remains to her.  Of course she would attempt to seek her out and learn the truth.

You can come up with as many counter arguments as you like, but the obvious and most believable answer is simple. 

Burke didn't lie to Ellen about Amanda.

-Windebieste.

Kimarhi

I don't really give a shit one way or the other. 

But if WY had enough money to throw around that a lower level executive could attach himself to a military unit, faking records wouldn't be that hard.

Shit happens all the time at all levels of the government. 

They were leaving ghost soldiers on the roster of national guard units at the start of the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan so they could finally get full funding and update all their gear. (because funding in the NG is about manning levels)

NVM the fact of various individuals faking life/death for finanacial aide. 

A multi planetary corporation with media department could come up with whatever they wanted to and hope the lack of attachment to anyone on earth would spur Ripley into action without her doing her own planetside investigation. 

But like I said.  It doesn't matter either way because it doesn't effect the outcomes of the movies in anyway. 

Greg Or

Well , I really like ending. Kind of mysterious and it leaves all the doors opened for sequel. 

I guess Ripley is alive and there is WY (?) ship to pick her up.

If we get sequel , good , if not , we can still presume she didn't survive and there was no other ship coming to pick her.

Well done.

windebieste

windebieste

One of the big problems with the ending is it is the final experience you will have of the game.

In some ways, it will define how the game is remembered as an overall experience despite how good the journey is.  While some people are happy with it, at least an equal number have also responded with 'Meh' or similar less than impressive comments.  In other words, when so much of your target audience respond less than favourably, then you've got problems.

Another issue with having an ending of this nature is the game is all about overcoming adversity of an extreme nature.  The final Objective here being, the Player escapes from the situation and has completely fulfilled the goals set before them.  As it stands, the ending we are presented with allows for neither of these to be rewarding.  There is no reward in having your character blown out the air lock and left hanging in space for a cliff hanger after the harrowing experiences offered in this game.  It's a bad way to close off a narrative that is otherwise constantly placing the Player on the edge of their seat.

Which means this isn't an ending - it's a cop out.  There is a difference.

It's a self serving conclusion that solely latches onto the game's title to emphasise the nature of Amanda's 'isolation'.  Beyond that, it serves no constructive narrative purpose other than leave open questions - and way too many of them - and none of them really worth investigating beyond Amanda's successful search to find out what happened to her mother.  She has achieved her closure, sure, but the story exists beyond that revelation.  Where is ours as a player that has shared her path when the game finally ends?  There is none.

The game should have ended by having Amanda walk through the door to the Torrens bridge and be greeted by Verlaine in a brief cutscene.  It could even just be audio dialog delivered from behind a closing door that separates us from the scene. This is the point we want to be removed from the character in a constructive way.  Amanda could approach Verlaine in an exhausted and drained state, panting out "I did it, Verlaine.  I did it..." Verlaine could respond in kind with "I know, Amanda.  I understand what you had to do.  I think it's time you took a break and sat down for a while.  I'll look after things from here." Verlaine could then turn to face her co-pilot and says "Conner, plot a course for Earth.  I think it's time we checked out that new orbital Gateway station that just opened recently."  This could even be dialogue while we view an exterior shot of the Torrens moving away from the camera, thus conveying to the player several things:

Firstly, the game is over.  We are done; and so is our relationshiip with Amada and our involvement in her journey is also brought to a comprehensive.

Secondly, from a narrative standpoint, by having the ship move away from the camera we are now comfortably being removed from the events of the game.  Which we really need.  The pull back of the camera is a common method cinema uses to end stories.  It's very effective at telling the player/audience that the events depicted in the production are now over.  Your involvement in the story does not go beyond this point.  The viewer is gently eased out of the harrowing experience that is now over they are rewarded with a meaningful cutscene that is going to define how they remember the game. Then fade to black and roll credits.

That's how you do an ending for a game like this - without clumsy and abrasive ambiguity that serves no greater purpose than servicing a lame pun.

If you really want to lead into a shock ending from this point, Hell, that's a no brainer.  As the ship pulls away from the camera, just have a single Alien attached to the aft area of the ship, curled up at the base of the engine cowlings.  A shock ending can be as subtle as that and still carry a lot of potential for implication that can be explored or ignored in a later sequel.   ...if there is one.

-Windebieste.

Sagit

Just finished the game.
My thoughts are as follows:
1. Cliff-hanger: obviously sequel will see the light of the day in a year or two.
2. Aliens in the vacuum: didn't like the idea. Especially because I've seen them on the ramp even before I started the "unlocking sequence" (should be self-destruct by the look of the device) and they waited patiently until I'm done before performing their trio.
3. How the hell did she end up on the door? No idea.
4. One on one inside the Torrens: i think she only ejected herself prefering it over being head bitten.
5. Further story (perhaps sequel): Amanda is impregnated. WY ship rescued her. Since her fate is very much like her mothers I belive she might have surgery onboard this vessel. Chestburster is removed from her body. She is left alive and again all hell breaks loose (as it always does ;)).

I just realized I actually like the ending. Definetly more than eggs without a single sign of eggmorphing or queen. But yeah I still love this game (definetly my game of the year).

szkoki

Quote from: windebieste on Oct 25, 2014, 10:31:10 PM
Why would Burke lie to Ellen Ripley about her daughter when:

1).  It's obvious she has no love or trust for WY.
2).  It's too easy for Ripley to verify the truth of her daughter via public births/deaths records.
3).  Why would Ripley not verify what he says, anyway?  Amanda is clearly the most precious thing that remains to her.  Of course she would attempt to seek her out and learn the truth.

You can come up with as many counter arguments as you like, but the obvious and most believable answer is simple. 

Burke didn't lie to Ellen about Amanda.

-Windebieste.

lol? why would? because everyone onboard the station that is destroyed was killed by an alien organism they wanted so bad?

windebieste

Nice try.  William of Ockham, however, would like to have a word with you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

-Windebieste.

Kimarhi

She wasn't infected because the facehuggers wouldn't continually try to facerape you throughout the rest of the game. 

slaysaliens

nor would the alien try to kill you.......

So I just finished the game, the part I'm confused about is the whole point of the game was for Amanda to hear Ripley's/The Nostromo's flight recorder-so why was there never a scene where Amanda hears Ellen's message?  I know she heard the personal message, but why didn't they have a cut scene where Amanda hears the one we hear Ellen record at the end of the movie?

I mean the ending is what it is without rehashing anything that's already been done before, so credit to CA for that....I guess I can dig the whole she's breathing & the incoming light reflection...

Kimarhi

the personal message pretty much rehashed what was said at the end of Alien. 

Tomar

Tomar

Quote from: esz on Oct 24, 2014, 05:46:56 AM

Besides, how could she die if she's alive in Aliens? (well, you know what I mean)

Well as i have said once i think that this is pretty much the point of her seeing her floating in space after she got blown out with the Alien from the Torrens.

It would be logical that she gets picked up by someone (if its the Torrens than they need to make up the point at which Amanda tried to contact Verlaine but not getting any answers just to see that on the way to the bridge she encountered an Alien ;) ), the question for me is just how long it would take because you always take and need oxygen (especially in a space suit in the open vacuum of space) even when you are not moving much.

So the events between her being blown out of the ship and floating to see lights on her suit need to be believable in terms of her suit life-support but credibility is very subjective so i can not wait for an Alien: Isolation 2 if they decide to make one (whether it will be SEGA and CA again which would work when they get their hands on the license for a second round or any other dev studio as long as it follows the formula applied by CA i am all for it ;) ).

In my eyes the cliffhangar leaves more open scenarios then seeing Amanda and Verlaine together talking about the events even if an Alien would make up a way to get on the hull of the Torrens. Cause from this point of view as a developer you have more possibilities to create whatever makes sense to pick Amanda up and we know since Aliens that Amanda lifed a long and fulfilling life after all ;).

This open cliffhangar just adds more not only to the namegiver of the game in the Alien universe (namely the Isolation) but also gives us all more of a reason to look up what in the next few years could come up in that regard cause Amanda got very old after all while her mother was floating in space, and god knows what else Weyland-Yutani or any other mega multiplanet corporation have up their sleeves to feed Amanda with ... in hopes of probably seeing her mother ever again ;) ... .

Xenoscream

Quote from: windebieste on Oct 27, 2014, 12:01:10 AM
One of the big problems with the ending is it is the final experience you will have of the game.  In some ways, it will define how it is remembered as such an experience despite how good the journey is.  While some people are happy with it, at least an equal number have also responded with 'Meh' or similar.  In other words, when so much of your target audience respond less than favourably, then it's got problems. 

Another issue with having an ending of this nature is the game is all about overcoming adversity of an extreme nature.  The final Objective here being, the Player escapes from the situation and has completely fulfilled the goals set before them.  This ending does allows for neither of those to be rewarding.  There is no reward in having your character blown out the air lock and left hanging in space for a cliff hanger after the harrowing experiences offered in this game.  It's a bad way to close off a narrative that is otherwise constantly placing the Player on the edge of their seat.

Which means this isn't an ending - it's a cop out.  There is a difference.

It's a self serving conclusion that solely latches onto the game's title to emphasise the nature of Amanda's 'isolation'.  Beyond that, it serves no constructive narrative purpose other than leave open questions - and way too many of them - and none of them really worth investigating beyond amanda's successful search to find out what happened to her mother.

The game should have ended by having amanda walk through the door to the Torrens bridge and be greeted by Verlaine in a brief cutscene.  It could even just be dialog from behind a closed door.  Amanda could approach her in an exhausted and drained state, panting out "I did it, Verlaine.  I did it..." Verlaine could respond in kind with "I know, Amanda.  I understand what you had to do.  I think it's time you took a break and sat down for a while.  I'll look after things from here." She then turns to face her co-pilot and says "Conner, plot a course for Earth.  I think it's time we checked out that new orbital Gateway station that just opened recently."  This could even be dialogue while we view an exterior shot of the Torrens moving away from the camera, thus conveying to the player several things:

Firstly, the game is over.  We are done.

Secondly, from a narrative standpoint, by having the ship move away from the camera we are now comfortably being removed from the events of the game.  Which we really need.  The pull back of the camera is a common method cinema uses to end stories; and games use it too.  It's very effective at telling the player/audience that the events depicted in the production are now over.  Your involvment in the story does not go beyong this point.  The viewer is gently eased out of the harrowing experience and rewarded with a cutscene that is going to define how they remember the game. Then fade to black and roll credits.  That's how you do an ending for a game like this - without clumsy and abrassive ambiguity that serves no greater purpose than servicing a lame pun. 

If you really want to lead into a shock ending from this point, Hell, that's a no brainer, either.

As the ship pulls away from the camera, just have a single Alien attached to the aft area of the ship, curled up at the base of the engine cowlings.  Shock can be as subtle as that and still carry a lot of potential for implication that can be explained or ignored in a sequel.

-Windebieste.

Eloquently put, this is how I felt/feel.

Glaive

Dumb question, maybe...but why didn't Amaanda take an ambulance shuttle to the Torrens?

...or did I miss something?

gabgrave

The story states that all ambulances were damaged or destroyed after the Ando exploded (too bad we didn't get to see anything). So technically, no.

However, I recall seeing the hatch to one at the android repair facility, near where the woman is sitting looking into space... Never did find out what happened to it.

Keg

I finished this yesterday (loved every bit of it) and while I didn't have a problem so much as what the ending actually entailed, I found the execution piss poor considering everything else in the game upto that point was handled brilliantly.

It was a bit disapointing to see they'd basically done the same ending as both Alien and Aliens blasting it out of the airlock but I can live with that. It was the way it was done which left me going......"really? thats it?".

The way it cut to black with the alien right in my face was exactly the same as how all the death animations end so at first I thought I'd messed up and wasn't quick enough, but nope it just cuts to her floating in space. There had already been a cool first person cutscene earlier in the game which reminded me of Gravity and they could have done that here. Instead of cutting away you could have saw exactly what Amanda could see as she hurtles in all directions out of the airlock with the alien and then it could have cut to a wider shot of them both drifting apart before then going back to that close up and the light on her face.

Sure it would still be a pretty poor ending but at least it's a bit more dramatic and you'd get to the see alien as well.

Its becoming a worrying trend in video games where the ending is absolutely shocking despite the rest of the game being excellent. I'm baffled as to how they could create a game as good as this with all that effort and yet just throw that ending out there half assed. If they really wanted that cliffhanger ending then fine, but the execution of it is shocking. At least if we got the same thing but with an extended version involving the alien then it would be easier to swallow. Hell even another 30 seconds of QTE with the alien biting at your face with its inner jaw as your grappling with it and hurtling out of the airlock and then a short cutscene where you see them drifting apart after she's wrestled free by some means would have been way better.

Shadow Of Mordor is another example of a recent game that's damn good but has a crap ending.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed