Which 'Canon' do you prefer?

Started by Kenner_Alien_Kaste, Nov 20, 2022, 03:00:55 AM

Which 'Canon' do you prefer?

"Pre-Prometheus" (ALIEN, ALIENS,  ALIEN 3, ALIEN RESURRECTION, and applicable supplementary material pre-Prometheus)
14 (23%)
"Expanded Universe" (Toylines, Comics, Novels, Anything set within the 'ALIEN' IP including unmade films)
1 (1.6%)
AVP Canon (AVP, AVP Requiem, and applicable sources/materials)
3 (4.9%)
"New Canon" (ALIEN 1-4, PROMETHEUS, ALIEN COVENANT, Isolation, Alien The Cold Forge, Alien The Roleplaying Game, etc)
16 (26.2%)
"Anything Goes" (Pick and choose/Personal preference)
27 (44.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Author
Which 'Canon' do you prefer? (Read 10,708 times)

Kenner_Alien_Kaste

So while I probably didn't get all of the various timelines/'canons' or otherwise had organized them properly, but after having spent so much time trolling the internet and other forums and seeing just the sheer volume of content for Alien and its various 'licenses' so to speak, I was curious as to what canon you guys like the most, whether for personal projects or writing or just out of preference!

SiL

SiL

Original films plus the two prequels.

PAS Spinelli

Colonial Marines isn't canon according to people that worked on the Alien RPG, so you can't really include both of these in the same continuity

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Nov 20, 2022, 04:54:19 AMOriginal films plus the two prequels.

I would throw Isolation in for good measure

PAS Spinelli

My personal take on canon would be:
 Alien, Aliens as real events
 Alien 3 as half true, no one really knowing what came to happen of Ripley
 Isolation as canon
 Aliens Fireteam Elite being essentially a in-universe legend simulator, as WeyYu caused more small Xeno outbreaks stories and myths began spreading across colonies, and AFTE essentially being a bunch of those(basically soft canon)
 Prometheus and Covenant with heavy readjusts, like reincorporating the fact David is only copying a preexisting "blueprint" or sorts of the Xenomorph egg, and that the Engineers aren't the creators of the aliens, blackgoo, and aren't the space jockeys either.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Nov 20, 2022, 06:28:49 AMColonial Marines isn't canon according to people that worked on the Alien RPG, so you can't really include both of these in the same continuity
Yeah, none of the above options work because of this.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Kradan on Nov 20, 2022, 06:50:36 AM
Quote from: SiL on Nov 20, 2022, 04:54:19 AMOriginal films plus the two prequels.

I would burn anything that shoehorns itself between stories with relatives of memorable characters in a f**king fire.

Great game. Shit story.

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: SiL on Nov 20, 2022, 09:59:13 AM

I would burn anything that shoehorns itself between stories with relatives of memorable characters in a f**king fire.

Great game. Shit story.
But Amanda isn't a new character? She was introduced in Aliens

SiL

SiL

Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Nov 20, 2022, 10:00:53 AM
Quote from: SiL on Nov 20, 2022, 09:59:13 AM

Great game. Shit story.
But Amanda isn't a new character? She was introduced in Aliens
When did I say anything about new characters?

Her adventures are shoehorned in between two films that clearly do not support the events happening and they used her as a connection to Ripley. Whether she's established or pulled out of thin air for the game is entirely irrelevant.

BlueMarsalis79

I like the story, throw stones at me, the Amanda Ripley thing feels earned at the end of the day.

Nightmare Asylum

The six Alien movies.

There's other stuff I really like (Isolation, the Alex White novels, the RPG, select Dark Horse comics), but I consider them all to be more ancillary works.

Stitch

Stitch

Whatever is applicable for the film I'm watching

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Stitch on Nov 20, 2022, 01:02:55 PMWhatever is applicable for the film I'm watching

Also, this.

SuperiorIronman

I never really know what is canon anymore and what RPG books I'd have to read so I'm just rolling with it.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

AVP Canon... At least, Pre-Disney Canon anyway. For me it goes like this--

Predator, Predator 2, AVP, AvP-R, Alien, Aliens, Alien 3, Alien vs Predator (Rebellion 1999), Alien vs Predator 2 (Monolith), Alien vs Predator 3 (Rebellion 2010), and Alien Resurrection.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed