Reproduction Method Official

Started by SuicideDoors, Oct 26, 2007, 08:01:45 AM

Do you like the new addition to the lifecycle?

Love it!
80 (21.6%)
Pretty Cool
135 (36.5%)
I expected more
31 (8.4%)
Hate it
40 (10.8%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R
30 (8.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.
54 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author
Reproduction Method Official (Read 199,699 times)

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2007, 12:56:11 AM
But I can't be optomistic when I think the directors are idiots (no offense) :(

Well I spose if you think you shat on you through thier various actions, then thiers no changing your mind.

Me however, I liked the Alien FILMS, the creature was a bonus. So having the Predator creature that I love wade through hordes of assailants both human and Alien is heaven.  :P

On a serious note, I hope one day someone makes a film which is basically Anytime versus Kane's Son with characters reminiscent of Alien 3's thrown in the mix. One on One AVP is what I dream about. But it will never happen.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2007, 01:01:32 AM
That could rule.

What was his Predator 3 script like, I've never seen it.

echobbase79

echobbase79

His Predator 3 script has never been released. I loved to get a copy though.

Major Alan Schaefer

a one on one could happen...it is unlikey...but possible

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 27, 2007, 09:37:25 PM
Why then in Aliens did she summon her guards?  Why not just take out Ripley herself?

Why should she? Ripley was obviously going to set one of the eggs off - just as she did. The Queen was simply thinking Ripley was going to act like any other animal.

Wild animals would not have guns. Any natural organism would have set off the eggs. As we saw with Miller, if one facehugger is destroyed, a signal is sent out to induce a swarm.

Wasps do something similar. Facehuggers dying either produce a pheremone, telepathic signal or something else. The fact is, no natural intruder would stand a chance in the hive.

Technology is what gave Ripley an edge and that's not something evolution tends to takes into consideration.

QuoteAlien was meant to work on it's own without the idea of queens.  If the alien wanted to produce a queen - why was it morphing Dallas as well?  Shouldn't Dallas have been used as a host for the queen-hugger?

No, Ripley probably was. That's assuming, of course, that the creature did not simply think more humans would eventually come along.

There are reasons for why two cocoons were made. For instance, Brett was dead. Perhaps the Alien had a need to breed, but realised doing so to the corpse was basically producing the equivelant of a 'still-birth', so to speak. Or perhaps it simply felt that two would produce better genetic variation.

Heck, perhaps it was following the above rule: If the facehugger was able to be stopped at the last moment, then a second would be needed to overpower the opponent. That's biological common sense.

Quote from: Aeus on Oct 27, 2007, 09:40:20 PM
The only reason I can see for the whole regurgitation thing is that the Aliens need new Aliens fast, and noone can lay eggs, and egg morphing takes too long, so they do the regurgitation thing the impregnate people fast without the need for eggs. More dangerous yes, because they could get killed in the whole raping process but more efficient than egg morphing.

Then why didn't the Nostromo Alien do that? If it had the ability, it might as well have used it. Sure, we could say Lambert's fate was precisely that, but why not Dallas?

In other words, what was stopping it?

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 27, 2007, 09:44:09 PM
Seriously, though, how did Aliens happen?  We only saw one guy get facehugged - so only one drone.  The queen takes at least a few days to grow and start laying eggs (as mentioned in A:R).  All this time - if the drone goes around abducting people - turning them into eggs - it is wasting potential hosts for more aliens (1:1 ratio - egg morph to host).  It does not explain how Hadley's was overrun so quickly.  So yeah, it could just hang around and protect the queen - but it would be hunted by the colonists the whole time.  The colonists had weapons they could've taken down a single alien.

You're assuming that the first cocoon would not have been specifically to get a Queen; in which case, there would only have been a single egg metamorphasis required. Or that Newt's own father did not get a natural Queen.

It only takes one.

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Oct 27, 2007, 09:52:55 PM
ingnore, he knew its there and was smart enough to ask

"What would aliens do if they didn't have time to eggmorph and had no other way to make a Queen." at least he is thinking...

The problem is that they should have then asked themselves, "OK, Method X works fine - what was preventing the Nostromo Alien from doing it?"

It isn't as if the Predalien is running around with a stopwatch and schedule in hand. It can afford to wait. The town, sewers and woods are massive and have plenty of places to hide. If anything, the town affords it a luxury of surplus time, not less of it.

Quote from: megachu17 on Oct 27, 2007, 09:56:10 PM
so if u lik the idea they're adding, if u dont, there making junk up right?

No, because I happen to like the new concept. It just frustrates me, because there's no way for it to co-exist with pre-existing stuff - which we were all assured would be preserved.

It's basically something they come up with for a cool effect. They just didn't appear to think through the consequences of it.

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 27, 2007, 10:07:44 PM
Yeah but like I explained, it can't keep doing it.  To create 12 aliens, you need 24 colonists.  And in the beginning there is only one alien.

Also, the drone born from Jordan has low probability to be a queen (if natural queens are made that way - by random egg).

No, you either have a Queen hatching from the rescue party or a single egg transformation which is done specifically to obtain them a Queen.

This method would be great if egging was to get Queens and this was meant to get regulars, but the thing's transforming into a Queen, which makes that impossible.

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Oct 27, 2007, 10:10:57 PM
Really i think the new method would be way more efficant for Hadley hope invasion and anyone of those people who bealive the scanners had over 100 (u know who you are) u can't say it was egg morphing

We can if only one was required or the rescue party brought a Queen with them.

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Oct 27, 2007, 10:30:13 PM
it'd be almost impossible to set up a hive, get hosts, and build up a hive safely...let me say a FEW reasons

Mr Wolf...The National Guard, Random people, slow egg laying time, slow facehugger getting a host time, slow facehugger on host time, slow gesation period, slow growth of chestburster, slow...do i need to go on?

Unless we're dealing with accelerated gestation time from the oral method, the alleged slowness factor still comes into play, regardless.

As others have pointed out, egg transformation is not slow. How in the world are all these people going to know where to look? The only reason the Predator seems to is because the Predalien is going out on this breeding frenzy rampage and drawing attention to itself.

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Oct 27, 2007, 10:33:31 PM
yea...making a five hour movie with a large budget...or making a thirty minute fan film where the aliens come in and get slaughted because they can't reproduce

That's what egging is for. That's what obtaining Queens through egging is for.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2007, 12:00:11 AM
Cocoon people. Barf up burster. No need for annoying gestation period.

And I really don't get what Xenomorphine means by the image of Chet barfing being iconic. It's way too late in the game for a monster vomiting on someone to be iconic.

Unless it's an icon of all that ever went wrong with the franchise.

As a horror visual, I think the image of the Predalien forcing someone to open their mouth, then forcing its own inner down their throat, holding them down, extending right down into their chest cavity, is going to be very much in line with the sort of atmosphere 'Alien' was famous for. It's exactly the sort of stomach-churning reproduction method expected of a Giger-influenced project.

If it's done right, it could look and feel very horrific. Remember Ripley and the facehugger, in 'Aliens'? It'll be like if that thing managed to succeed and we saw it doing its thing with the legs and pouches held away.

However, as we agree on, making people into eggs is more of an agonising fate and makes the creature less like anything we know. While the visual, I'm sure, could be astounding, it goes against the egging method and runs counter to natural Queens.

I've tried twisting and turning it my head, every which way. The closest I've come up with to make this work is that egging might function early on in their life, with oral coming into things later. But adding the Queen dimension into things... That's what f**ks everything up.

Would moulting have worked, post-'Aliens'? Yeah. But this is 2007, not 1992. We've had precedents for how Queens function and this isn't it.

As groovy and horrific and efficient as the new method is, we're past the stage where this makes any logical sense. The only way for it to do so, would be to ignore the last two 'Alien' sequels and that's not going to happen.

The only way this can be salvaged is if we don't see 100% proof of the Predalien turning into a definite Queen. If we don't have that, then there's room to maybe get this straightened out.

If it transforms, I'll still watch the film, but I'll do so with a heavy heart, because this could have been so much better.

Aliens are not Tyranids. This makes them that.

Also, one last point... If 'Empire' magazine is correct and not making stuff up, this is taking place in 2007. If this is the same Predalien as last time, what was preventing it from transforming into a Queen, all of this time?

Major Alan Schaefer

Queen should not be over used...i don't want Queens to be boreing...if there was one in this one it would be "hey look a Queen...who cares."

Aeus

Aeus

QuoteAliens are not Tyranids. This makes them that.

A what?

SiL

SiL

Alien species in a board game.

And once more Xenomorphine sums everything up perfectly. Except the 'iconic' bit.

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2007, 01:20:46 AM
Alien species in a board game.

Okey doke.

And once more Xenomorphine sums everything up perfectly. Except the 'iconic' bit.

I thought he hit the nail on the head to be honest. As long as the shot captures just its head sans dreadlocks, I think it'll be great.

SiL

SiL

You've still got the oversized slapped-on-at-the-last-second mandibles.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: Aeus on Oct 28, 2007, 01:15:44 AM
A what?

Tyranids are the Alien creature rip-off from 'Warhammer'. They're actually quite a cool concept. They come in massive hive ships, seed entire worlds with biological spores, watch all these grotesque monstrosities arise and then let them literally eat and consume everything. The entire world is eaten up and converted into 'biomass'. All the creatures are then genetically programmed to head towards these vast 'digestion pools', where they basically get consumed, in turn. Everything basically becomes this massive, organic soup, which the hive ships take in and scan all the gathered genetic material for improvements.

Genestealers are these four-armed things which look very much like an Alien. They reproduce by forcing embryos down victim's throats...

The latter is why I think the directors have been influenced by it and are basically turning the Alien into a Genestealer.

Major Alan Schaefer

This is still an open field and because that's the way they did it in the other two doesn't mean that is the only way...Aliens are adaptable

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 28, 2007, 01:29:04 AM
Quote from: Aeus on Oct 28, 2007, 01:15:44 AM
A what?

Tyranids are the Alien creature rip-off from 'Warhammer'. They're actually quite a cool concept. They come in massive hive ships, seed entire worlds with biological spores, watch all these grotesque monstrosities arise and then let them literally eat and consume everything. The entire world is eaten up and converted into 'biomass'. All the creatures are then genetically programmed to head towards these vast 'digestion pools', where they basically get consumed, in turn. Everyhting basically becomes this massive, organic soup, which the hive ships take in and scan all the gathered genetic material for improvements.

Genestealers are these four-armed things which look very much like an Alien. They reproduce by forcing embryos down victim's throats...

The latter is why I think the directors have been influenced by it and are basically turning the Alien into a Genestealer.

OhWarhammer. My friend does that, pays like 50 quid for a small peice of metal. Some of the stories are good though, no mention of Aliens in his stuff though, just big minotauresque looking fellas.

But yeah, Minotaurs aside, it does sound like the Strauses got thier idea for Chets new talents from this Genestealer. They may play the game perhaps.

Quote from: SiL on Oct 28, 2007, 01:28:41 AM
You've still got the oversized slapped-on-at-the-last-second mandibles.

There. Is. No. Pleasing. You. >:(

Plokoon111

Plokoon111

^ And thats what I like about the aliens, you can't hide from them, your never safe, they choose any; i'll, old, young.

Huol

Huol

Ahh Tyranids...

Porkus Maximus

Porkus Maximus

QuoteGenestealers are these four-armed things which look very much like an Alien. They reproduce by forcing embryos down victim's throats...

Heh yeah funny how the 'inspiration' comes full circle.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed