If we do not get a sequel to Covenant

Started by Huggs, May 05, 2019, 12:53:27 AM

Author
If we do not get a sequel to Covenant (Read 14,369 times)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 05, 2019, 02:04:43 AM
Flushed along with AvP to the bowels of creative bankruptcy from whence they came.

Good times to be a fan!

Kradan

Kradan

I'll be OK with how it ended. Just imagine: ship full of eggmorphed colonists with madshit android on it traveling somewhere in space, It's f**king ticking time bomb. If somebody find it we're doomed.

For me, prequels are separate story even in spite of their name. I don't want them to be connceted to Alien because i don't see any satisfactive way to do it. I don't like recent crashlanding idea.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kradan on May 07, 2019, 10:06:06 PM
For me, prequels are separate story even in spite of their name. I don't want them to be connceted to Alien because i don't see any satisfactive way to do it. I don't like recent crashlanding idea.

Agreed. I don't see them making it satisfying either. I don't mind the idea of the Covenant, just out there, with thousands of eggmorphed colonists. I strongly dislike the idea of it being related to the Derelict in some fashion. I don't want any bookending.

dave1978

Well given that Ridley has totally wasted the oppourtunity and source material he had to work with and utterly spoiled the mythos of the Space Jockey with giant pale humanoids i would be happy to totally forget the prequels even though i quite like Covenant.

SM

SM

Nobody is stopping you.

skhellter

It would be another mess.

John Logan is talented but he's not above some wonky plotting and hoary dialogue.

No tears shed.

(Get Villeneuve in here).

Gash

Gash

It ends in a satisfactory way with a new ship of eggs heading into deep space. I see no reason to believe those eggs are to be the eggs on Archeron.

More than happy to see a Scott sequel though and see where it goes.

Baron Von Marlon

They could and should drop the tie-in to the original.
It would provide more creative freedom and maybe, just maybe, third time's the charm.

bb-15

bb-15

Loose ends in the Alien franchise don't bother me that much.
There is little connection story wise between "Alien 3" and "Resurrection" beyond it's Ripley's DNA, xenomorphs are still around 200 years later & scientists still want to experiment on them to create super soldiers.
And the end of "Resurrection" was never continued.
The film is very self contained. 

I see the prequels in a similar way. They are a two part self contained story in the Alien universe.
Only they do a decent job in adding to the viewer's knowledge about this universe in terms of the Space Jockeys as well as the Weyland Corporation who both set the stage for the events in "Alien".

;)

Samhain13

Samhain13

I have thought about that since Covenant came out. A reason I have a problem with movies that rely too much on their open ending is the possibilty it never gets done and the story ends up incomplete. And since this is part of favorite series, I don't like that crap.

So far the "Prequels" feel like they are their own thing rather actual prequels like the ones in Star Wars were, they are just set before Alien and on the same universe, like the AVP movies were, trying to tie with the events on ALIEN thus retconing stuff would make things worse.

Still as of now Prometheus and the Covenant novel are in my canon, if David's story never gets concluded I will make some headcanon about what might have happened to him and the colonists. I would keep them on my AVP Timeline because f**k it I already put them there. And depending on what Ridley might do I might prefer nothing at all, or making a sequel to Covenant through a comic/novel with me as a consultant of course.  :P

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 06, 2019, 04:04:30 PM
Flushed along with AvP to the bowels of creative bankruptcy from whence they came.

Good times to be a fan!

The Golden Age of this fandom is long gone.

windebieste

It's "long gone" only if you reject the great diversity this property now consists of.

40 years on, and it's growing, not shrinking. 

-Windebieste.

The Old One

The Old One

Agreed.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: Samhain13 on May 15, 2019, 03:35:04 AM
I have thought about that since Covenant came out. A reason I have a problem with movies that rely too much on their open ending is the possibilty it never gets done and the story ends up incomplete. And since this is part of favorite series, I don't like that crap.

So far the "Prequels" feel like they are their own thing rather actual prequels like the ones in Star Wars were, they are just set before Alien and on the same universe, like the AVP movies were, trying to tie with the events on ALIEN thus retconing stuff would make things worse.

Still as of now Prometheus and the Covenant novel are in my canon, if David's story never gets concluded I will make some headcanon about what might have happened to him and the colonists. I would keep them on my AVP Timeline because f**k it I already put them there. And depending on what Ridley might do I might prefer nothing at all, or making a sequel to Covenant through a comic/novel with me as a consultant of course.  :P

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on May 06, 2019, 04:04:30 PM

Good times to be a fan!

The Golden Age of this fandom is long gone.

The ship gets obliterated by a stray asteroid.

The fandom is fine.  We just got some seriously high quality shorts for the 40th anniversary, and amateur artists are creating some really good work.  My depressingly mediocre fan fiction is still a thing  :)
We've had a recent slew of good novels
Fox has been taken over by an evil corporation that actually knows what its doing
Gibson's script is about to be released as an audio drama
We survived Requiem and The Predator.

We'll be fine

SM

SM

Reckon.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: windebieste on May 15, 2019, 03:47:02 AM
It's "long gone" only if you reject the great diversity this property now consists of.

We can call now the Silver Age.

Quote from: windebieste on May 15, 2019, 03:47:02 AM
40 years on, and it's growing, not shrinking. 

That's what she said.

Quote from: LastSonofKrypton on May 16, 2019, 11:27:52 AM
The ship gets obliterated by a stray asteroid.

Now that's anticlimactic. I suppose it fits David in a way.

The fandom is fine.  We just got some seriously high quality shorts for the 40th anniversary, and amateur artists are creating some really good work.  My depressingly mediocre fan fiction is still a thing  :)

Never said its dying or at its worse ever, just that its peak is gone. I can still enjoy stuff for what they are.

We've had a recent slew of good novels

They were mostly fine. Comics not so much.

Fox has been taken over by an evil corporation that actually knows what its doing

Considering Star Wars I disagree.

We survived Requiem and The Predator.

Funny but the only thing that almost killed AVPGalaxy was AVP 2004. It endured those 2 fine. Still... Requiem damaged the AVP concept even more and The Predator... well we are getting a new game so I guess it wasn't enough to make them give up.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed