Why the PREDATOR sequels get the face WRONG [Opinion Piece]

Started by bendinglight, Feb 21, 2021, 05:43:58 AM

Author
Why the PREDATOR sequels get the face WRONG [Opinion Piece] (Read 32,643 times)

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 26, 2021, 01:45:34 PM
Quote from: PAS Spinelli on Feb 26, 2021, 03:35:16 AM
I personally hate the stick bug we got in that movie

https://media0.giphy.com/media/JrkQ79ZpfZdn5iOwlr/giphy.gif

https://fassymioamorhome.files.wordpress.com/2019/09/04.gif?w=349

https://64.media.tumblr.com/34b1b21e743ae8405af976a825eaf8ee/tumblr_oukleb8wE91t4wjzko5_r1_540.gif

https://64.media.tumblr.com/ac88906faf12a3f8f017d22e4b7bb69f/tumblr_pkiqtrvocF1tdkro1o8_400.gif

https://64.media.tumblr.com/8af32c53a745541c99b05f11badaf4e6/tumblr_pk0w74sGLo1uv4kvuo2_540.gif

https://64.media.tumblr.com/bd13510ae18ac3ba3da22fc571578302/tumblr_pkiqtrvocF1tdkro1o2_r1_400.gif

https://64.media.tumblr.com/98e3e4f4d05b5023a2d1ea1e894af3af/tumblr_pk0w74sGLo1uv4kvuo6_540.gif

https://64.media.tumblr.com/22953827d1d670a8d528f262773e41fc/tumblr_pkiqtrvocF1tdkro1o3_400.gif

https://64.media.tumblr.com/aa4f32fa05846ca0b7f5fd957d6b9dec/tumblr_pk0w74sGLo1uv4kvuo4_540.gif
If only it was the Classic design in a movie that didn't try to explain it's origin..

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Mar 01, 2021, 02:52:41 AM
A lot of Predator superfans are really into the 'Yautja' concept with strict codes of honor and such. More like samurai than big game hunters. I don't think that really jives with the original movies tho.

The Predators in 1&2 don't fight fair. They hide out of sight, invisible to their prey, killing them from afar with advanced weaponry that doesn't even require aiming. In the first movie the Predator only goes hand-to-hand when he isolates a victim and they can't really threaten him. The hunter in P2 is a little more bold but he still favours cloaking for his attacks and still greatly outclasses his victims. They're also sore losers, turning to self-destruct when they think they're about to lose, trying to take their foes down with them rather than take the L.

The honor code idea only really relates to not killing unarmed/pregnant/sick enemies and awarding Harrigan the pistol. This isn't necessarily because it would be un-chivalrous imo though. It's because there's no challenge in the kills. If you're at max level in an rpg, do you go back to the starter zone and kill level 1 rats that can't even chip at your HP bar, let alone maybe get lucky and actually wound/kill you? I don't, because it's boring. No risk at all. Risk is what makes the hunt exciting.

As for the pistol, yeah they show a kind of begrudging respect but it seems kinda like it's specific to that one elder, because no other pred to this point had any qualms about turning their death into a murder-suicide when they thought their foes might actually defeat them. Also worth pointing out they don't exactly give Harrigan a chance to get clear before they launch their ship and very nearly crush/incinerate him.

The Yautja concept makes me roll my eyes tbh. The original Predators were trophy-taking slasher villains who saw us as little better than animals, equipped to pose some threat but not equal or worthy of respect as more than wall decorations.
I kinda blame the AvP extended universe stuff for this, they made the Predators look like honorable space samurai that just happen to be dicks, instead of tribes of space warriors that see less advanced species as game

Corporal Hicks

The Yautja concept makes me roll my eyes tbh. The original Predators were trophy-taking slasher villains who saw us as little better than animals, equipped to pose some threat but not equal or worthy of respect as more than wall decorations.

A man after my own heart. I dislike the Yautja concept too. They're sadistic big game hunters that are after a big thrill and have some small rules to follow  - but outside of Anderson's AvP, I really don't think anything they show in the movie's could be considered honorable.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Feb 26, 2021, 10:27:50 AM
But I'm going to be real with you all, I don't like the Covvie Alien 90% of the time.
Ultimately it gets off on the same "intent" clause as the Rez Aliens, and it moves nicely, but that doesn't make it satisfying in the way I want from an Alien design.

While I still miss the biomechanical detailing from the original design, I do actually quite like Covenant's Alien. There's something about the proportions that I think work really well. And that scene where it walks upright into the terraforming bay is just so damn creepy IMHO.

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 01, 2021, 09:38:00 AM

A man after my own heart. I dislike the Yautja concept too. They're sadistic big game hunters that are after a big thrill and have some small rules to follow  - but outside of Anderson's AvP, I really don't think anything they show in the movie's could be considered honorable.
Me three

let PREDATORS be predators and shoot tobacco-chewing gung-ho elite force boys IN THE BACK with no remorse

BlueMarsalis79

Me also, Predators fight to win, 
and agreed on the Covenant Alien.

BigDaddyJohn

The 1 vs 1 with Dutch, and the sparing of Leona did a lot to fuel theories about their "honor" code. I think posts above explained very well that it's most likey a few rules that most probably follow. But to call that a code, implying that there is way more to it, is maybe a little stretch.

Voodoo Magic

A lot of Predator superfans are really into the 'Yautja' concept with strict codes of honor and such. More like samurai than big game hunters. I don't think that really jives with the original movies tho.

The Predators in 1&2 don't fight fair. They hide out of sight, invisible to their prey, killing them from afar with advanced weaponry that doesn't even require aiming. In the first movie the Predator only goes hand-to-hand when he isolates a victim and they can't really threaten him. The hunter in P2 is a little more bold but he still favours cloaking for his attacks and still greatly outclasses his victims. They're also sore losers, turning to self-destruct when they think they're about to lose, trying to take their foes down with them rather than take the L.

The honor code idea only really relates to not killing unarmed/pregnant/sick enemies and awarding Harrigan the pistol. This isn't necessarily because it would be un-chivalrous imo though. It's because there's no challenge in the kills. If you're at max level in an rpg, do you go back to the starter zone and kill level 1 rats that can't even chip at your HP bar, let alone maybe get lucky and actually wound/kill you? I don't, because it's boring. No risk at all. Risk is what makes the hunt exciting.

As for the pistol, yeah they show a kind of begrudging respect but it seems kinda like it's specific to that one elder, because no other pred to this point had any qualms about turning their death into a murder-suicide when they thought their foes might actually defeat them. Also worth pointing out they don't exactly give Harrigan a chance to get clear before they launch their ship and very nearly crush/incinerate him.

The honor code has always been the intent of the Thomas Brothers and to me it has been 100% depicted. The Thomas Brothers explained Predator 2 is the "bible" for the Predator character.

To the creators, the Predators are a race of sports hunters. They do have a system of honor and code, per them. Like American hunters believe they have honor, when they go to church on Sundays after slaughtering defenseless animals with high powered weapons in camouflage on Saturdays.

You may question hunting deer or bear from trees in camouflage clothing using high powered scoped rifles ... "They don't fight fair! They're outclassing their victims! Where's the honor in that?" I do too. But to an American Hunter, it's not a question. The kill during the day, and kiss their children goodnight, living "honorable" lives. So I feel it is important to get out of your head space, and into theirs.

Comparing it to max level rpg going to a starter zone I think is totally missing the point. And a lot of hunters don't hunt for the "risk". Some do, like the American Hunters that hunt bear with spears versus guns, or boar hunting with knives. But the popular ones... duck hunting, deer hunting, fishing, there isn't any risk. So you're not understanding the hunter correctly if you assess it entirely that way.

And you sort of dismiss the Elder Grayback Predator's actions as him acting alone, but all the Predators turned and walked away. They all left Harrigan, after Harrigan killed one of their own. All of them.

In regards to the detonation, I see that as the Predators do not want their body or especially their tech discovered. The devastating impact of leaving that behind would be so much worse than any unwanted deaths it may cause in its radius.

It's like when humans hunt bears with spears, they bring along a gun just in case. Because after a point, it gets to a point, where all bets are off.

Eighty-Five

Intent is meaningless if it doesn't make it onto film and as I've already argued, I don't believe it does and I don't believe it's a good idea in this case.

You also failed to understand the max level rpg analogy - I'm talking about how the people they spare present no thrill, not their hunts overall. You also keep comparing them to human hunters in the real world as though they're the same. They obviously aren't, and I don't think they should be. Humanising Predators is a weak tactic for unimaginative writers.

As for Greyback, he's positioned as their boss. For me it reads just as easily that the others obey him rather than necessarily agree with him. But I'm not assigning meaning to what they do, I'm simply pointing out that the movies don't present us with what went on to become 'Yautja' at all.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Mar 01, 2021, 03:29:43 PM
Intent is meaningless if it doesn't make it onto film and as I've already argued, I don't believe it does and I don't believe it's a good idea in this case.

To me that intent made it into the film crystal clear, especially with sparing Harrigan, and the child and Leona. Even being young, when seeing it, no interviews etc. were required for me to understand that. But with that said, it certainly doesn't mean everyone isn't free to, likes to, or will interpret it that way. That's fair. :)

QuoteYou also failed to understand the max level rpg analogy - I'm talking about how the people they spare present no thrill, not their hunts overall.

Right, indeed. They like a little thrill. But the odds don't have to be even to be honorable in their head space. In a sports hunter's headspace.

QuoteYou also keep comparing them to human hunters in the real world as though they're the same. They obviously aren't, and I don't think they should be.

Even if I exclude that the Thomas Brothers compared Predators to human sports hunters often... sparing the pregnant and young.... this is human sports hunter behavior too. Their actions are similar. And that's more than fair to say.

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Mar 01, 2021, 03:29:43 PM
Humanising Predators is a weak tactic for unimaginative writers.

Yet, I believe that is exactly what the Predator creators did. Even Stephen Hopkins agrees. So we'll agree to disagree on that.

QuoteAs for Greyback, he's positioned as their boss. For me it reads just as easily that the others obey him rather than necessarily agree with him. But I'm not assigning meaning to what they do, I'm simply pointing out that the movies don't present us with what went on to become 'Yautja' at all.

Yeah, the Elder is presented as the leader, but assuming the rest disagree with the Elder and the Elder's behavior is unorthodox, is not something I would extrapolate.

BigDaddyJohn

Now that I remember, City Hunter spares Leona because she is pregnant, not because she is unarmed or poses no threat/challenge. She is a trained cop with a gun in her hand at the exact moment of their encounter, I wouldn't call that a no challenge at all situation. So it's indeed a relatively human behavior.

Eighty-Five

Hunters in the real world spare the young/pregnant females because it conserves the species. It's not an honour thing, it's about making sure the population doesn't die out due to reckless hunting practices.

If you spared only the weak and old there'd be no prey left in a couple of generations.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Eighty-Five on Mar 01, 2021, 05:18:01 PM
Hunters in the real world spare the young/pregnant females because it conserves the species. It's not an honour thing, it's about making sure the population doesn't die out due to reckless hunting practices.

If you spared only the weak and old there'd be no prey left in a couple of generations.

By what Peter Keyes was saying in regards to how often Predators visit our planet, I don't think Predators will have to fear that killing a pregnant woman armed cop would impact the survival of the human species. ;D

But sparing the armed pregnant female for either reason can be following an honor code. I think you're putting honor into a small box with one set of rules, regardless what culture you're from, religion, planet, etc.  I think the mistake is not looking at it as a standard of conduct.

Local Trouble

Deep down it's really just big ol' cuddly teddy bear.

Mr.Turok

I will always hate the idea of dumbing down Predators to just super serial space killers from space. Any time we got ourselves some out space thing for a film, its always tiring to kill us for the sake of it. I look at Independence day, Invaders from Mars, Starship Troopers, basically the entire sci-fi films from the 40s-60s on aliens can be included as well. I have a plate full of alien invasion movies already, why demote the Predators into just the same stupid vanilla monsters that we already have. I got me Freddy, Jason, Chucky and a whole bunch of others for slasher films. I don't need another serial killer/alien invader from outer space that are straight up villain that we have by the f**king shit tons.

Like any alien intelligent beings out there, they got ideas that are way too much or too different for us to handle which is why its great that they are vicious warrior hunters with an honor code that respects those who manages to defeat one of their own, show them mercy and may or may not give them something for their troubles, even though their entire culture is based around hunting other lifeforms, sapient or not, for their skulls and spines for the thrill of the hunt and the lulz, not to mention one of their own did slaughter a bunch of your comrades but hey they thats blue and orange alien values for ya!

Again, why demote them to something we have seen before so many times in other movies before? You want alien killers that kill for nothing, look at Alien then. Want killers that kill for lulz, go look at Freddy films. I ask, why do this to Predator?

Its like getting mad at spicy peppers for being spicy, can't take the spice, go eat watermelon or something, don't take the spice from peppers it looks dumb. 

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Apr 08, 2021, 12:32:36 AM
I will always hate the idea of dumbing down Predators to just super serial space killers from space. Any time we got ourselves some out space thing for a film, its always tiring to kill us for the sake of it. I look at Independence day, Invaders from Mars, Starship Troopers, basically the entire sci-fi films from the 40s-60s on aliens can be included as well. I have a plate full of alien invasion movies already, why demote the Predators into just the same stupid vanilla monsters that we already have. I got me Freddy, Jason, Chucky and a whole bunch of others for slasher films. I don't need another serial killer/alien invader from outer space that are straight up villain that we have by the f**king shit tons.

Like any alien intelligent beings out there, they got ideas that are way too much or too different for us to handle which is why its great that they are vicious warrior hunters with an honor code that respects those who manages to defeat one of their own, show them mercy and may or may not give them something for their troubles, even though their entire culture is based around hunting other lifeforms, sapient or not, for their skulls and spines for the thrill of the hunt and the lulz, not to mention one of their own did slaughter a bunch of your comrades but hey they thats blue and orange alien values for ya!

Again, why demote them to something we have seen before so many times in other movies before? You want alien killers that kill for nothing, look at Alien then. Want killers that kill for lulz, go look at Freddy films. I ask, why do this to Predator?

Its like getting mad at spicy peppers for being spicy, can't take the spice, go eat watermelon or something, don't take the spice from peppers it looks dumb.

It's interesting to note:

Solely in my own personal travels, my experiences, and my interactions alone, I've found this phenomena of people's desire to change the concept of Predator... the wanting to transform the creature from its core concept to these argh, kill, kill, kill psychopathic monsters... to be disproportional high among Alien fans that prefer the Alien monster first and foremost, but also have become Predator fans by nature of the two creatures' union. It's really interesting. So perhaps, just perhaps, there is something subconsciously inherent in many primary Alien fans and their love for that unrelenting kill kill kill type of monster that causes them to want to apply that appeal to Predators, to make them more personally enjoyable.

Who knows for certain. I'm sure much more intelligent people than me could analyze this, weigh all of it and determine its merits if any.  :)

BlueMarsalis79

I think them being strictly honourable just makes them predictable, in that respect it's exciting when they break "the rules" like a real life human hunter, deciding to switch to auto when their own safety's threatened.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed