Re-watched AVP again! and found some irritating spots!

Started by GUiLE, Apr 15, 2007, 08:07:53 PM

Author
Re-watched AVP again! and found some irritating spots! (Read 8,499 times)

SiL

Quote from: RIJOENPIAL on Apr 19, 2007, 11:06:54 AM
Well, I kinda liked it... It was a game without a story so any story is better than no story...  :D

It had a very definite story, one of its defining features: A teleportation experiment opens up a gate to hell. Demons flood out. All hell breaks loose, literally. This was expounded into a very cinema-friendly version for the 3rd game, which the movie was based on.

And they couldn't even do that.

QuoteNow seriously, I took the movie for what it is, just entertainment...

I find it entertaining, but it's not what a Doom movie should have been.

QuoteThe prob is you think these movies are taken into consideration by the studios to be anything more than mere popcorn movies...they aren't...and you can see that in every movie like this, every comic-book-turned-movie...

So, why the anger and surprise...?

Oh, this is just beautiful.

In your AvP Idea thread: The studios are stupid and uncreative and the only way to make better movies is to be bold and original. Stop following the studios and think outside the box.

Here: Studio sees it as nothing as entertainment, neither should you.

Hypocrisy, much? ::)

QuoteAnd I praise the effort, not the outcome...

Well you know, that Hitler guy really put a lot of effort into killing all those Jews. Good on him.

QuoteDoom was a good game , but I would not make it int a movie.... Do you even know why they decided to do it in the fist place...? probably just for the money...Hollywwod is getting a lot of that lately... meaning, the last decade...

Because Doom has great potential for a film adaptation, that's why. Money may come into it, but without that first spark, it never would have happened.

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: SiL on Apr 19, 2007, 11:20:21 AM
Quote from: RIJOENPIAL on Apr 19, 2007, 11:06:54 AM
Well, I kinda liked it... It was a game without a story so any story is better than no story...  :D

It had a very definite story, one of its defining features: A teleportation experiment opens up a gate to hell. Demons flood out. All hell breaks loose, literally. This was expounded into a very cinema-friendly version for the 3rd game, which the movie was based on.

And they couldn't even do that.

QuoteNow seriously, I took the movie for what it is, just entertainment...

I find it entertaining, but it's not what a Doom movie should have been.

QuoteThe prob is you think these movies are taken into consideration by the studios to be anything more than mere popcorn movies...they aren't...and you can see that in every movie like this, every comic-book-turned-movie...

So, why the anger and surprise...?

Oh, this is just beautiful.

In your AvP Idea thread: The studios are stupid and uncreative and the only way to make better movies is to be bold and original. Stop following the studios and think outside the box.

Here: Studio sees it as nothing as entertainment, neither should you.

Hypocrisy, much? ::)

QuoteAnd I praise the effort, not the outcome...

Well you know, that Hitler guy really put a lot of effort into killing all those Jews. Good on him.

QuoteDoom was a good game , but I would not make it int a movie.... Do you even know why they decided to do it in the fist place...? probably just for the money...Hollywwod is getting a lot of that lately... meaning, the last decade...

Because Doom has great potential for a film adaptation, that's why. Money may come into it, but without that first spark, it never would have happened.

SiL, first of all, those are not incompatible, and your 'hipocrisy' remark amuses me... you of all people...

Studios ARE always on safeguard mode, always making calculated risks, but comparing Doom and Resident Evil with the A and P franchises, games, not movies, that do not HAVE a past like Alien and Predator have, THAT is what I was talking about...

And your interpretation of what I said has more of you than me in it, so if you are gonna do this, I suggest you quote me instead of this...interpretation of what my ideas in the AVP2 thread were...

Your comparing A and P, with the mythos they have, with a DOOM or a RESIDENT EVIL game story speaks for itself...

Also, my Hitler remark was completely decontextualised by you, so be careful about that...

If you're gonna quote an idea, do it from the beginning, not individualise sentences out of context... You're not a journalist, by any chance, are you...?

Just kidding... I kidd a lot, you know...!

So, if you don't understand what I was getting at, just ask, don't make my words your own... That is rude and disrespectful...

Two things, while apparently contradictory to you, are not so in my mind... And I should know, shouldn't I...?

So that is that: Doom and Resident Evil are good games, but without enough appeal to be successful story-driven movies... in my book, of course... contrary to Alien and Predator movies and the crossovers, who forcibly need to have more because of the richness of the franchises... ;)

SiL

QuoteAnd your interpretation of what I said has more of you than me in it, so if you are gonna do this, I suggest you quote me instead of this...interpretation of what my ideas in the AVP2 thread were...

It's not an interpretation. You pretty much said, 'The studios just do the same-old all the time, stop following them and ask for something different'. You weren't referring to AvP, either, you were referring to film in general. So again, by your new rationale I should be fine with having repetetive shit shoved down my throat because the studio's fine with dishing it out.

QuoteYour comparing A and P, with the mythos they have, with a DOOM or a RESIDENT EVIL game story speaks for itself...

Doom has a considerable mythos all to its lonesome. Resident Evil as well, maybe even moreso.

QuoteSo that is that: Doom and Resident Evil are good games, but without enough appeal to be successful story-driven movies... in my book, of course... contrary to Alien and Predator movies and the crossovers, who forcibly need to have more because of the richness of the franchises...

Your books are wrong - That's the reason they were adapted, because they thought they could make good flashy story-driven movies out of them.

Lots and lots of people put a lot of time and effort into making the games, the supplements, and anything and everything related to them. There's a wealth of info there which, properly compiled, could come up with a damned good character and story-driven movie. The problem is people refuse to see past the superficiality of the games and concentrate only on what's in front of them.

I'm sure there are a shitload of fans - More for each of those game franchises than all of the A and P franchises - who strongly disagree that we should be content with shit movies just because the studio doesn't think there's any 'richness' to the franchises.

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: SiL on Apr 19, 2007, 08:26:46 PM
QuoteAnd your interpretation of what I said has more of you than me in it, so if you are gonna do this, I suggest you quote me instead of this...interpretation of what my ideas in the AVP2 thread were...

It's not an interpretation. You pretty much said, 'The studios just do the same-old all the time, stop following them and ask for something different'. You weren't referring to AvP, either, you were referring to film in general. So again, by your new rationale I should be fine with having repetetive shit shoved down my throat because the studio's fine with dishing it out.

QuoteYour comparing A and P, with the mythos they have, with a DOOM or a RESIDENT EVIL game story speaks for itself...

Doom has a considerable mythos all to its lonesome. Resident Evil as well, maybe even moreso.

QuoteSo that is that: Doom and Resident Evil are good games, but without enough appeal to be successful story-driven movies... in my book, of course... contrary to Alien and Predator movies and the crossovers, who forcibly need to have more because of the richness of the franchises...

Your books are wrong - That's the reason they were adapted, because they thought they could make good flashy story-driven movies out of them.

Lots and lots of people put a lot of time and effort into making the games, the supplements, and anything and everything related to them. There's a wealth of info there which, properly compiled, could come up with a damned good character and story-driven movie. The problem is people refuse to see past the superficiality of the games and concentrate only on what's in front of them.

I'm sure there are a shitload of fans - More for each of those game franchises than all of the A and P franchises - who strongly disagree that we should be content with shit movies just because the studio doesn't think there's any 'richness' to the franchises.

...And you probably believe in aliens too...!!

I was being sarcastic when I said what you said I said... LOL ... You CAN take a joke after all...

Also, you seem to be satisfied with the studios shove down your throat, 'cause you're asking for seconds....

About DOOM and RES, you are wrong there... Comparing movies with games is as foolish as it gets...

RESIDENT EVIL, DOOM, BLOODRAYNE, etc, were not made because they had a terrific story to tell, just to fatten on the fans... sorry, but that's the harsh reality of it...

ALIEN and PREDATOR are different... these were the times FOX risked things to make movies... Star Wars, Alien, Predator, they were all gambles that fortunately paid off...

You are right about the fans showing their disapproval... that doesn't mean they are hearing you AT ALL... And that's the tragedy here... You assume studios do AVP and AVP2
movies to please you, but they don't... All they do is this: they make you crave for it and then , they shove it down your throat and the more you struggle, the more you want to see it... I always find amusing the people who dissed AVP but STILL they are going to see AVP2... It is fandom at its best... the delusiona faith that AVP2 will be better when they have nothing to support those claims... And worse, stating that comparable to AVP, who hit rock bottom, AVP2 will always be better... Sure it will, comparing it to nothing...

So, my books are right as always, SiL... I know fans better than you know yourself... And you can take that to the bank and cash it...

You will struggle, you will moan, but you know this is how fans think, and this is EXACTLY why the studios will always manipulate you like children and count the money they did nothing to deserve...

And that's FOX of late...

So, keep it up...I'm sure that AVP2 will meet your VERY LOW expectations... what movie wouldn't...? '

If you set the bar low enough, you don't have to jump anymore, all you have to do is crawl...'

That is why Fox gave up on Alien 5... They wanted low cost and profitable movies to assure a return... And they are right: despite AVP dividing fans, AVP was the third most profitable Alien movie, I think... and all you bitcha nd complain about AVP and PWA is ignored by Fox, who know that the more controversial the movie, the more people will see it... Take 'PASSION OF CHRIST' for instance... I am beginning t think the PG-13 was not only to broaden the target audiences, but to spike up interest by the fans, and it surely paid off...

So, you think you have the steering wheel...? Think again...

They are manipulating you and you are just being happy about it...' Oh, boy, an AVP2... goody, goody... I can't wait...!'

To end, games-turned-movies will always be garbage movies because there will never be a creative investment in them... Period... They do the least they can... DOOM had a B-movie cast, B-movie story and B-movie FX... Resident Evil was produced by Constantin films and the second by Screen Gems... no major studio like Fox or Warner wanted it... only Sony... and it shows... So you think this is the fault of the writers or the directors...? Think again... If these movies had the potetntial acknowledged by the big studios, they would do it... but they didn't... what does that tell you, SiL...?

And this post is long (Darn it!) so I leave it to you...

SiL

SiL

QuoteAlso, you seem to be satisfied with the studios shove down your throat, 'cause you're asking for seconds....

I seem to remember saying I was disappointed with the video game movies ...

QuoteALIEN and PREDATOR are different... these were the times FOX risked things to make movies... Star Wars, Alien, Predator, they were all gambles that fortunately paid off...

Predator wasn't.

QuoteSo, my books are right as always, SiL... I know fans better than you know yourself... And you can take that to the bank and cash it...

;D

Oh, you are full of yourself, aren't you? It's hardly worth replying, but it's entertaining seeing you tucking your head between your legs and kissing your own ass.

QuoteYou will struggle, you will moan, but you know this is how fans think, and this is EXACTLY why the studios will always manipulate you like children and count the money they did nothing to deserve...

Me, me, me!

And of course you're above the turmoil, the One that Knows, with the wisdom to make it all better for you are truly enlightened, my friend, and I am but a mere pawn!

...Oh, you're just too funny :D

QuoteI'm sure that AVP2 will meet your VERY LOW expectations... what movie wouldn't...?

My low expectations are retrospective.

AvP 2 announced - High hopes.
Details leaked - Low hopes, but still optimistic.

I want a good movie. I really do. But I don't think AvP 2's going to give it to me.

QuoteAVP was the third most profitable Alien movie, I think...

The most profitable.

Quoteand all you bitcha nd complain about AVP and PWA is ignored by Fox,

And your voice rises above it all?

QuoteSo, you think you have the steering wheel...? Think again...

When did I ever say I was?

Quote' Oh, boy, an AVP2... goody, goody... I can't wait...!'

;D

This is why you should stop acting like you know two things about me: You simply don't, so stop embarrassing yourself. I'm one of the biggest pessimists out there when it comes to AvP 2. I may be optimistic about its chances, but when it comes to an argument I'd sooner throw it down and drag it through the dirt of its own faults.

QuoteSo you think this is the fault of the writers or the directors...? Think again...

Of course it's their fault. The studio may not care, but it doesn't mean the filmmakers, or the audience, doesn't.

RIJOENPIAL

RIJOENPIAL

Quote from: SiL on Apr 20, 2007, 10:08:13 AM
QuoteAlso, you seem to be satisfied with the studios shove down your throat, 'cause you're asking for seconds....

I seem to remember saying I was disappointed with the video game movies ...

QuoteALIEN and PREDATOR are different... these were the times FOX risked things to make movies... Star Wars, Alien, Predator, they were all gambles that fortunately paid off...

Predator wasn't.

QuoteSo, my books are right as always, SiL... I know fans better than you know yourself... And you can take that to the bank and cash it...

;D

Oh, you are full of yourself, aren't you? It's hardly worth replying, but it's entertaining seeing you tucking your head between your legs and kissing your own ass.

QuoteYou will struggle, you will moan, but you know this is how fans think, and this is EXACTLY why the studios will always manipulate you like children and count the money they did nothing to deserve...

Me, me, me!

And of course you're above the turmoil, the One that Knows, with the wisdom to make it all better for you are truly enlightened, my friend, and I am but a mere pawn!

...Oh, you're just too funny :D

QuoteI'm sure that AVP2 will meet your VERY LOW expectations... what movie wouldn't...?

My low expectations are retrospective.

AvP 2 announced - High hopes.
Details leaked - Low hopes, but still optimistic.

I want a good movie. I really do. But I don't think AvP 2's going to give it to me.

QuoteAVP was the third most profitable Alien movie, I think...

The most profitable.

Quoteand all you bitcha nd complain about AVP and PWA is ignored by Fox,

And your voice rises above it all?

QuoteSo, you think you have the steering wheel...? Think again...

When did I ever say I was?

Quote' Oh, boy, an AVP2... goody, goody... I can't wait...!'

;D

This is why you should stop acting like you know two things about me: You simply don't, so stop embarrassing yourself. I'm one of the biggest pessimists out there when it comes to AvP 2. I may be optimistic about its chances, but when it comes to an argument I'd sooner throw it down and drag it through the dirt of its own faults.

QuoteSo you think this is the fault of the writers or the directors...? Think again...

Of course it's their fault. The studio may not care, but it doesn't mean the filmmakers, or the audience, doesn't.

Uau, quite the contortionist I am...  :D

I can't help it if you are just wrong...

First, I was alluding to AVP2 and you knew it...

Second, Predator was not WHAT? a gamble? Sure it was... A success...? Probably not at the time, but it was sure compensated over the years...

Check the budget and the revenue and you will see it more clearly...

A sure success (from the studio's POV) has large investment in it... Take X-Men 3 (210 million) for instance...

And SiL, I was not specifically talking about you... nor was I criticising you... I drift from specific critics to general 'fan' critics without any hint... That is just how my mind works... I start with specific criticism and then I broaden them on short notice...

I am not a genius nor do I have a position of power... My POVs are what yours are worth...which is nothing to everyone else and everything to you... We may talk, criticise, whatever and whenever we want, it does not change the fact that FOX has always the upperhand, the marketing department to manipulate general audiences and fans... and the only way to assert ourselves is to stop giving them the benefit of the doubt which favours them completely... After you and thousands more show up at the premiere, even if it's crap, they'll be earning a pile...That is why the first-weekend grosses stats are so important... because it is the best grossing time for studios... If you and the fans wait a while longer, it will complicate things for Fox...

Yes, I am urging people to sabotage Fox by not attending the first weekend... go during the week, because the first weekend stats will show Fox they are not allowed to take fans for granted... I am, of course, speaking of US fans, the global boxoffice countries (Germany, England, France, Spain...) are a different matter... International grosses which deliver 70, 80% of the total grosses, as you already know...

So, that is my pledge: to await till the first weekend passes and then see it... That is the only way to assert yourselves... If you do what you've been doing, which is criticise it BUT go see it anyway the moment it premieres, then your critics will fall flat on their 'behinds'...

Your choice... I, for sure, will do this, because I am up to here with Fox assassinating what has been done for 30 years, just for a quick profit...

SiL, I am not craving for failure, but fed up with Fox...

The moment I heard an ALien 5 was in the works and they traded it for AVP, I went berserk... And that was the final proof I needed to see just how creatively corrupt and money-driven Fox is...

And I will do my part in boycotting AVP2, not because of the movie, but to let Fox sweating...Of coourse, only with a concerted effort by the fan community will this work... But I will be having my conscience clear and at ease, at least...so that will be a good thing...

Nevertheless, this will only work in the US and I, not being being in the US, ...

Those of you who live there, show your power...! Make your voice be heard! Make them  respect you!

(And so endeth my speech...)

Sorry about that last part...Got a little carried away...  :D

So, it is your choice there, guys, none other...

You CAN see the movie, just make them sweat a little bit...!

You will ALL feel a whole lot better...!

And if the movie sucks...well... at least, you got a kick out of it...! ;)

PS: If you think I am right about this boycott, pass the word...  ;)

Its Game Time

Its Game Time

Quote from: Azanode on Apr 15, 2007, 10:09:55 PM
The scene that bugs me the most is when the chestburster emerges from Sebastian. Not only was it completely bloodless.

That pissed me off more than anything.  They didnt even fix that for the Unrated Version.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed