Last Movie You Watched Part 1

Started by Ratchetcomand, Dec 08, 2007, 05:28:17 AM

Author
Last Movie You Watched Part 1 (Read 1,081,361 times)

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Nineteen Eighty-Four

Well, this is a fantastic movie. John Hurt was at his absolute finest as Winston Smith, and I cannot think of a person better suited to play that role. Richard Burton and Suzanna Hamilton were each great in their respective parts as O'Brien and Julia, as well. I felt the score was also a great part of the film, very much bringing out Smith's feelings of isolation and hopelessness. The last half hour of the movie was quite hard to watch, and the ending left me feeling emotionally empty. Definitely not a pick-me-up.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones
Enjoyed it way more than precedent views.
The death of Anakin's Mother gotta be one of the saddest scenes in the whole series. Shed some tears actually.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SpaceMarines on Jun 17, 2012, 09:43:34 AM
Nineteen Eighty-Four

Well, this is a fantastic movie. John Hurt was at his absolute finest as Winston Smith, and I cannot think of a person better suited to play that role. Richard Burton and Suzanna Hamilton were each great in their respective parts as O'Brien and Julia, as well. I felt the score was also a great part of the film, very much bringing out Smith's feelings of isolation and hopelessness. The last half hour of the movie was quite hard to watch, and the ending left me feeling emotionally empty. Definitely not a pick-me-up.

I've never read the book entirely or seen the movie, but I know the story inside and out and absolutely love it. I just saw a play of it, actually.

Feral_PRED

Feral_PRED

Moon  8/10

Die Hard 2  7.5/10

Nix Evil

Nix Evil

Star Trek 3 - 2/10

Sinister Serenity

Sinister Serenity

Quote from: Nix Evil on Jun 17, 2012, 02:12:43 PM
Star Trek 3 - 2/10

Damn, harsh.
It was bad, but it wasn't THAT bad.  :D

If that's what you think of three, wait till you see five.

Eva

Eva

Snow White And The Huntsman - 6/10

Strange how watching this yesterday, left me with much of the same overall sensation I had after watching Prometheus. Great visuals, great sounddesign and a beautiful opening. I was surprised of how much of a 'Willow-vibe' it has - my friend said the exact same thing. Its problems arise with some sequences that could essentially be cut entirely, some performances and the ending, which pretty much mirrors the issues that imo could and should have been improved with Prometheus.

Two sequences - SW and the huntman encountering and fighting a troll and them spending time in a village populated with females only. Nothing wrong with them as such - they just don't lead to anything of any consequence in the story and that's like 10-12 minutes the story could have spent to good use in the company of the dwarves or the rushed ending instead. Stewart and Hemsworth could use a bit more character depth - Stewarts SW has little to do but fulfill her role as a princess on the run from Therons Queen and eventually fulfill her role as the main protagonist when they attack the castle in the end, to fulfill her role of the only person capaple of killing the otherwise immortal queen. An awful lot of fitting into a characterarc that seems predestined and little room to actually explore/evolve the character beyond that. In the ending everything happens so fast and the film wraps up in what feels like 60 seconds with a bookend sequence.

The good stuff besides what I mentioned earlier (I really loved the visuals - gorgous) - Charlize's Queen - I'd like to have seen more of her and what makes her 'tick' and the seven dwarves as realized in this film. I had no idea going into this film what a great cast they had assembled to play this gang and they essentially steal the film in the 2nd act. They are this films Michael Fassbender/David  :)

Comparing this with Prometheus (as Vickers did), I do prefer Prometheus though. Let Vickers post Charlize Theron angry eyes gif in my direction, if he dares...  Oh, I kid... ;) 

First Blood

First Blood

Cape Fear (1991)

I think in this instance, the remake far surpasses the original. DeNiro is downright terrifying as newly released convict Max Cady. And Jessica Lange was gorgeous looking in this movie.

"Come out, come out, wherever you are!"

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Men in Black III for the second time. This actually marks the first time I see a film twice in the cinema, and I am proud of my choice. :)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Still haven't gotten a chance to see that, unfortunately. Probably going to have to end up waiting for the DVD/Blu Ray.

Shasvre

Shasvre

Sudden Impact (1983)

Clint Eastwood once again returns as Harry Callahan and this time he's joined by his then real-life wife, Sondra Locke, as Jennifer Spencer, a woman who's out to get revenge on the men (and woman) who raped her and her sister a decade ago. This time the action's been moved from San Francisco to a smaller town, and while it works for this movie, I usually prefer the bigger setting for the Dirty Harry series.

Both Eastwood and Locke are excellent in their roles, and Pat Hingle also delivers a solid performance as the somewhat corrupt police chief of San Paulo. They also got a good bunch to play the villains in this, especially Paul Drake as Mich and Audrie J. Neenan as Ray, both very unplesant characters.

I love revenge movies and this is a good one.

8/10

Vickers

Vickers

Quote from: Eva on Jun 17, 2012, 04:45:49 PM
Snow White And The Huntsman - 6/10

Strange how watching this yesterday, left me with much of the same overall sensation I had after watching Prometheus. Great visuals, great sounddesign and a beautiful opening. I was surprised of how much of a 'Willow-vibe' it has - my friend said the exact same thing. Its problems arise with some sequences that could essentially be cut entirely, some performances and the ending, which pretty much mirrors the issues that imo could and should have been improved with Prometheus.

Two sequences - SW and the huntman encountering and fighting a troll and them spending time in a village populated with females only. Nothing wrong with them as such - they just don't lead to anything of any consequence in the story and that's like 10-12 minutes the story could have spent to good use in the company of the dwarves or the rushed ending instead. Stewart and Hemsworth could use a bit more character depth - Stewarts SW has little to do but fulfill her role as a princess on the run from Therons Queen and eventually fulfill her role as the main protagonist when they attack the castle in the end, to fulfill her role of the only person capaple of killing the otherwise immortal queen. An awful lot of fitting into a characterarc that seems predestined and little room to actually explore/evolve the character beyond that. In the ending everything happens so fast and the film wraps up in what feels like 60 seconds with a bookend sequence.

The good stuff besides what I mentioned earlier (I really loved the visuals - gorgous) - Charlize's Queen - I'd like to have seen more of her and what makes her 'tick' and the seven dwarves as realized in this film. I had no idea going into this film what a great cast they had assembled to play this gang and they essentially steal the film in the 2nd act. They are this films Michael Fassbender/David  :)

Comparing this with Prometheus (as Vickers did), I do prefer Prometheus though. Let Vickers post Charlize Theron angry eyes gif in my direction, if he dares...  Oh, I kid... ;)

That's a fair review, Eva.

I think the soundtrack is far superior to the soundtrack from Prometheus.  And the film does indeed have a Willow vibe.  It's kind of like Willow, Stardust and Lord of the Rings had a baby with a little Princess Mononoke thrown in the mix.  The cinematography is spectacular.

I do agree about the troll sequence.  Essentially the troll was just eye candy.  And I also agree about the rushed ending.

Spoiler
They really could have taken out that troll sequence and added more to the confrontation in the end.  It didn't have as much intensity as it could have had.  I wanted to see the queen give them even more hell before getting killed.  Although, she was kicking major Snow White ass.  I actually found it funny how Snow White was so weak against the queen and then only because of a convenient stab did she manage to kill the queen.
[close]

Queen Ravenna was the highlight for me with the dwarves following closely behind.  Honestly if it wasn't for the queen and the dwarves, the film wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable as it was for me.  And I found the relationship between the queen and her brother interesting.

And another thing that was interesting to me:

Spoiler
We all know how psychotic the queen can get but did you see that from her brother's point of view, he couldn't see the mirror man.  I think it was all in Ravenna's mind.  Like she created this personality to reassure herself that she's beautiful.
[close]

One thing that did bother me and that also bothered me in Prometheus is I feel that there was some cutting in this film too.  Apart from the trailer shots that didn't make it (queen screaming and glass shattering, Snow White on hill looking at castle, some dialogue etc.) I think some scenes were shortened down.  But where Snow White and the Huntsman is stronger is that it maintains a good pace.  We get time to appreciate the visuals - it doesn't feel too rushed.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts and I'm sorry that maybe I hyped it up too much. :(

Eva

Eva

Quote from: Vickers on Jun 17, 2012, 08:29:17 PM
That's a fair review, Eva.

I think the soundtrack is far superior to the soundtrack from Prometheus.  And the film does indeed have a Willow vibe.  It's kind of like Willow, Stardust and Lord of the Rings had a baby with a little Princess Mononoke thrown in the mix.  The cinematography is spectacular.

I do agree about the troll sequence.  Essentially the troll was just eye candy.  And I also agree about the rushed ending.

Spoiler
They really could have taken out that troll sequence and added more to the confrontation in the end.  It didn't have as much intensity as it could have had.  I wanted to see the queen give them even more hell before getting killed.  Although, she was kicking major Snow White ass.  I actually found it funny how Snow White was so weak against the queen and then only because of a convenient stab did she manage to kill the queen.
[close]

Queen Ravenna was the highlight for me with the dwarves following closely behind.  Honestly if it wasn't for the queen and the dwarves, the film wouldn't be nearly as enjoyable as it was for me.  And I found the relationship between the queen and her brother interesting.

And another thing that was interesting to me:

Spoiler
We all know how psychotic the queen can get but did you see that from her brother's point of view, he couldn't see the mirror man.  I think it was all in Ravenna's mind.  Like she created this personality to reassure herself that she's beautiful.
[close]

One thing that did bother me and that also bothered me in Prometheus is I feel that there was some cutting in this film too.  Apart from the trailer shots that didn't make it (queen screaming and glass shattering, Snow White on hill looking at castle, some dialogue etc.) I think some scenes were shortened down.  But where Snow White and the Huntsman is stronger is that it maintains a good pace.  We get time to appreciate the visuals - it doesn't feel too rushed.

Anyway, thanks for sharing your thoughts and I'm sorry that maybe I hyped it up too much. :(

Agree with the first spoiler and I had the same impression with your 2nd spoiler - the brother clearly doesn't see the figure or hear it speak. Glad you mentioned Stardust - love that film. Imo that film essentially got some of those details that SWATH and Prometheus didn't quite deliver on just right. It also had stellar visuals and soundtrack and a great finale. One of those movies that came out of nowhere and just swept your feet away.  :)

PS: don't worry - you didn't hype it too much. I enjoyed watching it overall. I'm glad you had a good time with it as well :)

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Eva on Jun 17, 2012, 10:02:08 PMGlad you mentioned Stardust - love that film.
As if I did not love you enough.

Keg

Keg

Quote from: Prime113 on Jun 17, 2012, 07:57:58 AM

Coriolanus - 5/10  Could have been a great movie...IF it wasn't verbatim from Shakespeare's story. Why update the setting if you're not gonna update the dialogue?

It worked very well for Baz Luhrmanns Romeo & Juliet. Even scenes where they refer to swords but they actually pull out guns worked. I actually really liked that film and im eager to see Coriolanus which looks like it does a similar thing.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed