Halo

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 10, 2006, 12:19:56 PM

Author
Halo (Read 762,645 times)

KNIGHT

KNIGHT

Quote from: DC on Sep 10, 2013, 12:31:54 AM
Quote from: KNIGHT on Sep 10, 2013, 12:29:01 AM
...The games where we actually begin ot learn more about them and they play a much larger role in changing the story is when they became "Lolspacezombies"?

..That's nearly all they were in the first one what even-

QuoteThe only game I ever found the Flood scary in

They revealed too much about the Flood too fast for them to ever be scary again to me.

The more I knew about them, the scarier they became- Because they weren't just space zombies, they were a true legitimate  species that presented its own threat with an actual intelligence guiding it.

Quote..That's nearly all they were in the first one what even-

So, Mr. Badass, you didn't jump even a little when Halo: Combat Evolved did that unexpected 180 plot-twist and threw in mutant, gurgling, amalgamated, twisted, grotesque, and abominable freaks of nature that, at first, literally attacked you in swarms of THOUSANDS . . . ?

No, I can honestly say they did not scare me in the first one. Granted, I hate zombies. They are the stupidest most overused thing as far as I am concerned, which is why I loved when we learned more about them in later games and the EU.

In Combat Evolved, they were just more things to shoot that plated a role in the story, but not enough for me to care at that point. They were secondary to learning about the ring's purpose (Which the covenant was gonna try to activate anyway), and the new threat 343 posed.

DC

DC

Quote from: KNIGHT on Sep 10, 2013, 12:38:21 AM
Quote from: DC on Sep 10, 2013, 12:31:54 AM
Quote from: KNIGHT on Sep 10, 2013, 12:29:01 AM
...The games where we actually begin ot learn more about them and they play a much larger role in changing the story is when they became "Lolspacezombies"?

..That's nearly all they were in the first one what even-

QuoteThe only game I ever found the Flood scary in

They revealed too much about the Flood too fast for them to ever be scary again to me.

The more I knew about them, the scarier they became- Because they weren't just space zombies, they were a true legitimate  species that presented its own threat with an actual intelligence guiding it.

Quote..That's nearly all they were in the first one what even-

So, Mr. Badass, you didn't jump even a little when Halo: Combat Evolved did that unexpected 180 plot-twist and threw in mutant, gurgling, amalgamated, twisted, grotesque, and abominable freaks of nature that, at first, literally attacked you in swarms of THOUSANDS . . . ?

No, I can honestly say they did not scare me in the first one. Granted, I hate zombies. They are the stupidest most overused thing as far as I am concerned, which is why I loved when we learned more about them in later games and the EU.

In Combat Evolved, they were just more things to shoot that plated a role in the story, but not enough for me to care at that point. They were secondary to learning about the ring's purpose (Which the covenant was gonna try to activate anyway), and the new threat 343 posed.

Well I guess we're gonna have to agree to disagree on that point. A lot of people thought the Flood were scariest in 1 however.

ShadowPred

ShadowPred

They weren't to me either. They're just annoying as f**k.

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

I thought the plot twist was the frightening part, and being alone without Cortana to apply any logic to the situation made it really tense. It wasn't their apparearance or combat encounters that freaked me out, but the atmosphere of the situation, stranded and alone on some desolate ringworld out in space.

That said, I thought they were the eeriest in combat in Halo 2, just venturing into the areas they'd taken over, going in as a secondary response team of sorts as the Arbiter. That music when you're taking your long slow descent down the vertical piston pipes... and the level High Charity where everything is nearly entirely in the dark as Master Chief. That was the real scary shit.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

I didn't know the flood were ever scary...

JokersWarPig

JokersWarPig

I thought the food were terrifying when I played it the first time when I was younger. When I bought CEA there where a few times I jumped because I'd turn around and there'd be one in my face.
I loved the Flood as an enemy and I hope they make a return, but nothing 343 can do will re-create that tension that started at the beginning of 343 guilty spark and climaxed at the awesome cut scene.

p1nk81cd

p1nk81cd

Quote from: ShadowPred on Sep 10, 2013, 12:44:10 AM
They weren't to me either. They're just annoying as f**k.

This.

Sabby

Sabby

I think it comes down to tone. Comparing Halo to Halo 2 is like comparing Aliens to Star Trek. They're certainly similar, but the first is much darker and has a certain atmosphere to it.

I remember finding the Flood for the first time, and it had a long, tense build up to the reveal, with a genuinely creepy pay off, and between the music and the maze like level design, it just felt imposing.

Where as Halo 2, they go "SURPRISE! Floods here :3"

No Halo game after CE has really given them the red carpet that the first reveal got.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UqED_Yi3yA#ws

Glad I never bought the PC version now. Guess I'll have to pick up some Microsoft points and purchase this and The Walking Dead: 400 Days.

KNIGHT

KNIGHT

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 30, 2013, 04:12:46 AM

Glad I never bought the PC version now. Guess I'll have to pick up some Microsoft points and purchase this and The Walking Dead: 400 Days.

Xbox doesn't use the MS points system anymore.

You can still buy cards and codes for the points and use them on the console, which I guess is pretty easy, but it just converts to real money at this point. So buying it directly from the story may be easier.

Either way, REALLY glad to see this coming to Xbox. Was bugging me immensely that I couldn't play it.  :laugh:

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: KNIGHT on Oct 30, 2013, 02:36:47 PM

I've been out of the loop for a while :D

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

Quote from: KNIGHT on Oct 30, 2013, 02:36:47 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Oct 30, 2013, 04:12:46 AM

Yep, I bought points from the store but when I activated them they were converted to $$$, the amount I spent for the points.

PRJ_since1990

PRJ_since1990

It sure took them forever to convert to real dollars. It was more annoying than anything else. 80 MS = $1.00 instead of a 1-1 ratio (100MS = $1.00) so I'm sure they basically took 20cents of every dollar spent.

A friend showed me Spartan Assault on his Surface. I was unamused. It was cool, yeah but I really didn't walk away from it feeling inspired or encouraged to go buy a Windows product to play it on. Now it's coming to Xbox? Yeah I can dig that. Now about Halo 2 Anniversary... :)

Greedo

Greedo

Got this today, was not cheap but was worth it ODST's are so badass :)

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Annnnnnd now I have the ODST soundtrack playing in my head and I want to play the game for the millionth time.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed