Halo

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 10, 2006, 12:19:56 PM

Author
Halo (Read 763,387 times)

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: Space Sweeper on Jun 15, 2011, 03:08:08 AM
Quote from: Aeus on Jun 15, 2011, 03:03:50 AM
He hasn't been that since CE. And he has plenty of personality flair in that.

They should concentrate on building him as a character rather than masturbating their writing egos making new ones that are almost always underwhelming and forgettable.
You've gotta be the first person I've talked to that didn't like ODST's characters.

Personally, I've never seen Chief as a blank slate, but that's probably because I read The Fall of Reach early in my "fandom". Like, before I got to Halo 2. I actually found that his personality increased as the series went on, Halo 3 doing it best.

ODSTs characters are carried by their voice acting.

Personally I don't understand why you'd want anyone but Chief. He's an incredibly larger than life character, and the Halo universe is HIS universe. He's immediately more interesting than anyone else in the room and he's just begging for more meat on his bones.

Who the f**k honestly cares about a ragtag group of stereotyped squadies when you could learn about the greatest Supersoldier in the universe? There's just no comparison.

And I'm not opposed to the people in the background getting the spot light. One of my fav comic series is Gotham Central - a series which focuses on the lives of the Gotham PD rather than Batman -, it's great....but would I read it over a good Batman comic? No way.

343's only real alternative would be to make someone as colourful and as big as Chief is as a concept. They could use the Arbiter sure, he fits the bill but he lacks the human connection.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Current cover art:

If this is what it will be shipped in, I'm happy. I like it quite a bit.

I don't like all the black.

Purebreedalien

Purebreedalien

They should concentrate on building him as a character rather than masturbating their writing egos making new ones that are almost always underwhelming and forgettable.
You've gotta be the first person I've talked to that didn't like ODST's characters.

Personally, I've never seen Chief as a blank slate, but that's probably because I read The Fall of Reach early in my "fandom". Like, before I got to Halo 2. I actually found that his personality increased as the series went on, Halo 3 doing it best.

[Edit]

Current cover art:

Actually that was made by someone over at DeviantArt

http://luvmitux.deviantart.com/art/Halo-212066652

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Bottom half of the helmet is f**ked. Je rejette!

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Aeus on Jun 15, 2011, 12:43:04 PM

Personally I don't understand why you'd want anyone but Chief. He's an incredibly larger than life character, and the Halo universe is HIS universe. He's immediately more interesting than anyone else in the room and he's just begging for more meat on his bones.

Who the f**k honestly cares about a ragtag group of stereotyped squadies when you could learn about the greatest Supersoldier in the universe? There's just no comparison.

And I'm not opposed to the people in the background getting the spot light. One of my fav comic series is Gotham Central - a series which focuses on the lives of the Gotham PD rather than Batman -, it's great....but would I read it over a good Batman comic? No way.

343's only real alternative would be to make someone as colourful and as big as Chief is as a concept. They could use the Arbiter sure, he fits the bill but he lacks the human connection.

I agree with both viewpoints here. The Chief is cool, but he had a great ending. Still there is a lot more to do with him post Halo 3.

But then, Halo is a huge series. There is so much more during the war we can learn about. More characters, locations, even game types. And why stop at the war? I would love a Forerunner/Precurser/Flood game set thousands of years before the Halo we all know and love.

We've barely scratched the surface. As cool (though unnecessary) as it is to see the Chief again, there is still so much more that can be done. I know Chief is the XBox/Halo Mascot, and I've accepted his return, I also want to see more games set at other parts of the story without him.

Deathbearer

Deathbearer

Not diggin' the Chief's helmet on that poster

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Deathbearer on Jun 15, 2011, 02:53:38 PM
Not diggin' the Chief's helmet on that poster

For the remake? They're still working on the helmet. I tihnk they may have the final done by Pax.

Nightlord

Nightlord

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

JaaayDee

JaaayDee

Is anyone else bugged by the colorful nebulae they added?

I'm more than happy with them fixing Chief's helmet, but this stuff needs to go as well.  It will look odd after watching the final cutscene in Reach and then starting where you left off and seeing this blue and purple crap everywhere. 

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 15, 2011, 02:53:09 PM
Quote from: Aeus on Jun 15, 2011, 12:43:04 PM

I agree with both viewpoints here. The Chief is cool, but he had a great ending. Still there is a lot more to do with him post Halo 3.

But then, Halo is a huge series. There is so much more during the war we can learn about. More characters, locations, even game types. And why stop at the war? I would love a Forerunner/Precurser/Flood game set thousands of years before the Halo we all know and love.

We've barely scratched the surface. As cool (though unnecessary) as it is to see the Chief again, there is still so much more that can be done. I know Chief is the XBox/Halo Mascot, and I've accepted his return, I also want to see more games set at other parts of the story without him.

People seem to forget that secondary characters have had plenty of exposure in the Halo Universe.

Of the 12 games and books, Chief only features as the main character in 6 of them and thats including the novel 'The Flood' which is just a rehash of CE. People seem to overlook this because Chief is hands down the most memorable character, and in the games at least the new characters are bland stereotypes.

Nightlord

Nightlord

Well this is the same image in original graphics and there are tints of the blue and purple all they've done is enhance it and make it look less like a painting I think.

Cap. Fitzgerald

Cap. Fitzgerald

Anyone want to play a few games?

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Purebreedalien on Jun 15, 2011, 02:06:24 PM

[Edit]

Current cover art:

Actually that was made by someone over at DeviantArt

http://luvmitux.deviantart.com/art/Halo-212066652
All they had done was re-size it and sharpen it for a desktop size. It's still from 343i.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed