Just Talk. Part 1

Started by Anonymous684, Nov 10, 2007, 07:53:28 AM

Author
Just Talk. Part 1 (Read 1,992,848 times)

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Quote from: Space Sweeper on May 26, 2011, 05:32:03 AM
I went into my extended thoughts about the Inception soundtrack here:

Spoiler
Quote from: Space Sweeper on Feb 28, 2011, 05:54:11 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dumncPYPJEg#ws

See there was something that really got me with Inception. The progression and layout of the instruments all gave a very dreamlike feel. The track above was featured in big Cobb's "waking" scene, in which the mission had be accomplished, and it starts by him still in limbo with Saito saying

"Come back... so we can be young men together again. Come back with me. Come back."

During that, there was a very subtle and haunting single string section playing as Cobb urges Saito to go back to reality with him, and up to the shot of Saito picking up the gun. When Cobb's eyes open is when the track starts. Of course there is a certain amount of change between the track, as the movie's version starts and stops when required. An example of which being when it slows down as Cobb is at customs and is having his passport inspected- a tense moment in which Saito's word is bound to Cobb's fate. The moment it is accepted, a beautiful addition of guitar flows into the track as Ariadne turns and looks over at Cobb, smiling.

As I had previously mentioned, it was all in the progression and arrangement of the instruments, and this was a prime example of it's effectiveness. No matter how bombastic or lowkey it gets, it is perfect for the dreamlike state that they are in for the majority of the movie and resonates as being very true (at least through my own experience) of the emotion dreams can evoke. People often complain about the "BRAAAAHHHHM"s (as they've become known as), but they make complete sense in the context of the narrative, and push the power of the scenes it is featured in forward with great strength- the greatest example of which being the van's descent into the water, building up to the kick. And that's what it's all about- the kick. Bringing us back to what we know as reality with a breathtaking relief brought out in "Time".

Batman's score was perfect for what it was, and looking closer at Inception's reveals much more that it would appear. Or sound.

Spoiler
Holy shit. I really got into that.
[close]
[close]

The score worked very well in the context of the film. But I found it did not stand up as well isolated. There were very few moments that really stood out to me. It all just seemed fairly generic (with the exception of certain parts). Very well composed generic, but generic nonetheless.

My favourite track was definitely Time, though. It was very well done. Very unique, and quite powerful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0kGAz6HYM8#ws

Aeus

Aeus

I prefer this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imamcajBEJs#ws

As stale as I find Inception to watch these days, its score is truly great.

Although the things he did with some of the TDK score were more impressive than just slowing down 'Non, je ne regrette rien'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QjuEWsdgEc#

This just assaults the ears and the mind.

First Blood

First Blood

Quote from: Aeus on May 26, 2011, 02:49:27 PM
Although the things he did with some of the TDK score were more impressive than just slowing down 'Non, je ne regrette rien'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-QjuEWsdgEc#

This just assaults the ears and the mind.

That's one of my favorite pieces from the film. It just seems to go with the bank scene so well.

Aeus

Aeus

I like how it relentlessly escalates and harasses the senses. If going insane had a sound, it would be that razor sharp noise.

It fits the Jokers character like a glove.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: TheMonolith on May 25, 2011, 09:19:50 PM
I've never seen Top Gun, or Schindler's List, or The Seventh Seal, or Metropolis, or...
Haha, neither have I. :P

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on May 25, 2011, 09:21:34 PM
that's okay, when you hear that
Spoiler
I've never watched a single western in my life
[close]
You ain't alone, unless we consider Tremors 4 to be a Western.

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

Tell you what man. we'll set up a stream channel.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Oh haha. :D
It's hard to believe yeah, but... I've never seen a single Western in my life. Not wholly that is. I've only seen glimpses while zapping channels. The only two films I've seen that can be considered as such,  though I do not consider 'westerns' in the strict sense of the term, are, as said, Tremors 4, and Valley of Gwangi. But without Underground Monsters or Dinosaurs? No. Nada. Nein.

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

I just Sang Bohemian Rhapsody on my mike.

i sound weird, but i can get used to this. now, to read aloud alll my posts.

Pn2501

Pn2501

Quote from: OmegaZilla on May 26, 2011, 05:10:04 PM
Oh haha. :D
It's hard to believe yeah, but... I've never seen a single Western in my life. Not wholly that is. I've only seen glimpses while zapping channels. The only two films I've seen that can be considered as such,  though I do not consider 'westerns' in the strict sense of the term, are, as said, Tremors 4, and Valley of Gwangi. But without Underground Monsters or Dinosaurs? No. Nada. Nein.

Isn't that some sort of crime in italy.

First Blood

First Blood

Yes - The ghost of Sergio Leone is actively looking for him.

King Rathalos

King Rathalos

Quote from: King Rathalos on May 22, 2011, 03:47:15 PM
My families home computer is being fixed at the moment (in case you're wondering I'm on PS3.). My mom says it should be back by Friday. If that is so, I'll mess around trying to re connect my scanner/printer. Then on Saturday I'll try to start the art thread I mentioned a few days back.

The thread might have to wait, I don't think my families getting the computer back tomorrow.

Sharp Sticks

Sharp Sticks

Quote from: First Blood on May 26, 2011, 09:12:36 PM
Yes - The ghost of Sergio Leone is actively looking for him.

Anonymous684

Anonymous684

soooo riddle me this! Women say they should have the same rights and blah blah blah as men and feminists and w/e! Yet when you tell a lady to do something that they usually wouldn't cause we all know what i just said prior is bullshit they flip!

I just dont get it, been on my mind for awhile and was wondering that you guys think!

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Yeah. If you want equality, you gotta take it all. Can't pick 'n choose.

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

Women don't want equal rights. they want fair rights.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed