Reproduction Method Official

Started by SuicideDoors, Oct 26, 2007, 08:01:45 AM

Do you like the new addition to the lifecycle?

Love it!
80 (21.6%)
Pretty Cool
135 (36.5%)
I expected more
31 (8.4%)
Hate it
40 (10.8%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R
30 (8.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.
54 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author
Reproduction Method Official (Read 200,990 times)

Hybrid PM

Hybrid PM

I dont know if its vomiting per se but she's putting embryos into people through her mouth.

csutkakoma

csutkakoma

Love it!     - 36 (22.6%)
Pretty Cool    - 61 (38.4%)
I expected more    - 13 (8.2%)
Hate it    - 12 (7.5%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R    - 16 (10.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.    - 21 (13.2%)

I think this is means something!  More people like the idea. Thx haven.

echobbase79

echobbase79

Quote from: Anomaly on Oct 27, 2007, 06:27:48 PM
Quote from: BUGZ on Oct 27, 2007, 06:15:37 PM
The Stause Brothers have said they are going back to the old roots of Alien/Aliens? But ive not seen, in any clips or pictures showing evidence of this other than teenagers and cops running around in an American Pie setting. I'm sorry,but thats just wrong! Not only have you help aid Anderson Bastardise the AVP franchise - you have also helped f**k up both the Alien AND the Predator franchise.

Its interesting too, because while AVP was Pg-13 and had crap story and script, AVP2 is deforming it the other way with 1 single selling point: grit. Theyre approaching it like grit apparently is in many peoples mind: slasher. How different is this REALLY from AVP?

Grit and crappy horror are not one and the same. Its sad that were actually bowing to this nonsense with one of the strongest franchises to prove this wrong: alien in particular. Thats whats so frustrating.

Now we get a vomiting gag on top of this. Nice.  ::)

Maybe in AvP 3 the lifecycle will expand to an Alien circle jerk.  :P

YutaniDitch

YutaniDitch

Quote from: csutkakoma on Oct 27, 2007, 06:38:06 PM
Love it!     - 36 (22.6%)
Pretty Cool    - 61 (38.4%)
I expected more    - 13 (8.2%)
Hate it    - 12 (7.5%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R    - 16 (10.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.    - 21 (13.2%)

I think this is means something!  More people like the idea. Thx haven.

Yes, the figures don't lie...or do they...?  ;)

It is 60-40 so far...but still two months to go... The poll is not over yet, is it...?  ;)

Anomaly

Anomaly

Quote from: echobbase79 on Oct 27, 2007, 06:38:16 PM
Maybe in AvP 3 the lifecycle will expand to an Alien circle jerk.  :P

Or maybe a alien cycle resistant to delluded film maker superjerks who think Grindhouse was the most brilliant thing on earth?

echobbase79

echobbase79

I wonder what the age range is on some of these?

I voted I expected more because I don't won't do judge the film before its release.

But I'm really leaning more towards that it sucks the more I think about it.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 27, 2007, 10:14:04 AM
We have to assume there is only a limited amount of times an alien can reproduce that way.

Why? I don't see why Aliens would have pre-built restrictions. If they can use it, then they're going to use it, wholesale.

More to the point, this is what egg transformation was for. Many people, including myself, are puzzled at why a perfectly decent method of reproduction has been both changed and made obselete.

QuoteThat Queen was in captivity.  We don't know how she would have acted if she was free to do anything she wants.

Physical space won't affect what the thing's physical capabilities are. Like I wrote earlier, are we going to believe the scientists never put a wild animal in there, just to see what might happen? After all, they had no way of knowing how the Queen process kicks off. They had Ripley 7 laying around doing nothing but writhing around in pain, if nothing else.

QuoteIt would presumably take some time for the Queen to produce enough eggs to protect her in this way. In the meantime, she is vulnerable.

How is going around looking for fights making her in any way safer than finding somewhere dark and secret to set up home? All that time she wastes could be used a lot more productively. She'll have to hook herself up in a room and start making eggs at some time. Might as well be early.

QuoteYeah but this is not always a given.

It is in a town like the one we see represented. There would be ample time and space to set itself up in a suitable place. We know there's a basement, the sewers and there are also the woods.

QuoteIt is a reference to the games, though.  I know that most people only know about predaliens through the AVP games.

That's no excuse for deliberately trying to recreate one of the most shittiest designs in game history. :)

Just look at what they made up for that thing. It looks terrible. There weren't even the upper set of mandibles on it. I might find a few obvious things to dislike about this one, but at least it's better than that would have been.

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 27, 2007, 10:22:18 AM
Well if she is busy fighting off enemies, she can't lay eggs can she?

This is an argument for the thing not going out to seek danger. :)

Quote from: Gates on Oct 27, 2007, 01:05:41 PM
Now I'm really going to throw up...somebody please tell me that this whole sh!tbag idea didn't come from some form of EU garbage... :-X

It wasn't. It's from 'Warhammer'. Like I said, I think these directors coudl make a great film adaptation of that, but the fact remains, Genestealers were always designed as Alien imitations (they were literally copied from the Alien design), whose method of reproduction was by forcing embryos into victim's mouths and down throats.

What's ironic is that, by making the Predalien do that, it's imitating an imitation. :)

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 27, 2007, 01:36:23 PM
We know there was only one egg shown - there couldn't have been two facehuggers.

There could have, actually. There might have been more than one egg in that place.

Quote from: Devils Advocate on Oct 27, 2007, 01:40:09 PM
So what Colin is basically saying is that if there is no Queen, life or nature will find a way to change the whole order of things if it can't reproduce the way it was intended.

Which is precisely what egg transformation should have been for.

I was trying to make things fit, by originally suggesting that egging victims was for Queens and this other method was to create regulars. See? That would have fitted perfectly. It would even have truly accounted for Lambert (if this is what is being alluded as having happened to that character), by preserving both methods.

The problem is that, if the Predalien is becoming a Queen, then the egg cocoons no longer have any biological purpose.

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 27, 2007, 01:53:51 PM
When Kane is being lowered into the egg chamber - only one section has the stasis fields.  All of the other eggs look deformed - like in the game AVP2 - you see those eggs are obviously expired.

It's just a production error. The viewer isn't meant to analyse it, any more than we're meant to analyse how Bishop's torso is sticking out of a hole, on the Sulaco. Like Gates points out, some of them are bigger than even the character being lowered into the chamber. :)

They were just badly drawn, that's all. The only reason we only see one of the fields clearly is because it's the main one which has light shining on it.

Their purpose was intentionally ambiguous. It was meant to raise that question in the viewer's mind: Is it keeping them in stasis? Is it a safety device? Is it an alarm? Is it the extraterrestrial version of really funky wallpaper?

Who knows?

Quote from: RoaryUK on Oct 27, 2007, 01:56:02 PM
Oh my, how some people forget these days, yet I distinctly remember a time when Aliens came out in 1986 and the distaste for the introduction of the Alien Queen.  Ok, there was no internet back then, but there were plenty of other ways to communicate, like through the ALENS comics around at the time, and there were a LOT of people who felt that an Alien Queen who "layed eggs" seriously screwed with their vision of the originl ALIEN life-cycle.

Far be it from me to interrupt your train of thought, but there were no 'Aliens' comics around, back then. :)

Quote from: Horhey on Oct 27, 2007, 02:53:02 PM
I dont see whats so horrible about this concept. This is just another display of the Alien's uncanny ability to adapt. Makes sense. If there isnt a Queen to lay eggs, a dominant Alien will molt into one over time. The Predalien regurgitating in people's mouths is just the beginning stage of it's ability to reproduce.

Alien fanboys should dig this concept becouse it makes the Alien species even more risiliant.

I do. I like the idea. It really fits with them.

But again, the problem is not a question of how great it might look on the screen, but that it would simultaneously contradict stuff. :)

Which might not be problematic, but the directors have set themselves up for this criticism by being at pains to try and point out how they're not going to change any of the canon information.

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 27, 2007, 02:58:59 PM
That's what I've been trying to say all along.  It is totally logical.  But haters will be haters.

Who's hating? I'm not. I've repeatedly said that I like the idea, as a concept. I've also said that I think it would be great if this is the method used to make regular Aliens, while egging is what makes emergency Queens available.

However, by adding the extra dimension of the Predalien moulting, that's no longer possible and neither is egging or Queens being hatched naturally.

That's not hating, it's pointing out obvious logical problems in the story.

I can't help but wonder what the rection might be if, say, the Predator was suddenly shown using the bones of its prey to make hollowed-out flutes, blowing a happy little tune through them to 'sing' to the gods above.

Would it be new? Yeah. Would it fit with Predator tribal themes? Sure. Would it contradict with what we know they use the skulls for and ignore the bones? Definitely.

Quote from: Predator-S on Oct 27, 2007, 03:17:53 PM
I think you're all forgeting one thing. The brothers didn't came up with that idea just for the sake of something new. They had to do it, because of the plot. I mean, how do you expect the town to be overrun by dozens of aliens? Egg laying/morphing would take a lot of time and will make the Predalien too vulnerable.

No, it wouldn't. It takes a few hours, at most. That could easily be dealt with by a melting cut and small legend on the screen, indicating that very brief passage of time. If multiple hosts are taken in that time, like in 'Alien 3', all taken to the nest and used to create eggs and cocooned hosts for the same, then there would be a sudden explosion in numbers, all at one time.

Thematically, the stakes and any resulting tension would have risen massively and that would suit the story.

Of course, if the passage of time is what's resulting in this, then wouldn't a chestburster take quite a time to mature, on its own, before having grown enough to break free?

Seems as if we might be seeing a return of the accelerated growth.

Quote from: Aeus on Oct 27, 2007, 03:35:05 PM
I'm not impartial to this new life cycle addition. As long as it is pulled off well it's fine by me. I just don't want the Predalien vomiting on someones face.

It won't be. It'll be doing an even more graphic version of what facehuggers do, forcing the inner mouth down the prey's neck. It'll look fantastic.

It'll still contradict, though.

QuoteI don't think it breaks continuity or anything as far as I know (but I'm not an expert on all things Alien), so it's kind of interesting to see what a Young Queen does to make new Aliens when it can't make eggs yet.

Technically, it's not a young Queen. It's an orginary regular which is becoming one.

Quote from: Jenga on Oct 27, 2007, 05:08:55 PM
Anyone who is on the "Sil" side has to be realizing that we probably lost our chance forever to get one final REALLY GOOD alien movie when FOX passed on James Cameron and Ridley Scott working together on Alien 5.......that still burns more than anything else ever will.

Fox didn't pass. Scott and Cameron did. Cameron later came to admit the 'versus' concept wasn't what he was fearing and that he regrets being so impulsive about bailing out of it.

QuoteJesus we need Ridley Scott now more than ever *sigh*  :(

Not sure about that. We already know he would immediately redesign it to look like something completely new and wanted the film to end with Space Jockey ships over the Earth, 'bombing' it with eggs from orbit.

If anybody else came up with those ideas, they would be laughed at. :)

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 27, 2007, 05:55:57 PM
The only thing it may contradict is the egg-morphing scene in Alien.

And Queens being naturally hatched. There's no biological need for them to be so, if any regular Alien can be one.

It's what should have happened in 'Alien 3', but unless this film is going to somehow retroactively show that was a dream, it needs to work within the frame of what rules have been shown in the films before it.

Quote from: Hybrid PM on Oct 27, 2007, 06:02:38 PM
Dude, Colin said that this part of the life cycle won't contradict anything in any of the Alien movies, take his word for it.

This reminds me of the 'South Park' version of Saddam Hussein.

"What? I'm not makin' any bombs! Heyyy! Take a load off, fella'! Look over here! You need to relax!"

:)

QuoteIt might seem really bad right now but it might actually work in the movie.

It will. It'll work really well in the film, I'm sure of it.

That's not the same thing as it working well in the series. :)

echobbase79

echobbase79

It might seem really bad right now but it might actually work in the movie.

It will. It'll work really well in the film, I'm sure of it.

That's not the same thing as it working well in the series.

Good point.  :)

Anomaly

Anomaly

Quote from: Anomaly on Oct 27, 2007, 06:42:35 PM

Or maybe a alien cycle resistant to delluded film maker superjerks who think Grindhouse was the most brilliant thing on earth?

As Logan says in X-Men 1: "Theres a war coming, are you sure youre on the right side?"

:P

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Oct 27, 2007, 06:51:26 PM

That's not the same thing as it working well in the series. [/i]

Yes indeed. T3 being proof that whats good in a film isnt always good when u look at the series.

DB

DB

Quote from: gameoverman on Oct 27, 2007, 06:26:02 PM
rebuild the hive through mouth impregnation. There is nothing wrong with this new idea, it makes the alien species that more menicing and dangerous.

Yeah, it does. It also makes the original lifecycle a redundant piece of crap.

Anomaly

Anomaly

rebuild the hive through mouth impregnation. There is nothing wrong with this new idea, it makes the alien species that more menicing and dangerous.

It does NOT make them more menacing and dangerous, it makes them more disgusting and over the top nasty like some zombie film or whatever. The aliens will ALWAYS be more menacing and dangerous because raw disgustingness has nothing to do with scary. Its skill.

Its not mouth imnpregnation.. its PUKE. ok? Have we already given this a scientific name? lol!

Major Alan Schaefer

Quote from: Anomaly on Oct 27, 2007, 07:02:40 PM

It does NOT make them more menacing and dangerous, it makes them more disgusting and over the top nasty like some zombie film or whatever. The aliens will ALWAYS be more menacing and dangerous because raw disgustingness has nothing to do with scary. Its skill.

Its not mouth imnpregnation.. its PUKE. ok? Have we already given this a scientific name? lol!
is bacically prefachugger...if it can't lay eggs it does it manually

The Chibi Kiriyama

Quote from: Major Alan Schaefer on Oct 27, 2007, 07:10:36 PM
is bacically prefachugger...if it can't lay eggs it does it manually

So why would it move into an egg-laying phase? If it can manually implant embryos and start up a colony of warriors, why would it revert into an egg-laying cycle where it's essentially immobile and just has to hope that the eggs or warriors make up for what is now a useless function?

Major Alan Schaefer

It'd be safer for it... in AVP-R its safer to be on the run with the Wolf around, and possible its part of being young, facehuggers are nasty little buggers so they could work better and in case the Queen dies theirs the eggs so neither are useless always

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

The whole idea that all young queens go through this phase and can vomit embryos down someone's throat is just ridiculous. We're now apparently supposed to believe that in Alien Resurrection, when the queen was in captivity since being taken out of Ripley's clone, that they never observed its phases or scanned it internally to see if and when it was ready to reproduce.
 If they scanned it and saw chestburster embryos in its body, don' t you think they would have  sedated it somehow and extracted them to use, as opposed to letting the egg laying phase resume and have to go through all the trouble of illegally obtaining live human hosts to have facehuggers attach themselves to?

Also they made it clear it only takes days for it to reach full grown adulthood and start laying eggs. It is far more logical for a young queen to hide away someplace safe and finish the process of turning into a fullgrown queen as opposed to go out and hunt people to temporarily vomit in people. I mean we are supposed to believe this cycle lasts only 24-48 hours and then conveniently goes away when she is ready to lay eggs?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed