Reproduction Method Official

Started by SuicideDoors, Oct 26, 2007, 08:01:45 AM

Do you like the new addition to the lifecycle?

Love it!
80 (21.6%)
Pretty Cool
135 (36.5%)
I expected more
31 (8.4%)
Hate it
40 (10.8%)
To hell with the makers of AvP: R
30 (8.1%)
Like some aspects of it, but think it contradicts too much.
54 (14.6%)

Total Members Voted: 324

Author
Reproduction Method Official (Read 201,534 times)

KidPresentable

KidPresentable

Quote from: gameoverman on Dec 03, 2007, 08:45:33 PM
This is interesting; from James Cameron in Starlog (1992):

QuoteIn my version of the Alien life cycle, the infestation of the colony would proceed like this:

1. Russ Jorden attacked, they radio for rescue.

2. Rescue party investigates ship...several members facehuggered... brought back to base for treatment.

3. Several "chestbursters" free themselves from hosts, escape into ducting, begin to grow.

4. Extrapolating from entomology (ants, termites, etc.), an immature female, one of the first to emerge from hosts, grows to become a new queen, while males become drones or warriors. Subsequent female larvae remain dormant or are killed by males... or biochemically sense that a queen exists and change into males to limit waste. The Queen locates a nesting spot (the warmth of the atmosphere station heat exchanger level being perfect for egg incubation) and becomes sedentary. She is then tended by the males as her abdomen swells into a distended egg sac. The drones and warriors also secrete a resinous building material to line the structure, creating niches in which they may lie dormant when food supplies and/or hosts for futher reproduction become depleted (i.e. when all the colonists are used up). They are discovered in this condition by the troopers, but quickly emerge when new hosts present themselves.

http://web.archive.org/web/20000311004345/http://www.loop.com/~thrawn/cameron/article4.htm

Oh snap!

Quote from: SiL on Dec 03, 2007, 09:37:10 PM
Yeah, people complained about that, too. You guys are 21 years too late to be saying 'Well no-one complains about Aliens'.

Queen moulting can work. There, I said it. But the Bros didn't put enough thought into it.

Look at it like this. Sure, a drone can stick a host to a wall and turn it into an egg ... but what if there are no hosts? What if the only thing around is the one it came out of, and what if it has to eat it? Then it's screwed. But wait, it can turn into a Queen, poop out eggs, and die of old age waiting for something to come along and get hugged.

Except in AvP Requiem, there are hosts. Lots of them, in fact.

And there were losts of hosts in Aliens as well :) Just admit that egg morphing was pretty much retconned out of the series. It has not been seen since the reintroduction of the deleted scene in Alien. If someone wants to come along and reintroduce it back into continuity, fine. But Just like the last several directors and writers, the Bros. have decided not to.

Aeus

Aeus

Quote from: SiL on Dec 03, 2007, 09:52:36 PM
Too true.

I still prefer my hermaphroditic freak of nature idea. Explains the whole thing as a f**k up and leaves it at that.

Due to the Predasteroids?

Gates

Gates

Quote from: $cHm0cK on Dec 03, 2007, 09:48:52 PM
so thanks for your try ... but dont come again plz ..  ;) ..

Originality has officially been murdered...

$cHm0cK

$cHm0cK

Quote from: KidPresentable on Dec 03, 2007, 09:53:19 PM
And there were losts of hosts in Aliens as well :) Just admit that egg morphing was pretty much retconned out of the series. It has not been seen since the reintroduction of the deleted scene in Alien. If someone wants to come along and reintroduce it back into continuity, fine. But Just like the last several directors and writers, the Bros. have decided not to.

Agree!

@ Gates

love ya! It always makes me laugh!

greetz

The Chibi Kiriyama

"This is the to-pic that never ends
Oh, yes; it goes on and on, my friends..."

SiL

SiL

And there were losts of hosts in Aliens as well :)
Woopee - Your point? We know Queens are born Queens. Cameron's behind the scene explanation in the interview counts for nothing.

QuoteJust admit that egg morphing was pretty much retconned out of the series.
Except the Strause Brothers accept the idea as canon.

Gates

Gates

Quote from: $cHm0cK on Dec 03, 2007, 10:07:06 PM
love ya! It always makes me laugh!

It's all in good fun man... ;D

Although some people take what I say waaaaaaay toooooo seriously which blows but whatever, I'm glad you get a laugh out of it...

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Aeus on Dec 03, 2007, 09:53:41 PM
Due to the Predasteroids?
Sure, why not?

Jenga

Jenga

This thread is still going?  :D

CanadianHero67

CanadianHero67

Quote from: Jenga on Dec 03, 2007, 10:24:38 PM
This thread is still going?  :D

There over 3,000 post and 210 pages! :o

gameoverman

gameoverman

Quote from: SiL on Dec 03, 2007, 10:10:38 PM
Woopee - Your point? We know Queens are born Queens. Cameron's behind the scene explanation in the interview counts for nothing.

If queens are born queens then that means more than one queen can be born at a time.

Aeus

Aeus

KidPresentable

KidPresentable

Quote from: SiL on Dec 03, 2007, 10:10:38 PM

I was under the impression that you believed a queen method of reproduction was better in situations in which few hosts are available.  You said that egg morphing would be a viable option for reproduction if there were many hosts available. There were many hosts available in Aliens yet the queen method was taken.

Except the Strause Brothers accept the idea as canon.

But they didn't reintroduce it. So thus far it is still out of the series.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Aeus on Dec 03, 2007, 10:38:08 PM
Sounds good to me.
*grabs your hand and starts skipping down Merry Happy Funtime Lane towards the sunrise*

Quote from: KidPresentable on Dec 03, 2007, 10:39:37 PM
I was under the impression that you believed a queen method of reproduction was better in situations in which few hosts are available.
No, that queen moulting was better in a situation where there are no hosts available.

QuoteBut they didn't reintroduce it. So thus far it is still out of the series.
The Alien DC counts.

Major Alan Schaefer

"No, that queen moulting was better in a situation where there are no hosts available."

The Predalien does start off on a ship full of predators which is gues he kills so at the time there are no hosts...if that's what you meant that's probably part of the reason it molts

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed