The ROBOCOP thread

Started by stickaround, Feb 27, 2007, 11:25:12 PM

Author
The ROBOCOP thread (Read 277,745 times)

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

Quote from: Alienseseses on Sep 10, 2013, 04:33:56 AMIt's possible they're doing an inversion of the original.
The original: Robocop believes he's a machine but slowly learns he's human.
The remake (potentially): Robocop believes he's human but slowly realizes he's actually little more than a machine.

I doubt this is clever enough to achieve that.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: KiramidHead on Sep 10, 2013, 02:16:04 PM
Quote from: Hubbs on Sep 10, 2013, 05:28:06 AM
I dunno you do get all those flashbacks in the original, do we really need to linger on family stuff that much?.

Not necessarily, but it's a potentially interesting direction to go that wouldn't be a direct lift from the other movies.

Quote from: tmjhur on Sep 10, 2013, 11:04:26 AM
Quote from: hfeldhaus on Sep 10, 2013, 05:20:24 AM
well thats what the director said and the whole family thing was never expanded upon to a great depth in the originals. the first had some when he became aware of his humanity but then it was dropped completely

Directors say a lot of things before their movies come out.

Call me an optimist, but I never straight up assume that someone is lying.

Maybe not straight up lying but he's just playing the Hollywood game, accentuating the positive, talking down the negative, hoping he'll get in good with the suits on this remake so he can do his dream project next.

His buddy who directed City of God had this to say:
"Meirelles tells Cinemacom Rapadura that after having spoken with Padilha he gets the impression the director is having a tough time asserting control over the RoboCop production. Now this information comes to us by way of Meirelles – a close friend of Padilha's but not someone closely connected with the production – but if true could mean the project is in serious trouble, even before it begins shooting next month.

Here's Meirelles quote, translated from his native Portuguese:

"I talked to José Padilha for a week by phone. He will begin filming Robocop. He is saying that it is the worst experience. For every 10 ideas he has, 9 are cut. Whatever he wants, he has to fight. 'This is hell here,' he told me. 'The film will be good, but I never suffered so much and do not want to do it again.' He is bitter, but it's a fighter."

RoaryUK

RoaryUK

Quote from: Requiem28 on Sep 10, 2013, 02:59:50 AM
Quote from: RoaryUK on Sep 09, 2013, 07:45:52 PM
After all the flak it's received, especially from me, this film might actually be very good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwEHGDkZIo#ws
RoboCop International TRAILER (2014)

What was the difference?

What do you mean exactly? All I'm saying is I like what I'm seeing so far. I could question some things, such as the "car bomb" that maims Murphy doesn't feel right, but overall RoboCop 2014 looks promising.

Alienseseses

Alienseseses

Quote from: Gilfryd on Sep 10, 2013, 05:03:03 PM
Quote from: Alienseseses on Sep 10, 2013, 04:33:56 AMIt's possible they're doing an inversion of the original.
The original: Robocop believes he's a machine but slowly learns he's human.
The remake (potentially): Robocop believes he's human but slowly realizes he's actually little more than a machine.

I doubt this is clever enough to achieve that.
Unfortunately, you're probably right. But there's always a possibility. I never saw anything in the Total Recall trailers that hinted at anything below the surface.

Gilfryd

Gilfryd

ace3g

ace3g

Quote from: Gilfryd on Sep 11, 2013, 01:17:58 AM

Guessing you were trying to post this

DC

DC

Quote from: ace3g on Sep 11, 2013, 01:23:22 AM
Quote from: Gilfryd on Sep 11, 2013, 01:17:58 AM

Guessing you were trying to post this

Both images are not showing on my end.

Requiem28

Requiem28

Quote from: RoaryUK on Sep 10, 2013, 05:20:37 PM
Quote from: Requiem28 on Sep 10, 2013, 02:59:50 AM
Quote from: RoaryUK on Sep 09, 2013, 07:45:52 PM
After all the flak it's received, especially from me, this film might actually be very good.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUwEHGDkZIo#ws
RoboCop International TRAILER (2014)

What was the difference?

What do you mean exactly? All I'm saying is I like what I'm seeing so far. I could question some things, such as the "car bomb" that maims Murphy doesn't feel right, but overall RoboCop 2014 looks promising.

I meant with the international trailer.

Hubbs

Hubbs

'This Robocop film is obviously a cash in. The suit isn't supposed to be a suit, it's supposed to be his body, a man transformed into a machine. The original really sold this idea with having just his head & a simple digestive system being the only organic parts left of him. The visual of his skin stretched over metal was a disturbing & nightmarish image. I personally thought that with today's technology they could really push the envelope of him being cyborg even further, but instead they turned him into just a man in a suit. That's safer and far less dark. More family friendly, more toy friendly.'

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

Gee, be nice to get sources and names to go with that quote.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Does it matter? its spot on.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I love how people keep harping on that point when the trailers clearly state, in plain English, "it's not a suit." ::)

Space Sweeper

Space Sweeper

Quote from: Hubbs on Sep 11, 2013, 04:01:55 AM
'This Robocop film is obviously a cash in. The suit isn't supposed to be a suit, it's supposed to be his body, a man transformed into a machine. The original really sold this idea with having just his head & a simple digestive system being the only organic parts left of him. The visual of his skin stretched over metal was a disturbing & nightmarish image. I personally thought that with today's technology they could really push the envelope of him being cyborg even further, but instead they turned him into just a man in a suit. That's safer and far less dark. More family friendly, more toy friendly.'
'Hehe,' he added.

Hubbs

Hubbs

Quote from: KiramidHead on Sep 11, 2013, 04:06:37 AM
I love how people keep harping on that point when the trailers clearly state, in plain English, "it's not a suit." ::)

Yeah but it looks like a suit that's the problem. The head/face section just looks like a guy in a sci-fi suit.

SpaceMarines

SpaceMarines

I have no issue with that. This is quite clearly trying to be a very different beast than the original film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed