What Is Canon & Should We Care About It? Fting. Author Alex White - AvP Galaxy Podcast #184

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 13, 2024, 04:26:54 PM

Author
What Is Canon & Should We Care About It? Fting. Author Alex White - AvP Galaxy Podcast #184 (Read 4,313 times)

Sabres21768

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 15, 2024, 12:27:07 AM
Quote from: Sabres21768 on May 14, 2024, 11:58:29 PMI've always wanted someone to address the throw away line from Bishop in ALIENS "The blood oxidizes on death, effectively neutralizing it."
This would mean that acid blood is no longer a threat once the Xenomorph is dead.

Well, eventually. I don't think it happens instantly. But after a few hours (or days, depending on size), sure.
That's not really the way Bishop worded it though. For a throw away line, it would seem to explain something immediate, not days down the road.

[cancerblack]

I'm thinking a hugger would be pretty fast, something the size of a queen would likely have pockets remaining for longer.

SiL

Quote from: Sabres21768 on May 15, 2024, 12:33:30 AMThat's not really the way Bishop worded it though. For a throw away line, it would seem to explain something immediate, not days down the road.
There's nothing at all to suggest it's immediate; Bishop couldn't possibly know that, since he's studying long-dead specimens. All he knows is that after they die the acid neutralises, allowing the thing to be studied.

But it's clearly not the instant they die, or the exploding Aliens throughout the film wouldn't be leaving all those acid burns.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 14, 2024, 02:59:38 PMGaska wrote both. He worked on Fox's internal bible and then he also went on to work on the RPG.

Andrew Gaska says a lot of things.

But someone in the recent podcast alluded to the Godzilla franchise and it's numerous interpretations. Funny enough, I asked this question via Facebook to Gaska a few years back.

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 14, 2024, 02:59:38 PMGaska wrote both. He worked on Fox's internal bible and then he also went on to work on the RPG.

I wrote most of the Creative Bible, which was then used for the RPG.

Local Trouble

Kradan

SM

Prez

I've always felt some things like the speed at which a facehugger can or cannot implant should be variable... much like any species there are always variances and adaptations. So for me those things can sort of bend canon per se and still be respectful to the whole series that has come before - I think also it needs to be taken into context in relation to the story. It's when we start introducing major variables such as the whole was he or wasn't he issue with David being the sole creator of the xeno. That for me is a canon deal-breaker as it (IMO) compromises all that preceded it.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on May 15, 2024, 05:30:25 AM

I wrote most of the Creative Bible, which was then used for the RPG.

Have I missed a controversy? As in stole from the Timeline/Encyclopedia, or taking credit for something you did at Fox?

SM

Don't know.  I've made no secret that I wrote most of it, which was back before the RPG started.  When I spoke to them about joining the RPG project they complimented me on how comprehensive it was, and how helpful it would be.

So unless you're talking about something different - another bible - I'm not sure?  The one I worked on is not the one Ridley talked about in interviews around the time of Covenant.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on May 15, 2024, 08:03:37 AMWhen I spoke to them about joining the RPG project they complimented me on how comprehensive it was, and how helpful it would be.

So they used it and didn't even credit you?

Prez

Quote from: SM on May 15, 2024, 08:03:37 AMDon't know.  I've made no secret that I wrote most of it, which was back before the RPG started.  When I spoke to them about joining the RPG project they complimented me on how comprehensive it was, and how helpful it would be.

So unless you're talking about something different - another bible - I'm not sure?  The one I worked on is not the one Ridley talked about in interviews around the time of Covenant.

Wow. So many questions I want to ask you @SM. Never knew this. How does one get into a position to be even asked to write such a thing - I'm very intrigued (and forgive my ignorance if this is covering old ground for you).

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 15, 2024, 08:37:48 AM
Quote from: SM on May 15, 2024, 08:03:37 AMWhen I spoke to them about joining the RPG project they complimented me on how comprehensive it was, and how helpful it would be.

So they used it and didn't even credit you?

I was paid by Fox so it was their property to provide to licensees. They weren't required to credit me. I ended up in the Special Thanks box with a million other people.

Quote from: Prez on May 15, 2024, 09:20:19 AM
Quote from: SM on May 15, 2024, 08:03:37 AMDon't know.  I've made no secret that I wrote most of it, which was back before the RPG started.  When I spoke to them about joining the RPG project they complimented me on how comprehensive it was, and how helpful it would be.

Wow. So many questions I want to ask you @SM. Never knew this. How does one get into a position to be even asked to write such a thing - I'm very intrigued (and forgive my ignorance if this is covering old ground for you).

It's down to SD Perry who put me in contact with Fox licensing while she was writing the Weyland-Yutani Report, and Willie Goldman who put me in touch with them again after staff changes and I lost contact.

After the Disney takeover the licensing staff were all laid off and I've not had contact since.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed