What Is Canon & Should We Care About It? Fting. Author Alex White - AvP Galaxy Podcast #184

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 13, 2024, 04:26:54 PM

Author
What Is Canon & Should We Care About It? Fting. Author Alex White - AvP Galaxy Podcast #184 (Read 2,737 times)

Slutty Badger

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 14, 2024, 11:36:11 AMWell to my understanding its currently the films and Isolation, so there was some form of overarching canon. Not sure on the defiance comics anymore though but I don't have a problem with that really considering that they just decided to milk Isolation and Amanda for all its worth.

Defiance is Level 2, so it's currently canon.

The Cruentus

Quote from: Slutty Badger on May 14, 2024, 01:36:25 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 14, 2024, 11:36:11 AMWell to my understanding its currently the films and Isolation, so there was some form of overarching canon. Not sure on the defiance comics anymore though but I don't have a problem with that really considering that they just decided to milk Isolation and Amanda for all its worth.

Defiance is Level 2, so it's currently canon.

Level 2?

Slutty Badger

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 14, 2024, 01:55:19 PMLevel 2?

Tier II.

Tier I is irrefutable canon - i.e. the films, most of the Prometheus/Covenant shorts, and Isolation.

Tier II is stuff that's canon for the moment, like the current run of novels, the RPG, and Fireteam Elite.

Tier III is for stuff that's largely canon but differs on several points - the film novelizations and some of the novels, for example.

Finally, barring all non-canon or external franchises, is the Myths and Legends stuff. This covers unproduced film scripts, William Gibson's Alien 3, ACM, the Aliens omnibus novels with Wilks and Billie, and so on.

The Cruentus

Source for this though? Or is this just your own opinion?

Corporal Hicks

It's Gaska's methodology when he wrote the studio bible.

The Cruentus

I thought fox's "bible" had been around before Gaska did the rpg thing.

Corporal Hicks

Gaska wrote both. He worked on Fox's internal bible and then he also went on to work on the RPG.

The Cruentus

Ah so he has been around the franchise awhile then. Fair enough.

GrimmVision

I can't imagine an Alien Bible being released on its own as piece of reading material, no matter how badly I'd love that. I wonder if Gaska's intention with the RPG was to kinda "Trojan-horse" it into existence for fans to have and look to regarding canon questions.

Hed-Veta

Meh... Gaska's methodology slightly contradicts itself in a number of aspects.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: Hed-Veta on May 14, 2024, 07:53:31 PMMeh... Gaska's methodology slightly contradicts itself in a number of aspects.

How, exactly?

Hed-Veta

Quote from: Slutty Badger on May 14, 2024, 08:47:05 PM
Quote from: Hed-Veta on May 14, 2024, 07:53:31 PMMeh... Gaska's methodology slightly contradicts itself in a number of aspects.

How, exactly?

For example, in accounting of "Fire and Stone" and "Life and Death". He writes that "Only the Aliens issues of "Fire and Stone" and "Life and Death" are part of the Alien Universe. The Predator and AVP portions are not". I'm wondering how it works if Predator and AvP are literally parts of one big story that is directly related to Aliens. It's like writing that the first chapter of a book is non-canon, the second chapter is like a canon, and the third is again non-canon. How does it work? Yes, I understand that this is a tier of Myths and Legends, but he really even put the Blade Runner above the immediate chapters of "Fire and Stone" and "Life and Death", pushing the Runner into the SHOE-HORN CANON. Like, you can somehow cram a film from a completely different copyright holder for yourself, but you can't cram individual chapters of a specific story.

The same goes for Alien: Out of the Shadows and
Alien: Sea of Sorrows. They are in the third tier, indicating only "minor problems". At the same time, these books, being the canonical part, directly set-up the events of Rage War. That is, there are not just any "discrepancies" there, but connections are directly established within the framework of a cross-cutting plot. In fact, again, throwing out the chapters of one big story.

And an example with games. Alien Isolation is one hundred percent canon of Tier 1. Fireteam Elite is tier 2. Why? What's the difference? Why is the novelization of Alien: Isolation in the second tier, and the novelization of films in the third? What is the difference between the formats?

Sabres21768

I've always wanted someone to address the throw away line from Bishop in ALIENS "The blood oxidizes on death, effectively neutralizing it."
This would mean that acid blood is no longer a threat once the Xenomorph is dead.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Sabres21768 on May 14, 2024, 11:58:29 PMI've always wanted someone to address the throw away line from Bishop in ALIENS "The blood oxidizes on death, effectively neutralizing it."
This would mean that acid blood is no longer a threat once the Xenomorph is dead.

Well, eventually. I don't think it happens instantly. But after a few hours (or days, depending on size), sure.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed