What Is Canon & Should We Care About It? Fting. Author Alex White - AvP Galaxy Podcast #184

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 13, 2024, 04:26:54 PM

Author
What Is Canon & Should We Care About It? Fting. Author Alex White - AvP Galaxy Podcast #184 (Read 2,686 times)

Corporal Hicks

We have just uploaded the 184th episode of the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast (right-click and save as to download)! In our latest episode Alex White, the author of Alien: The Cold Forge and Alien: Into Charybdis joins regular hosts Corporal Hicks, RidgeTop and Xenomorphine to discuss the topic of canon.

What Is Canon & Should We Care About It? Fting. Author Alex White - AvP Galaxy Podcast #184

We discuss the interpretations of canon, whether it matters to us as fans, whether it should matter to us as fans, working within the franchises and how canon affects the people who do, and plenty more!

What did you think of our latest episode? Be sure to let us know down below! You can also listen to any of our previous episodes in the Podcast section under the News tab on the main menu. The Alien vs. Predator Galaxy Podcast is also available via iTunes, PodBean, GooglePlay Stitcher, and Spotify! Please be sure to leave a rating and review on whichever platform you're using!

And if you'd rather see our beautiful faces, as always, the video version of the podcast is also available on the Alien vs. Predator Galaxy YouTube channel!

Make sure your browsers are locked into Alien vs. Predator Galaxy for the latest Alien and Predator news! You can also follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube to get the latest on your social media walls. Be sure to join in with fellow Alien and Predator fans on our forums as well!

Slutty Badger

Canon definitely should matter. Shit has to make sense.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Excited to give this one a listen, excellent guest in bringing Alex White on for this topic.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

"52:39"

Bishop says.

"Surgically removed before embryo implantation."

Facehuggers die after what they do, the reason why those two huggers are still alive in those tubes is because they were removed before implantation can happen. So its previously established they don't instantly inject stuff.....

However....Cold forge and covenant have it that the black goo is injected instantly......

Sounds like a contradiction to me.

Kane's xray?

Slutty Badger

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 13, 2024, 06:14:00 PM"52:39"

Bishop says.

Facehuggers die after what they do, the reason why those two huggers are still alive in those tubes is because they were removed before implantation can happen. So its previously established they don't instantly inject stuff.....

However....Cold forge and covenant have it that the black goo is injected instantly......

Kane's xray?

The Praeto-Facehugger injects the payload instantly; the normal facehugger does not.

The Cruentus

Same thing until the RPG made the distinction and even then, bar room canon, camp fire tales.

Also cold forge huggers were meant to be the "normal" ones and still injected instantly.

So my comment still stands.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 13, 2024, 06:37:58 PMSame thing until the RPG made the distinction and even then, bar room canon, camp fire tales.

Also cold forge huggers were meant to be the "normal" ones and still injected instantly.

So my comment still stands.

Yet again, the "bar-room canon" demarcation applies to the "Myths and Legends" stuff, i.e. certain games, novels, and comics that are essentially non-canon or otherwise don't fit, like the Aliens omnibuses, the plot of ACM, and the Herk Mondo comics.

The Cruentus

Might be wrong but I though Gaska said it was the whole thing, players get to set the stage and decide what is or what isn't canon.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 13, 2024, 07:11:15 PMMight be wrong but I though Gaska said it was the whole thing, players get to set the stage and decide what is or what isn't canon.

Nope. He even states that Myths and Legends should be regarded as "tall tales told in bars".

Hence "bar-room canon".

SM

Quote from: Slutty Badger on May 13, 2024, 06:29:16 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 13, 2024, 06:14:00 PM"52:39"

Bishop says.

Kane's xray?

The Praeto-Facehugger injects the payload instantly; the normal facehugger does not.

'Praeto-facehugger'...

Sometimes "canon" shouldn't matter.

iarann

I respect Alex White for their work, but I didn't really like how they defined fan. I think you can be a fan, consume all the media and have a collection, without resorting to hate and such. This idea that being a massive fan of something is always a negative, I strongly disagree. You can be a fan and be respectful of others opinions and such. For the vast majority of fans, this is the case. One fan threatening authors or whatever doesn't speak for thousands of others.

RakaiThwei

So in other words, canon is more or less dictated by the franchise and the licenses which they belong to. There's really no over arching canon.

Okay.

BlueMarsalis79

The Cruentus

Well to my understanding its currently the films and Isolation, so there was some form of overarching canon. Not sure on the defiance comics anymore though but I don't have a problem with that really considering that they just decided to milk Isolation and Amanda for all its worth.

bobby brown

I really liked the campfire tales metaphor. canon is personal.
Like and think about the things you like and leave the rest.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed