"Dragon Ball" creator dead at 68

Started by Cougerboy, Mar 08, 2024, 06:49:24 AM

Author
"Dragon Ball" creator dead at 68 (Read 722 times)

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Akira Toriyama, the Japanese manga artist behind the global phenomenon "Dragon Ball", has passed away at age 68.

Akira had first gain fame as a manga artist based on his comedy manga "Dr. Slump". Then in the early 80s, an editor noticed Toriyama's love for Kung Fu films, and he recommended him to create a manga based on martial arts. So Akira Toriyama created Dragon Ball in 1983. Its central character, Goku (and later his son Gohan), was based loosely on the famous Chinese 16th century novel "Journey to the West", and the character of "Sun Wukong" or the Monkey King. In the late 90s, the rights to Dragon Ball Z anime was bought by US production company Funimation, which released the anime series on Cartoon Network's "Toonami". This set off an anime craze among kids and Japanese anime and manga soon became a popular hit thanks to Dragon Ball. For years, "Dragon Ball" would be the top search item for internet search engines, an indication of its popularity.

Now there have been earlier anime that enjoyed success in the US, like "Astro Boy" or "Speed Racer", but anime remain by and large, a very niche interest in the US, until Dragon Ball came along and opened the eyes of American kids to the wonder of anime and manga.

The broad appeal of anime hits that many Americans love today, like Demon Slayer, Naruto, One Piece, etc, can be trace first to the arrival of Dragon Ball in the US. RIP.

www.msn.com/en-us/health/other/dragon-ball-creator-akira-toriyama-dies-at-68/ar-BB1jwORg

SiL

SiL

Right in the childhood. RIP.

BigDaddyJohn

My favorite anime of all time. He truly was a master. RIP.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

I was kinda shocked when I heard. 68 isn't a very old age nowadays, maybe in your 80s and 90s, then ok, but in your 60s...its too young to die. I am by no means a hardcore Dragon Ball fan, but I watched enough Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball Z episodes to become pretty familiar with Goku, Gohan, Chichi, Kuririn, Piccolo, Frieza, Bulma and so forth:

What are your favorite Dragon Ball episodes?

Local Trouble

Quote from: Cougerboy on Mar 08, 2024, 01:25:14 PMWhat are your favorite Dragon Ball episodes?

I have never seen Dragon Ball.

Immortan Jonesy

R.I.P  :'(

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 09, 2024, 12:11:06 AM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Mar 08, 2024, 01:25:14 PMWhat are your favorite Dragon Ball episodes?

I have never seen Dragon Ball.

Aren't you supposed to always have good taste? >:(

Local Trouble

The dude from Sweet Baby Inc says it was problematic.

RIP to Akira Toriyama though.

BigDaddyJohn

The Freezer/Namek arc is the best. Buu close second.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

My favorite episode was when Goku first turned into a giant ape:

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 09, 2024, 12:18:00 AMThe dude from Sweet Baby Inc says it was problematic.

RIP to Akira Toriyama though.

You listen to idiots like SBI?

Local Trouble

Quote from: Cougerboy on Mar 09, 2024, 01:21:39 AMYou listen to idiots like SBI?

I'm trying to increase my ESG score.  Besides, are they wrong?

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 09, 2024, 02:05:49 AM
Quote from: Cougerboy on Mar 09, 2024, 01:21:39 AMYou listen to idiots like SBI?

I'm trying to increase my ESG score.  Besides, are they wrong?

Disrespecting someone who just died and whose creation is beloved around the world, regardless of race, religion or gender, is disgusting. They are trolls.

Ah well, DB has a huge following in Latin America, they will bury morons like SBI.

Local Trouble

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 09, 2024, 02:08:47 AMYikes! :o

https://dragonball.fandom.com/wiki/Mr._Popo

So? Nobody had an issue with Popo, except for trolls. You are just trying to build fake manufactured outrage.  You are going to piss off the many black fans of DB with your b.s here.

Local Trouble

I'm just relaying what I've read.  I have never seen DB myself.

Cougerboy

Cougerboy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 09, 2024, 02:18:01 AMI'm just relaying what I've read.  I have never seen DB myself.

Then you are not in a position to make meaningful posts on this topic are you? ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed