Aliens (Constellations)

Started by Retropocalypse, Mar 19, 2023, 07:59:44 PM

Author
Aliens (Constellations) (Read 3,564 times)

Retropocalypse

Retropocalypse

There's also another analysis-type book titled Aliens (Constellations) coming out in late 2023/early 2024

It's written by Cristina Massaccesi and published by Liverpool University Press.

The LUP has published an entire series called Constellations, in which they deep-dive into Sci-Fi franchises. This time, they're covering Aliens.

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/aliens-9781800859456

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'd completely missed this one. Looks like a deep-dive on Aliens specifically. I'll give this one an order.

Retropocalypse

Retropocalypse

This publish date on this one is a bit all over the place. Some sites are reporting next month (June 1st), others are reporting January next year. Plus, there's been little updates from the author.

At least we have a summary:

QuoteOn its release in 1986, Aliens was an immediate commercial and critical success and consolidated writer-director James Cameron's status as a major new Hollywood player. Reprising some of the features of Ridley Scott's Alien (1979) and expanding them in a number of crucial ways, Aliens managed to reinforce the audience's attraction to the still fairly new Alien franchise and insert into it the seeds of narrative and visual changes that would be further explored in subsequent instalments of the series.

Aliens is an endlessly fascinating mixture of different genres: sci-fi, revenge movies, action, war films-and more specifically Vietnam War movies-all contribute in creating a visual experience that is dynamic and emotionally enthralling. The great care devoted to set and prop design gives the film its distinctive industrial and dirty atmosphere, while the narrative and psychological evolution of the Ripley character creates a modern and engaging heroine that would have a strong impact on genre cinema.

This volume in the Constellations series examines in-depth James Cameron's film within the context of genre studies, with a particular eye to Aliens' nature as an example of hybrid science fiction. It provides readers with a detailed visual analysis of the film and an overview of its major themes, from its metaphorical reading of the Vietnam War to the representation of motherhood and family.

SM

SM

Sounds interesting.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

And pre-ordered. For sure this time! I hope I didn't pre-order it before.

SM

SM

Am I reading the $120 price right?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

£20 for softback on Amazon. £80 for hardback. I ordered the soft.

SM

SM

$70 AUD is a smidge steep. Probably put it on a Wishlist and wait a couple of years for a drop.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

£20 is $70 AUD? Jesus.

SiL

SiL

£20 is currently $38, which is still steep for a soft cover.

SM

SM

$70 is what came up on Amazon.  The publishers website came up with hardcover for $120.

I'll wait and see if there's a digital version when it comes out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed