Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 20, 2023, 06:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread (Read 152,178 times)

St_Eddie

St_Eddie

Quote from: The Cruentus on May 17, 2024, 01:14:06 PMIt is when people imply that just being on this site means we all have to be drones that will go see the movie in cinema. not all fans are sheep.

This 100%.

There is a clear distinction between being a consumerist fanboy and a casual fan (with shades of grey in between).  I fall squarely into the latter category. There's not a chance in hell that I'll be going to the cinema to watch this movie, especially given that the trailer/promo shots are indicating 'member berries crap, coupled with this being a Disney production (yuk!) and there not having been a decent Alien movie since Alien 3. I'll check the movie out once there are quality HD rips on the Bay, but not until then.

Just because I check this site/forum out once or twice a week (around 10-20 minutes in total) does not dictate that I'll be rushing to watch this movie at the soonest possible opportunity.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 18, 2024, 11:45:35 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on May 17, 2024, 01:14:06 PMIt is when people imply that just being on this site means we all have to be drones that will go see the movie in cinema. not all fans are sheep.

This 100%.

There is a clear distinction between being a consumerist fanboy and a fan.  I fall squarely into the latter category. There's not a chance in hell that I'll be going to the cinema to watch this movie, especially given that the trailer/promo shots are indicating 'member berries crap, coupled with this being a Disney production and there not having been a decent Alien movie since Alien 3. I'll check the movie out once there are quality HD rips on the Bay, but not until then.

Likewise, those of us who are genuinely looking forward to seeing the movie and are excited by what we have seen and heard from the marketing so far do not all fall into the category of "consumerist fanboys". Honestly, the 'True Fan TM' bullshit is getting old now. If people don't want to see the movie (whether that be in cinema, or at all, be it for reasons that you simply aren't interested, it hasn't grabbed you, on ethical grounds, or whatever) that's perfectly fine, more power to you guys! I was exactly the same with 'The Predator'- it did nothing for me, I didn't go to cinema nor buy it on physical media, and found it was even worse than expected when I finally saw a download. I get it. This fandom is incredibly diverse, and different elements of the movies speak to each of us. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. But this constant suggestion (whether intended or not) that anyone and everyone who is genuinely excited and looking forward to this movie are somehow mindless drones/ sheep / consuming fanboys / lack critical thinking etc etc (have I missed any from past comments?) is just getting tiresome.. this is the Romulus catch all thread, we're coming here for updates/scoops/news that may be shared along with thoughts/theories/insights on those bits of info... and as someone pointed out earlier, they scrolled through 5 pages during the course of half a football match to read absolutely nothing but off-topic squabbling.

There are no "fanboys" here... we are *all* fans.

SiL

SiL

And right on cue we swing wildly to the other extreme of "if you want to watch this you're just a mindless sheep".

Feeds On Minds

As much as I already hate a lot about the leaks, I'm still going to see Romulus opening night at the SF Metreon(the second largest IMAX screen in the US for Hollywood releases); and I'm buying my tickets the very moment they drop to get the very best seats.
I was too young to catch 1-3 in the theater, so every theater experience I've had in with series has ranged from frustrating to heartbreaking.
I hope I'm so very wrong about this film; I want nothing more than to fall in love with this series again, and maybe gain some hope for its future.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on May 19, 2024, 02:13:06 AMAnd right on cue we swing wildly to the other extreme of "if you want to watch this you're just a mindless sheep".

This can all go away if you'll just pledge to buy a ticket on opening day and post a positive review of it afterward.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 19, 2024, 02:22:58 AM
Quote from: SiL on May 19, 2024, 02:13:06 AMAnd right on cue we swing wildly to the other extreme of "if you want to watch this you're just a mindless sheep".

This can all go away if you'll just pledge to buy a ticket on opening day and post a positive review of it afterward.
You pay for my ticket and I'll be there.

PsyKore

PsyKore

Quote from: Feeds On Minds on May 19, 2024, 02:21:52 AMAs much as I already hate a lot about the leaks, I'm still going to see Romulus opening night at the SF Metreon(the second largest IMAX screen in the US for Hollywood releases); and I'm buying my tickets the very moment they drop to get the very best seats.
I was too young to catch 1-3 in the theater, so every theater experience I've had in with series has ranged from frustrating to heartbreaking.
I hope I'm so very wrong about this film; I want nothing more than to fall in love with this series again, and maybe gain some hope for its future.

I'm the same. I'm not even excited for Romulus, to be honest, but I'll still be there at the theater to see it!

I've seen every Alien movie in theaters since Alien 3. They're always a good time regardless. Prometheus was probably the only one, though, that was surprisingly disappointing at the time - the only one that I expected much better.

BigDaddyJohn

I manage to stay excited despite questionable elements of the story. I loved Alvarez's work till now, and an Alien movie is always an event in itself.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: St_Eddie on May 18, 2024, 11:45:35 PMthe trailer/promo shots are indicating 'member berries crap, coupled with this being a Disney production (yuk!)

Admittedly, both of those points are hard pills to swallow. I really am hoping for a meaningful, deep addition to the Alien canon that both references and builds upon events from the (chronologically) previous three films, and gives us some closure on Covenant.

I really am hoping that that's what we'll get.

Or, like you say, it could be memberberries, cheesy references, and pointlessly empty fanservice. That Ster Wurs Thrawn reference in the teaser especially sends the wind up me.

So, as aforementioned, a LOT rides on this film for me and my membership of this franchise. It is make-or-break.

I hope the right choices have been made.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

I have faith in Fede. He seems to have more respect for the material rather than just being a frothing fan boy like Paul Anderson was.

Im quietly confident. Not expecting anything original or spectacular, but I'm sure it will be a solid entry.

Slutty Badger

Quote from: TheBATMAN on May 19, 2024, 10:50:27 AMI have faith in Fede. He seems to have more respect for the material rather than just being a frothing fan boy like Paul Anderson was.

Im quietly confident. Not expecting anything original or spectacular, but I'm sure it will be a solid entry.

Fede's pedigree is quietly encouraging.

Plus, I'm hopeful that the more "classic" elements seen in the teaser and stills (the Carradine/Ripley parallels especially) are just to get us pumped and reassure us that this is a true blue Alien flick.™

What we've seen of the Xenos so far also looks pretty new, so there's that at least.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I hope its good movie. But if its not then oh well, not that big of deal. It's not going to effect my appreciation for the films I do like. My being a fan of the franchise doesn't ride on whether the next Alien film is a hit or not. 

I only see a movie in theaters once ever few years but I usually make it a point to see Alien flicks if possible. Even if I'm disappointed in the film it'll still be nice to go out for a night and see something on the big screen. I was pretty disapponted in Prometheus and Ressurection but still felt it was worth seeing at the theater and paying the ticket price.

cockroach

cockroach

Changing the subject... How soon before they are released are trailers usually rated?

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: Slutty Badger on May 19, 2024, 11:01:48 AM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on May 19, 2024, 10:50:27 AMI have faith in Fede. He seems to have more respect for the material rather than just being a frothing fan boy like Paul Anderson was.

Fede's pedigree is quietly encouraging.

Plus, I'm hopeful that the more "classic" elements seen in the teaser and stills (the Carradine/Ripley parallels especially) are just to get us pumped and reassure us that this is a true blue Alien flick.™

What we've seen of the Xenos so far also looks pretty new, so there's that at least.

I'm excited to see a 'proper' biomechanical xeno for the first time since 1986 (sorry ADI). I just hope they are tall and imposing like Chap and Stompy and not short stunt guys in suits.

The Cruentus

It doesn't matter on the height of stunt guys when there is plenty of ways to get around that. It is quite common to alter someone's height in the film industry.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed