Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 20, 2023, 06:30:14 PM

Author
Alien: Romulus Catch-All Thread (Read 159,975 times)

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 14, 2024, 10:58:46 PMWhat is Alien? It's a matter of definition. And problem with definitions in general is that we, as humans can change them which impacts our perception of reality.

If Deacon and Neomorphs are not Aliens, then what are they?
Other alien organisms. But they're not the "Alien", as in xenomorph.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Yup. Taxonomically speaking they're not 'The Alien' aka Xenomorph :) : Plagiarus praepotens (for example: Big Chap), Plagiarus linesteres (Alien from Planet 4).

Deacons / Neomorphs are Alien-like aliens. ;D 

They are undoubtedly related to the Alien (like pumas and lions), but they are not the same species.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Yeah, I know. They're not the "Alien" but nonetheless they're alien species which technically speaking is still quintessence of Alien movies. We just take it for granted that it must be the "Alien". At least for me it doesn't really matter if it's Xeno or other aliens. They are all, well ... aliens.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 14, 2024, 11:26:02 PMYeah, I know. They're not the "Alien" but nonetheless they're alien species which technically speaking is still quintessence of Alien movies. We just take it for granted that it must be the "Alien". At least for me it doesn't really matter if it's Xeno or other aliens. They are all, well ... aliens.
The Alien is the distinguishing feature. Without it why bother calling it Alien?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Prometheus doesn't have the Xenomorph species. It has extraterrestrial beings of other related species. It is the only movie that doesn't have a single Xenomorph. This is how the conversation started.

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 14, 2024, 11:26:02 PMAt least for me it doesn't really matter if it's Xeno or other aliens. They are all, well ... aliens.

By that logic, the Newborn and Xenomorph (or even the Predator 😅) are one and the same.

To put it in perspective: Tyrannosaurs were dinosaurs, but not all dinosaurs were Tyrannosaurs.

And again, we are not discussing whether or not Prometheus has extraterrestrial life forms, but rather the absence of Xenos in the movie.

Ingwar

Ingwar

I'm not disagreeing with you both and I know what you mean. I just have different approach. Alien as a monster in the first movie is just a metaphor of something unworldly or simply ... alien to us humans. Movie Alien doesn't really care how we call it (an alien, thing or whatever) because it's not important. Aliens unfortunately changed that. Paying huge attention to those names kills the spirit of it. To be honest, all those names, Xenomorph, Protomorph, Deacon, Neomorph are silly. Couldn't care less :)

Predator is not part of the franchise :)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

The lion doesn't care that we classify it as a lion. That doesn't mean the animal is the same as a Tiger...and humans classify them based on the genetic information. Same with the Alien. Nobody is talking about metaphors, only you.

kwisatz

kwisatz

We want elephant man.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 14, 2024, 11:47:42 PMMovie Alien doesn't really care how we call it (an alien, thing or whatever) because it's not important. Aliens unfortunately changed that. Paying huge attention to those names kills the spirit of it.
Aliens didn't put any emphasis on the name. It's not about the name. It's about the creature itself, regardless of what it's called.

Alien movies should have Aliens (xenomorphs, whatever the hell) in them. If it's just aliens, it might as well be something else.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 14, 2024, 11:52:19 PMThe lion doesn't care that we classify him as a lion. That doesn't mean the animal is the same as a Tiger...just because the creautre doesn't care that humans classify it based on its genetic information. Same with the Alien. Nobody is talking about metaphors, only you.

I'm not talking if the creature cares or not how we call it. I'm talking about the spirit of the movie. And Alien as a title itself is a metaphor, at least for me.

Quote from: SiL on Feb 14, 2024, 11:58:17 PMAlien movies should have Aliens (xenomorphs, whatever the hell) in them. If it's just aliens, it might as well be something else.

Of course it should have Aliens in them. I simply don't pay attention to those names. They're secondary for me.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

I understand the metaphor, but it adds nothing to the original conversation. The species to which Kane's son belongs exists. Prometheus doesn't have the creature invented / designed by Dan O'Bannon / H.R Giger. Why I repeat this?...cos is the conversation we were having! :laugh:

You say you agree. Perfect, so why continue diverting the subject? Do you just want to get the last word or something? :)

Quote from: kwisatz on Feb 14, 2024, 11:55:44 PMWe want elephant man.

We all want that my friend :'(

Nightmare Asylum

Ingwar

Ingwar

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 15, 2024, 12:39:16 AMYou say you agree. Perfect, so why continue diverting the subject? Do you just want to get the last word or something? :)

Because I agree regarding terminology and so on. But again, it's simply not important to me as Alien fan. And obviously I don't want to have the last word (or something). I just shared my take on it. Nothing else :)

Serpico Jones

Don't know if anyone has posted this but here's the spoiler info about the gruesome scene that Isabella Marced was talking about recently.

https://www.worldofreel.com/blog/2024/2/14/6cnjbokxjy1y6lpu1ypa5ezs9n1otk

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 15, 2024, 12:43:46 AM
Quote from: kwisatz on Feb 14, 2024, 11:55:44 PMWe want elephant man.

If only Dallas had Fifield's balls, he would have discovered what's inside.

Quote from: Ingwar on Feb 15, 2024, 12:46:00 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Feb 15, 2024, 12:39:16 AMYou say you agree. Perfect, so why continue diverting the subject? Do you just want to get the last word or something? :)

Because I agree regarding terminology and so on. But again, it's simply not important to me as Alien fan. And obviously I don't want to have the last word (or something). I just shared my take on it. Nothing else :)

Oki doki :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed