Why does the predator franchise have a bad reputation even among fans?

Started by nanison, Aug 16, 2022, 08:50:30 PM

Author
Why does the predator franchise have a bad reputation even among fans? (Read 4,397 times)

AlienatedPredator

Personally I think 4 of the 7 are good to great, 1 is trash and the other 2 are half decent. Not a terrible track record.

nanison

I might have to change my mind about it myself. Just rewatched AvP and I found it pretty underwhelming and even a bit irritating this time. So much callbacks to earlier entries and the predators armor is just huge, they look like fat robots. None of the kills were fun or scary.
I always liked the cooperation part the best but this time I didn't feel it anymore, it doesn't feel right. Maybe the unapproachable feral predator of Prey has changed my view on them as a possibly human friendly species.
It also looks and feels like a tv movie. I'm gonna rewatch a couple of the other ones to see if I should adjust my ranking 🫢

ZergVsProtoss

Out of 7 movies only two I would call "Great", which is the 1st one of course and the most recent Prey.

The rest fall in the range of fun popcorn flicks (Predator 2 and Predators) to downright awful (AvP:Requim and The Predator).  Personal opinion of course but I don't think I'm too far away from general consensus.

I think the future is bright though! Prey being well rated and hopefully doing well on Hulu/Disney+, I hope it puts faith in the franchise for Disney to greenlight more movies.  Also new comics and Titan books, we are getting more Predator then we have in a long time.

ScaryMinds

Quote from: Bobby Buttnugget on Aug 21, 2022, 03:10:19 PM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 18, 2022, 09:01:25 AMBut Prey is being praised for returning to form instead of reinventing the wheel. If anything the problem was trying to overcomplicate the idea.
Rehashing works but Prey wasn't done well. That's the problem. There needs to be a sliver of believability and horror.

First up I haven't seen Prey yet, but on your idea of "horror", no one is really going to get the cold fingers running up their spines with any new Predator or indeed Alien movie. We have seen the critters before, they are inserted into the public psych, nothing new is really being done.

I am amused by the attacks on Prey, due to the lead being female apparently, I really hope none of these attackers get round to watching Alien!

Highland

Quote from: ZergVsProtoss on Aug 22, 2022, 09:03:03 PMOut of 7 movies only two I would call "Great", which is the 1st one of course and the most recent Prey.

The rest fall in the range of fun popcorn flicks (Predator 2 and Predators) to downright awful (AvP:Requim and The Predator).  Personal opinion of course but I don't think I'm too far away from general consensus.

I think the future is bright though! Prey being well rated and hopefully doing well on Hulu/Disney+, I hope it puts faith in the franchise for Disney to greenlight more movies.  Also new comics and Titan books, we are getting more Predator then we have in a long time.

Don't be tossing the AVP movies in as Predator movies. Even though the Alien fans drink wine and smoke cigars whilst talking about "egg morphing", they gotta take that one on the chin aswell.

The Soda drinking Predator fans are surely not entirely responsible for those nightmares  :laugh:

SiL

It was produced by one of the producers of the Predator movies so ...

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Aug 24, 2022, 04:59:57 AMIt was produced by one of the producers of the Predator movies so ...

It's got Alien characters , Alien film lore, comes from the Alien comic and has Alien first in the title. The only thing Predator about AVP is the monster.

*Pops soda

Kradan

Are we talking comic or movie here ?

SiL

Quote from: Highland on Aug 24, 2022, 07:27:15 AM
Quote from: SiL on Aug 24, 2022, 04:59:57 AMIt was produced by one of the producers of the Predator movies so ...

It's got Alien characters , Alien film lore, comes from the Alien comic and has Alien first in the title. The only thing Predator about AVP is the monster.

*Pops soda
A Predator producer spent years collecting the rights from unwilling Alien producers because he knew it was the only way to keep his property relevant.

The first on-screen reference was in a Predator movie.

*sips wine*

Highland

Quote from: SiL on Aug 24, 2022, 07:41:41 AM
Quote from: Highland on Aug 24, 2022, 07:27:15 AM

*Pops soda
A Predator producer spent years collecting the rights from unwilling Alien producers because he knew it was the only way to keep his property relevant.

The first on-screen reference was in a Predator movie.

*sips wine*

It takes two to have a party with Wine and Soda!!

SiL

Red wine and cola actually goes together quite nicely if you use the right red wine.

No, I'm not joking.

Kradan

That's some crazy Australian quackery

BlueMarsalis79

Highland

I would make a movie worse than Requiem if I drunk too much red wine.

Double IPAs though, boom I'd be making Greybacks adventures.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed