Author
Prey Fan Reviews (Read 147,139 times)

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: overthere on Sep 01, 2022, 05:09:03 PM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Sep 01, 2022, 04:56:45 PM
Quote from: overthere on Sep 01, 2022, 04:45:11 PM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 01, 2022, 12:30:32 AM
Quote from: Preddie-nokas on Aug 30, 2022, 08:23:09 PMNaru is same all the time, no emotions, no character growth, empty shell.

She's definitely not the same at the end of the movie.

At the beginning
https://i.ibb.co/jfHFxgX/Pics-Art-08-31-08-17-25.jpg
At the end
https://i.ibb.co/h8SpxV9/Pics-Art-08-31-08-18-06.jpg

Completely unrelated pictures.

We can't point out that Naru changes like Dutch did a few posts back? This is in relation to that. It paints it quite clearly too. Very selective in what is allowed and what isn't. Very.

They tell Naru "he killed your whole clan" and she is all smug about it "no, he didn't kill everyone" like saying "f**k my clan, they don't matter"

I don't see her changing at the end. People changed their opinion on her, but she's the same.

That's not how I read it. She was pissed at being captured by some assholes. So she was an asshole back and didn't want to give them what she knew, why would they deserve it if they put her in a box? I wouldn't give that info is someone put me in a position like that.

I'm just curious if people here aren't able to read emotions? She clearly after each person dies around her shows a "oh shit holy f**k" face. After the bear. After the log scene she has rage in her eyes before running to the field. She has a full mental breakdown when Taabe dies, and we see her mother do the same.

That rage of loss of a love one will change you. Will even hide your emotions. Not to make it too personal, but when I lost my mother to cancer in 2016 I became a very emotionless shell of myself. Mean, but emotionless in my expressions. She reminded me of my emotions when setting up the trap for Feral at the end while talking to the kidnapped trapper.

To say she wasn't showing anything is naively false and I think those who say this really need to watch the movie again and pay attention to the characters. And I'd even say ignore gender to some too.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: overthere on Sep 01, 2022, 05:09:03 PMThey tell Naru "he killed your whole clan" and she is all smug about it "no, he didn't kill everyone" like saying "f**k my clan, they don't matter"

How is that your takeaway of that line? It's pretty clear that it's meant to point out how it excludes her from the clan in both a way that comments on how nobody takes her seriously or perceives her as a threat. I also took it as a reassuring statement to herself and begrudging statement towards the Predator. Both relieved that she survived, and like saying "that bastard didn't get me, but I will make sure I get him".

Quote from: overthere on Sep 01, 2022, 05:09:03 PMI don't see her changing at the end. People changed their opinion on her, but she's the same.

Idk how you can see her go from failing to kill a deer and a lion, to killing a full blown Predator to avenge her brother and clan, and say that she hadn't changed. I can see how your argument is maybe based in that she always had confidence in herself and her abilities both at the beginning and end of the film. But actually expanding and using those abilities to overcome obstacles over the course of the story IS part of character growth.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Sep 01, 2022, 05:22:50 PMI can see how your argument is maybe based in that she always had confidence in herself and her abilities both at the beginning and end of the film. But actually expanding and using those abilities to overcome obstacles over the course of the story IS part of character growth.

Reminds me of some confident characters that are constantly pushed back against even if they know the greater truth. Characters like Ripley, or Sarah Conner come to mind immediately. Especially in ALIENS and T2. Even with fear; they still run at the danger when put in the right situation. They took charge. Like Naru did. "If they can't see it, show them."

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Sep 01, 2022, 05:32:30 PM
Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Sep 01, 2022, 05:22:50 PMI can see how your argument is maybe based in that she always had confidence in herself and her abilities both at the beginning and end of the film. But actually expanding and using those abilities to overcome obstacles over the course of the story IS part of character growth.

Reminds me of some confident characters that are constantly pushed back against even if they know the greater truth. Characters like Ripley, or Sarah Conner come to mind immediately. Especially in ALIENS and T2. Even with fear; they still run at the danger when put in the right situation. They took charge. Like Naru did. "If they can't see it, show them."

Totally! Great point and examples.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Sep 01, 2022, 05:32:30 PM

On subsequent viewings that line makes me downright emotional honestly, and the score that follows it. The only other film in either franchise to do that's Alien³ frankly.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Sep 01, 2022, 05:22:50 PMIt's pretty clear that it's meant to point out how it excludes her from the clan in both a way that comments on how nobody takes her seriously or perceives her as a threat.

Exactly, and she had to make a point about it. That's being petty.
She needs everyone to know she's worthy and just as capable, even when locked in a cage after a monster killed members of her tribe. She's obviously not phased enough if she still insists on those things.

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on Sep 01, 2022, 05:19:36 PMI'm just curious if people here aren't able to read emotions? She clearly after each person dies around her shows a "oh shit holy f**k" face. After the bear. After the log scene she has rage in her eyes before running to the field. She has a full mental breakdown when Taabe dies, and we see her mother do the same.

To say she wasn't showing anything is naively false and I think those who say this really need to watch the movie again and pay attention to the characters. And I'd even say ignore gender to some too.

She does have a "holy shit" face, but not in a sense of "holy shit John died", it's more like "holy shit this is crazy"

Soon after she no longer thinks about it. You can say she's hiding emotion based on your own personal experience, but I don't think this movie is that deep. I think she doesn't give a damn about any of her fellow tribesmen, except her brother.
But even with him she's jealous he's the one who killed the lion and stuff like that.

And her mother just slapped the carpet a bit. It's all a quick scene of what an emotional reaction should be, but it doesn't leave a lasting impression. It's like a dog being pissed at a cat, but as soon as its out of sight, he carries on as if nothing pissed him off a moment ago.

SiL

SiL

She's also referring to Taabe when she says not everyone.

What do you wanted her to say?

"It killed your whole clan"
"Yes you're totally right I am now completely alone and defenceless; nobody can possibly come to save me and I am at your mercy."

That's moronic.

Cosmic Incubation

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: overthere on Sep 01, 2022, 08:35:43 PM
Quote from: Cosmic Incubation on Sep 01, 2022, 05:22:50 PMIt's pretty clear that it's meant to point out how it excludes her from the clan in both a way that comments on how nobody takes her seriously or perceives her as a threat.

Exactly, and she had to make a point about it. That's being petty.
She needs everyone to know she's worthy and just as capable, even when locked in a cage after a monster killed members of her tribe. She's obviously not phased enough if she still insists on those things.

I mean I guess that's your interpretation, but it seems pretty cynical. I don't think she's the boastful character that has to announce things to everyone that you seem to think she is. She's not trying to be like "look at me everyone! I survived!". Again, it seems more like a personal assurance to herself rather than her trying to make some type of statement to everyone.

Quote from: overthere on Sep 01, 2022, 08:35:43 PMSoon after she no longer thinks about it. You can say she's hiding emotion based on your own personal experience, but I don't think this movie is that deep. I think she doesn't give a damn about any of her fellow tribesmen, except her brother.
But even with him she's jealous he's the one who killed the lion and stuff like that.

And her mother just slapped the carpet a bit. It's all a quick scene of what an emotional reaction should be, but it doesn't leave a lasting impression. It's like a dog being pissed at a cat, but as soon as its out of sight, he carries on as if nothing pissed him off a moment ago.

I don't think she was jealous in a way where she had any resentment towards her brother about the lion. She seemed disappointed in herself if anything, and she didn't even focus on the lion at all after he got made warchief. She went straight to "there's still something out there that we need to handle".

"Her mother just slapped the carpet a bit" seems like a major downplay of that scene. It's hard for me, and friends I know who've watched it, to not get choked up during that scene. I think it's a pretty heart wrenching scene and has a lot of weight to it. It shows a mother who's grieving for her child, but can't just stop and not do her responsibilities that she has to her tribe in this unfair and demanding world. It seemed very grounded and real to me, in that a lot of the time when people are grieving, the world doesn't care and they still have to just grit and carry on with their responsibilities, whether because they HAVE to, or to just try and help keep their mind off the pain. I've personally dealt with that in my life in this modern age, and I'm sure it was even more common back then when life was much harder.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: SiL on Sep 01, 2022, 08:44:34 PMShe's also referring to Taabe when she says not everyone.

"Yes you're totally right I am now completely alone and defenceless; nobody can possibly come to save me and I am at your mercy."

That's moronic.

She could have not said anything

DaddyYautja

DaddyYautja

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Sep 01, 2022, 03:52:49 PMTaabe is just that good at dodging arrows? I mean they are Comanche, a tribe of warriors that get into warfare with other tribes, this is not surprising one bit that he can do that. Also he was the one that disrupted Feral's aiming at Sarii at the last moment.

It's surprising that this top hunter keeps missing with the same weapon and never adjusts. How many times does he needs to shoot to learn he can't use the gun without the helmet? why doesn't he knows this from the start?

Quote"Shows up and starts killing things" Every single Predator movie ever....... I mean they showed Feral doing stalking and tracking, which other films don't go into that much. Feral observing blood trails, footprints, and other signs of prey. Come on, the more I read your post, the more I think you are purposely ignoring parts of the film to complain.

I think you are purposely ignoring parts of the post to complain. This Pred is not part of the main plot. The story of this movie is just a girl following her dream.

In Pred 1 the pred kills the first team causing the movie to happen. Because of the pred Dutchs team get drawn into the situation.

In 2 the pred decides to get in the middle of a gang war which means the main characters have to get involve which leads to the movie happening.

In Preds the preds pick people up and drop them somewhere else for other preds to hunt. They are the cause of the whole movie.

In The Pred two preds are fighting causing a crash which has people looking into this leading to the rest of the movie.

In Prey the pred is just randomly killing things for half of the movie not doing anything involving the plot until the main character finally goes after him which then FINALLY has the pred take notice. The movie doesn't happen because of the pred the movie happens because of the main character. Again, the first pred movie where the pred isn't spark that leads to the rest of the events. 

QuoteStronger than him in smarts?

No stronger than him in strength. She overpowers him several times. When the pred had her by the neck and she pushes herself to the rocks, when she uses the spear and pushes his shield arm so far back he cuts his other arm, and when she pulls him into the mud. It's crazy.

QuoteThat's Feral's downfall, the flaw of the monster like in any creature film is to exploit weaknesses and turn it against them. He's a strong, agile, fast, and highly skilled brute with advanced technology thinking that he can steamroll everyone but learns the hard way that's just something you can't do with everything.

This Preds weakness is that he constantly walks into traps even when he knows they are there, his thermal vision randomly works, he can't use his weapons, this is the worst showing of a pred in film. It's hardly exploiting when there are so many.

QuotePredators just can't be copy and paste versions of the last Predator, gotta be interesting and unique to have something fresh going on and this Predator really stands out in that department. Less bulkier then the Predator trio from AVP, but just as strong. A young blood like CH but more brutal and ferocious. It's an interesting dynamic compared to his opposite Naru who is a level headed and calculating upcoming hunter who is adapting to every situation she is in. The blue to the red, light and shadow. I mean for cripes sake, Feral's coloring is red/black and Naru's outfit color is tan/blue, its super obvious to what they were doing here.

I'll give you unique but it sure as hell not interesting. Who wants to see a movie about a dumb predator? They are supposed to be high level hunters, who wants to see a pred get constantly beat up by the main characters when his not doing dumb stuff?

QuoteThose four warriors didn't head her warning so it's their fault, not her's.

They are there because of her, they went to go pick her up because of her nonsense. The pred is drawn to them because of her, he took an interest in her and started tracking her. This is her fault on every level, she created this situation.

QuoteHer brother purposely gave his life for her to finish the job, knowing full well that he trusts that she can kill it.

Why? he was kicking the Preds butt so hard the pred had to regroup? why does he suddenly give up? He just stopped.

QuoteAction films with male leads have similar tropes of the female love interest either in the beginning of the film or in the middle, to be dead or be killed to give the male character more motivation to do something. This is just the gender swapped version and it makes sense giving to the fact that he's giving her time to escape and find a way to kill it, as any brave warrior/sibling would do for a loved family member.

Just more excuses to purposely hate the film I see.

The problem with this is that she wanted the pred for the second she saw his track. She wants the pred so bad that she annoyed her brother and mother and decided to go hunting alone. I don't think the brother dying change anything in the story. Plus the brother was kicking the Preds ass so it's not like the pred did this to mock the main character.

Quote from: SiL on Sep 01, 2022, 08:44:34 PMShe's also referring to Taabe when she says not everyone.

That's moronic.

Wait... You think is smart to reveal that there is some one else that can get more people to save her? To tell her captors to go out and look for more people?

Im sorry but no, that's not smart at all.

PAS Spinelli

PAS Spinelli

There's lots of willful ignorance going on when it comes to certain "criticisms" of the movie

Master

Master

Finally! Some good 'ol AvP discussion! Thing is Naru is abit bratty and jealous but on the other hand she's brave and likable. I'm not convinced in the way final battle was portrayed and think whole setup was too contrived. Presonaly I'd love if Predator  just drowned in the swamp. Pure and simple way to show why sometimes it's better to be light and agile instead of heavy brute Fearl is.

Mike’s Monsters

Mike’s Monsters

My new favorite is now that people need to grieve a certain way. Try being told someone you love dies while you are part of a system that won't work well if you need to take the time to grieve. Her mother smacking the hide after Taabe's news is very relatable having been on productions when finding out I've lost a loved one. No time to stop or else the show won't go on, so you have to suck it up and cry later. God damn, I didn't know people had to emote in exact ways for people to realize what's going on.

Imagine if someone told you in your darkest hour in real life that you're emotions are the wrong kind and you should be sadder, angrier, or you're showing too much. That's what it feels like I'm reading here. Being told to emote a certain way is such a weird take.

exorcissy72

exorcissy72

Quote from: overthere on Sep 01, 2022, 05:09:03 PMThey tell Naru "he killed your whole clan" and she is all smug about it "no, he didn't kill everyone" like saying "f**k my clan, they don't matter"

That's not at all how she's saying it. She's trying to play a game of intimidation with the French trappers she's saying "not everyone" implying there's more of her tribe out there and referring to herself and Taabe -- she of course didn't know that they had captured Taabe at the same time.

QuoteI don't see her changing at the end. People changed their opinion on her, but she's the same.

She definitely changes. At the start of the story she thinks kuhtaamia is all about proving herself, by the end of the film she's learned that it's really about protecting the tribe and her people. She kills Feral and tells her people it's time to leave.

overthere

overthere

Quote from: exorcissy72 on Sep 01, 2022, 10:19:00 PM

That's not at all how she's saying it. She's trying to play a game of intimidation with the French trappers she's saying "not everyone" implying there's more of her tribe out there and referring to herself and Taabe -- she of course didn't know that they had captured Taabe at the same time.

QuoteI don't see her changing at the end. People changed their opinion on her, but she's the same.

She definitely changes. At the start of the story she thinks kuhtaamia is all about proving herself, by the end of the film she's learned that it's really about protecting the tribe and her people. She kills Feral and tells her people it's time to leave.

meh

I mean, I think the movie is ok, I'm not nitpicking things to hate on it.
I'm ok with Naru, my main beef is with the Predator not really showing characteristics that I like in my Predators.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed