Aliens Expanded - A New Aliens Documentary Announced

Started by Darkness, Apr 26, 2022, 08:03:14 PM

Author
Aliens Expanded - A New Aliens Documentary Announced (Read 41,264 times)

Local Trouble

If they're going to spend four hours gushing, I hope they spare a few minutes roasting everything that came afterward.

SiL

Their Facebook marketing damn near trashed everything that came before, too.

Local Trouble

I mean the movies.  They trashed Alien??

xShadowFoxX

They trashed Alien?! Somebody, get a lawsuit running.

SiL

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 13, 2024, 09:28:02 PMI mean the movies.  They trashed Alien??
I know what you meant. They were saying Aliens was unquestionably the bestest most influential thing to come out of the franchise.

I also said "damn near" - they did not go so far as to actually trash Alien.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on May 13, 2024, 09:31:27 PMI also said "damn near" - they did not go so far as to actually trash Alien.

That's close enough though. >:(

cornbread

cornbread

Oh well, I must say that was a classy response from Hicks. I think I'll stick to this site for my Alien and Predator revelations and I can't wait to read all the wonderful speculations about Romulus when the trailer drops. It's the highly knowledgeable fan comments that make this site what it is and long may that continue. Who could forget this site broke the news about the Weyland TED talk with the leaked 3D graphic storyboards. I remember the discussions of if they were legit, etc. It shows how well connected everyone here is and it's a shame the documentary makers didn't embrace this strength that this site has built up for over a decade.

SiL

I concur

xShadowFoxX

xShadowFoxX

In all seriousness, the only other documentary that I'm aware of that cost a buttload for a while, that sounds vaguely similar to what the pitch for A:E is,  is Lovecraft: Fear of the Unkown (great documentary, people should watch it on Prime) and that kind of went into a deep dive into some of those topics as well as discussing the stories, themes and part of the impact in less than two hours. That Blu-Ray/DVD cost up to between $100-$200 and that was because the physical media for it was out of print for a while, and that documentary cost about $20 when it was released. Now i'ts free on Prime, Tubi, Youtube. Honestly, Aliens: Expanded sounds like it won't be too dissimilar to previous In Search Of documentaries, so the pricing still remains nonsensical, especially for a glorified fan production, regardless of the quality.

Granted, Lovecraft: Fear of the Uknown has been out for more than a decade.

SM

Yeah I'm sure they sell to a stream provider at some point in the not to distant future. At least to rent.

Kradan

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on May 13, 2024, 08:18:27 PMI'm sure I've probably said this before, but it's likely buried. When I met with Robin Block, the first thing I asked him was how it was going to be going to be different to Rinzler's book or what Charles had done, and he pitched me a documentary that was more than just retelling those same old stories, it would explore the impact of the film - on us as fans, on cinema and culture, on the franchise. I invited him and Ian on our podcast to put that across to our audience as well.

I'm certainly disappointed to hear the True Fan card was played by Robin in response to criticism around the pricing, but I'm led to believe this pricing isn't too dissimilar to a lot of fan produced documentaries. I don't know how true that is, but I'm wasn't too fussed about the cost. I made the decision that I was happy to spend the money and support the production. I purchased the t-shirt level pledge when the initial round of crowdfunding went up.

No, I was not invited to participate on the documentary itself, despite being a guest on their first vidcast. I did reach out to offer my participation upon learning that Jamie Prater had been interviewed for the documentary but received no response. I offered again when learning about the pushback after they'd filmed more interviews, but it was politely declined. I don't know if I didn't impress during my appearance on their podcast, but I was understandably disappointed to not participate. Not so much as to write off the documentary, though. I'm still very much looking forward to it.

As stated, I was on the fan council, though perhaps I didn't participate enough to stand out. I did miss out on the chances to watch an early cut of the documentary due to how overwhelmed I have been this decade (that depresses me to say) and didn't have the time to sit down and watch and review it. I did, however, suggest and connect the production with Mark Verheiden (and possibly some other cast, I can't really remember at this moment).

If that's not being diplomatic, I don't know what is

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on May 13, 2024, 10:38:26 PMYeah I'm sure they sell to a stream provider at some point in the not to distant future. At least to rent.

Will you watch it then?

xShadowFoxX

I'm patient enough to wait until it's free on prime like the other docs. Probably won't miss much anyway by doing so.

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 14, 2024, 06:33:33 AM
Quote from: SM on May 13, 2024, 10:38:26 PMYeah I'm sure they sell to a stream provider at some point in the not to distant future. At least to rent.

Will you watch it then?

Not to rent, no.  Like Shadowfox said - when it's free, probably.

Any major revelations will be out on Youtube before that anyway.

Xenomrph

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on May 14, 2024, 06:41:34 AMI'm patient enough to wait until it's free on prime like the other docs. Probably won't miss much anyway by doing so.
According to Robin Block, that's never going to happen.

I mean, assuming he's not full of shit.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed