Aliens Expanded - A New Aliens Documentary Announced

Started by Darkness, Apr 26, 2022, 08:03:14 PM

Author
Aliens Expanded - A New Aliens Documentary Announced (Read 44,928 times)

The Cruentus

Quote from: xShadowFoxX on May 12, 2024, 01:53:20 AM
Quote from: Mike's Monsters on May 11, 2024, 04:41:14 PM
Quote from: wheresthecornbread on May 11, 2024, 08:31:15 AMHi, I look in to AVP occasionally, great site btw, and wanted to know if Corporal Hicks or anyone else here is participating in this documentary? Thanks

Unfortunately, our buddies here at AvPG aren't going to be IN the documentary. For some reason they were not asked, but some other, not as long running fan accounts will be in the documentary.

Hicks is on the fan council though, that helped consult the content that will be in the documentary. Not sure why he wasn't asked to be on the actual production though. But then, the fan council thing has some eyebrow raising choices. This instagram account is on that council as well, which likely might only be the case because they have a couple thousand followers. Maybe they're more of a true fan than others, but I honestly couldn't tell you why.

You mean to tell me that an entity known as Alien Theory gets to be featured in this documentary, while our long-standing AvPG hosts are left out?

It is sad that plagiarists get rewarded for their crimes. If anyone is able to contact those folks, they should let them know that AT is a scumbag thief.

SiL

I don't think they give a shit.

Scott Conover

I struggle to believe anyone who's seen the legendary 2003 documentaries will gain anything of value from this. I expect mediocre interviews and youtube BTS featurette level atmosphere. I don't think the director has a a single tangible thing to his name? And the sentiment and attitude they have shown the True Fans™ is gross imo. If having Alien Theory involved ins't a red flag I don't know what is. It's what we call a Shake'N Bake Documentary.

SiL

They've produced some fairly popular documentaries over the past few years.

Scott Conover

Scott Conover

Quote from: SiL on May 12, 2024, 11:51:31 AMThey've produced some fairly popular documentaries over the past few years.
True they have one producer credit on their imdb it turns out. But still nothing tangible enough to give me confidence in their ability to pull this off.

wheresthecornbread

wheresthecornbread

That's what I don't get. Think of what would have happened if they had cared and got the whole weight of this site's community behind the project ...

xShadowFoxX

In Search Of.. docs, right? I immensely enjoyed their In Search of Darkness documentaries. I've yet to watch In Search of Tomorrow.

SM

In Search Of... peaked with Leonard Nimoy.

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Scott Conover on May 12, 2024, 11:49:54 AMI struggle to believe anyone who's seen the legendary 2003 documentaries will gain anything of value from this.

I beg to differ on this. In one of AVPGalaxy podcasts. Tom Woodruff Jr and Alec Gillis admitted to making up things about David Fincher during A3. They said this was the first time that they confessed to this. So new things can come out. (If I'm miss remembering this please correct me)

* * * * *  on your quote.  8)

Mike’s Monsters

From what I'm hearing, it's not much new info, if any at all. Just a collection of info you can get from old magazine articles and the 2003 documentary. It's a longer, more glorified version of that Netflix series The Movies That Made Us.

Elmazalman

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on May 12, 2024, 11:34:40 PMI beg to differ on this. In one of AVPGalaxy podcasts. Tom Woodruff Jr and Alec Gillis admitted to making up things about David Fincher during A3. They said this was the first time that they confessed to this. So new things can come out. (If I'm miss remembering this please correct me)

If they lied once ...

xShadowFoxX

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on May 12, 2024, 11:34:40 PM
Quote from: Scott Conover on May 12, 2024, 11:49:54 AMI struggle to believe anyone who's seen the legendary 2003 documentaries will gain anything of value from this.

I beg to differ on this. In one of AVPGalaxy podcasts. Tom Woodruff Jr and Alec Gillis admitted to making up things about David Fincher during A3. They said this was the first time that they confessed to this. So new things can come out. (If I'm miss remembering this please correct me)

* * * * *  on your quote.  8)
If that's the case, then anything they say in the new documentary is gonna be taken with a grain of salt. But you know what? Filmmakers and actors remember things differently and, over time, change their story. So that's nothing new to me

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I'm sure I've probably said this before, but it's likely buried. When I met with Robin Block, the first thing I asked him was how it was going to be going to be different to Rinzler's book or what Charles had done, and he pitched me a documentary that was more than just retelling those same old stories, it would explore the impact of the film - on us as fans, on cinema and culture, on the franchise. I invited him and Ian on our podcast to put that across to our audience as well.

I'm certainly disappointed to hear the True Fan card was played by Robin in response to criticism around the pricing, but I'm led to believe this pricing isn't too dissimilar to a lot of fan produced documentaries. I don't know how true that is, but I'm wasn't too fussed about the cost. I made the decision that I was happy to spend the money and support the production. I purchased the t-shirt level pledge when the initial round of crowdfunding went up.

No, I was not invited to participate on the documentary itself, despite being a guest on their first vidcast. I did reach out to offer my participation upon learning that Jamie Prater had been interviewed for the documentary but received no response. I offered again when learning about the pushback after they'd filmed more interviews, but it was politely declined. I don't know if I didn't impress during my appearance on their podcast, but I was understandably disappointed to not participate. Not so much as to write off the documentary, though. I'm still very much looking forward to it.

As stated, I was on the fan council, though perhaps I didn't participate enough to stand out. I did miss out on the chances to watch an early cut of the documentary due to how overwhelmed I have been this decade (that depresses me to say) and didn't have the time to sit down and watch and review it. I did, however, suggest and connect the production with Mark Verheiden (and possibly some other cast, I can't really remember at this moment).

Quote from: Mike's Monsters on May 11, 2024, 04:41:14 PMHicks is on the fan council though, that helped consult the content that will be in the documentary. Not sure why he wasn't asked to be on the actual production though. But then, the fan council thing has some eyebrow raising choices. This instagram account is on that council as well, which likely might only be the case because they have a couple thousand followers. Maybe they're more of a true fan than others, but I honestly couldn't tell you why.

That's run by the same people who also run the USS Sulaco group on Facebook, one of the largest groups on the platform.

Quote from: Scott Conover on May 12, 2024, 11:49:54 AMI don't think the director has a a single tangible thing to his name?

The director is a well regarded editor of Empire magazine and has literally written books on Ridley Scott, James Cameron and Alien. Ian's involvement was another thing that attracted me to the production.

SiL

Everything I learn about this makes me somehow less interested.

SM

It's going to be a gush fest.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed