Why did the folk of Hadley’s Hope not send a signal?

Started by St_Eddie, Mar 08, 2022, 08:36:14 AM

Author
Why did the folk of Hadley’s Hope not send a signal? (Read 18,379 times)

SiL

Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 28, 2024, 10:30:05 AMAt least you're acknowledging that it's wildly unrealistic, I'm not sure SM has even taken that first step.
What does it possibly matter if he does or doesn't? It's such a non issue.

SM

And has been ever thus.

426Buddy

Yeah I don't have an issue with it. Its as unreal as ships having gravity or their FTL speeds.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SiL on Jan 28, 2024, 10:33:19 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Jan 28, 2024, 10:30:05 AMAt least you're acknowledging that it's wildly unrealistic, I'm not sure SM has even taken that first step.

I suspect it became an issue as a byproduct of the argument over the derelict's distance from the colony and its destruction.

oduodu

how far would 30 AP stations be spaced on a planet with an  equatorial circumference of 1200km.?

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

ChatGPT says this:

QuotePlacing 30 atmosphere processors evenly over the entire surface of a spherical planetoid like LV-426, which has a diameter of 1200 kilometers, is a complex geometric problem. This type of distribution can be approximated using concepts similar to those used in distributing points on a sphere, such as the vertices of a geodesic dome or the arrangement of electrons in a fullerene molecule.

However, providing an exact distance between each processor in such an arrangement is not straightforward due to the curvature of the sphere and the complexity of evenly distributing points on a sphere. In general, the goal would be to space the processors as uniformly as possible to ensure even coverage.

To get an approximate idea of the average distance between each processor:

1. Calculate the Surface Area of LV-426: First, we find the surface area of the planetoid.

2. Divide the Surface Area by the Number of Processors: This gives us an approximate area that each processor is responsible for.

3. Estimate the Average Distance: We can then estimate the average distance between processors by assuming each processor's area is roughly circular and calculating the radius of such a circle.

Let's perform these calculations.

If the 30 atmosphere processors were distributed evenly over the entire surface of LV-426, which has a diameter of 1200 kilometers, the approximate average distance between each processor would be around 438.18 kilometers. This estimate is based on the assumption that each processor's coverage area is roughly circular, and it represents the diameter of such an area.

Keep in mind that this is a simplification, as evenly distributing points over a sphere doesn't result in uniform distances between all points, but it provides a general idea of the spacing you might expect in such a scenario.

oduodu

Local Trouble

So are we all in agreement now?

Acid_Reign161

Just curious; why was LV-426's size ever an issue of debate? (I know the CMTM attempted a retcon, though I'm not sure why). Aside from the fact that the movie acknowledges that it's a planetoid (thus too small to be a planet) that it's tiny, and we see it has a pretty fast rotation / day& night cycle,  at 1200kms it's still bigger than both our moon and Pluto. Sure, that's small compared with Earth, but picture a colony the size of Hadley's Hope on our moon; it's still a relatively large surface area to someone living there. Am I missing something here? 😅

SiL

The diameter of the moon is 3,478km. Pluto is 2,376.

It also has gravity 86% as strong as earth's, which is crazy high for something so small.

Acid_Reign161

Acid_Reign161

Quote from: SiL on Jan 28, 2024, 07:57:51 PMThe diameter of the moon is 3,478km. Pluto is 2,376.

It also has gravity 86% as strong as earth's, which is crazy high for something so small.

Ahh, it's going by diameter? (I was going by the equatorial circumference of the Moon being 10,916 km) 😅 ***EDIT; hold on, ignore me! brain fart moment; I just re-read what I wrote and noticed my complete and utter f**k up 🤣🤣🤣🤣 - damn you sneaky extra digit!! *shakes fist***

Agreed, the gravity is one of those movie-logic moments that makes little sense, however beyond mass, another factor that could affect gravity on the planetoid would be energy (I wouldn't even pretend to be knowledgable about Astro-physics, but is there any reason proximity to Calpamos / speed of orbit could be a movie-magic / pseudoscience factor to consider?)

I'd truly never given LV-426's size much thought until reading this thread in honesty... I was more concerned that the planetoid at some point is surveyed and deemed suitable for terraforming /colonising, yet in over 300 surveyed worlds, nobody seems to notice its neighbouring moon LV-223 is already perfectly terraformed right next door.🤣

Local Trouble

ChatGPT has more to say:

QuoteFor a planetoid like LV-426, which is described as being 1200 kilometers in diameter but having a surface gravity of 0.86 g (where 1 g is Earth's gravity), to scientifically possess such high gravity, it would require some unique and extreme conditions. Here are a few scientifically plausible scenarios:

1. Extremely Dense Core: The planetoid could have an unusually dense core. This would mean a significant portion of its mass is concentrated in a dense material, like a heavy metal or even denser elements. For instance, a core composed primarily of a dense metal like osmium or iridium could potentially account for the high gravity.

2. Presence of Exotic Matter: If LV-426 contained a significant amount of exotic matter or substances with properties beyond our current understanding of physics (like matter with extremely high mass-energy density), this could theoretically account for the high gravity. However, the existence of such materials is purely speculative and not currently supported by empirical evidence.

3. Artificial Alteration: In a science fiction context, the planetoid's gravity could be artificially enhanced through advanced technology. This could involve technology capable of increasing the density of matter or manipulating gravitational forces directly, though such technology is purely hypothetical and beyond our current scientific capabilities.

4. Compact Stellar Remnant Material: If the planetoid is composed in part of material from a compact stellar remnant (like a neutron star), it could have extremely high density and therefore high gravity. However, the feasibility of such a body not collapsing into a more compact form under its own gravity would be questionable.

5. Unusual Formation History: LV-426 could have an anomalous formation history, where it accreted or captured extremely dense materials that are not typically found in significant quantities on planetoids of its size.

Each of these scenarios, while theoretically possible in a broad sense, would be extraordinary and highly unusual by current astronomical standards. The scenarios involving exotic matter, artificial alteration, or compact stellar remnant materials venture into the realm of speculative science and science fiction, rather than established scientific fact.

SiL

SiL

Alien is very much a product of older sci fi where veracity was never allowed to stand in the way of a good story. You throw just enough technobabble in to make it seem legitimate and then you do whatever you want.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 28, 2024, 08:35:42 PMChatGPT has more to say:

3. Artificial Alteration: In a science fiction context, the planetoid's gravity could be artificially enhanced through advanced technology. This could involve technology capable of increasing the density of matter or manipulating gravitational forces directly, though such technology is purely hypothetical and beyond our current scientific capabilities.

Mala'kak Empire! :o

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 28, 2024, 05:18:56 PM
Quote from: SiL on Jan 28, 2024, 10:33:19 AM

I suspect it became an issue as a byproduct of the argument over the derelict's distance from the colony and its destruction.
Nah, not at all.

The Derelict was "beyond a mountain range", the size or distance of the mountains doesn't matter, the CMTM says it survived. Very simple.

Quote from: Acid_Reign161 on Jan 28, 2024, 08:25:15 PMI'd truly never given LV-426's size much thought until reading this thread in honesty... I was more concerned that the planetoid at some point is surveyed and deemed suitable for terraforming /colonising, yet in over 300 surveyed worlds, nobody seems to notice its neighbouring moon LV-223 is already perfectly terraformed right next door.🤣
I always felt that was one of the dumber retcons.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed