Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film!

Started by MudButt, Mar 04, 2022, 10:06:48 PM

Author
Fede Alvarez working on new Alien film! (Read 67,726 times)

Prez

Smaller, more personal stories. We've seen some great ones in the old Dark Horse EU.
And whilst we'd all love the big budget theatrical spectacle I'm intrigued where this goes.

No black goo. No engineers. No Androids. No flutes or fingering. Just give us a classic haunted house and unstoppable monster movie again.

Nightmare Asylum

I don't think it gets more classic haunted house than Dr. Moreau's Dr. Frankenstein's David's Gothic mansion. ;)

Darkness

Unexpected news but at least they're doing something with the franchise at last.

I actually really liked Don't Breathe. Stephen Lang was really good as the blind guy. It does get really weird towards the end though when you find out what his intentions are.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: 426Buddy on Mar 06, 2022, 12:20:42 PM
I'm gutted that Hicks doesn't like the Evil Dead series or Sam Raimi 😆

He's known to have the opposite of good taste regarding the Spider-Man franchise so that's unsurprising.

Kailem

Hicks hates the Evil Dead films?! Is that even legal?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kailem on Mar 06, 2022, 02:43:52 PM
Hicks hates the Evil Dead films?! Is that even legal?

Damn that free country of his!

Nightmare Asylum

To Alvarez's credit, while he's no Raimi, I do think he had a good handle on Evil Dead for the most part, what with the dark, over-the-top gore meets Three Stooges antics of it all. At one point in his remake a character cuts her own cheek off, and then her brother slips on the severed off piece of her cheek and smacks his head against a toilet. If that it's Evil Dead then I don't know what is.

I still outright hateeeeeeee Don't Breathe, though. And I don't think Alvarez's effective handling of Evil Dead really bodes one way or the other for his Alien project.

I guess maybe, using his previous works as a point of reference here, he might be going for something a bit more trashy/grindhousey than previous Alien efforts have really been? Like Covenant's shower scene, spread across the duration of a film?

Miguel

I hope this is the start of a new batch of movies, even if they are not connected to the original tetralogy or the prequels (although I would love to see the third prequel that connects to the original movie).

St_Eddie

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 06, 2022, 02:50:13 PM
I guess maybe, using his previous works as a point of reference here, he might be going for something a bit more trashy/grindhousey than previous Alien efforts have really been? Like Covenant's shower scene, spread across the duration of a film?

So... AVP: Requiem?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: St_Eddie on Mar 06, 2022, 03:28:54 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 06, 2022, 02:50:13 PM

So... AVP: Requiem?

I would hope and think that it would be more competently made than that pile of shit but... yeah, a more streamlined, general slasher film (with some tense thriller elements) is definitely what springs to mind when I think Alvarez and his work. Really not sure how I feel about that approach for an Alien movie, but here we are I guess. Only time will tell.

RidgeTop

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 06, 2022, 11:51:01 AM
That new movie better come with a new toy, or that thumbnail will leave me severely disappointed!  ;D

Not going to be a regular thing outside of toy reviews and news dealing with the figures. Just wanted to try something other than the usual 2-3 production stills most other sites seem to use. But yeah as I discovered folks can still tell it's a toy and that wasn't what I was going for.

Quote from: Prez on Mar 06, 2022, 12:21:10 PM
Smaller, more personal stories. We've seen some great ones in the old Dark Horse EU.
And whilst we'd all love the big budget theatrical spectacle I'm intrigued where this goes.

No black goo. No engineers. No Androids. No flutes or fingering. Just give us a classic haunted house and unstoppable monster movie again.

For real.

Honestly really looking forward to this, and it's great that we have an upcoming feature film for both franchises sooner than I was expecting. I'd love to see something like the 40th Anniversary shorts concept but taken to a full feature. I think Alien could push back into horror more, and hopefully Alvarez will deliver.

Part of me does still want to see the prequel trilogy completed. Regardless of my personal feelings, I know they have their fans and they deserve a conclusion to David's story with a film that doesn't end on a cliffhanger.

Kimarhi

Not a fan of any of those other movies. 

Though Jane Levy is nice.  Maybe she'll be in this one. 

Eldritch_DM

Lol Not sure how I feel about this at the moment. These comments tho regarding this announcement is something else...

Prez

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 06, 2022, 10:13:54 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 06, 2022, 11:51:01 AM
That new movie better come with a new toy, or that thumbnail will leave me severely disappointed!  ;D

Not going to be a regular thing outside of toy reviews and news dealing with the figures. Just wanted to try something other than the usual 2-3 production stills most other sites seem to use. But yeah as I discovered folks can still tell it's a toy and that wasn't what I was going for.

Quote from: Prez on Mar 06, 2022, 12:21:10 PM

.... I'd love to see something like the 40th Anniversary shorts concept but taken to a full feature. I think Alien could push back into horror more, and hopefully Alvarez will deliver....

This is exactly what sprung to my mind too.

Voodoo Magic

That's what I was exactly saying two months ago, and then wam, bam, thank you ma'am Voodoo!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed