Why do some people prefer Alien over Aliens?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, May 03, 2020, 02:03:59 AM

Author
Why do some people prefer Alien over Aliens? (Read 37,206 times)

SM

JC's response has been available online to read for decades.

Shugsi

Quote from: SM on Nov 30, 2020, 11:22:02 PM
JC's response has been available online to read for decades.
And today I was enlightened and in turn a step closer to what I was wanting to find out.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: S1L on Nov 30, 2020, 11:13:03 PM
Quote from: SM on Nov 30, 2020, 09:24:27 PM
Alien Theory Reads Things Other People Have Written - EXPLAINED
Yes of course. But with this he showed the J.C response from 1987. Which was interesting because I was looking for why some people rejected Aliens at the time.Which I asked in a previous post.

JC did nothing wrong in my book with the egg-laying Queen. He did a sequel to Alien, not to a 1979 cut scene inserted in Ridley's less preferred Director's Cut almost 25 years later. And what a queen it was!  :o

Shugsi

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 30, 2020, 11:43:14 PM
Yes of course. But with this he showed the J.C response from 1987. Which was interesting because I was looking for why some people rejected Aliens at the time.Which I asked in a previous post.

JC did nothing wrong in my book with the egg-laying Queen. He did a sequel to Alien, not to a 1979 cut scene inserted in Ridley's less preferred Director's Cut almost 25 years later. And what a queen it was!  :o

https://64.media.tumblr.com/d105e799e538f996e4c1dc64904b0351/tumblr_n3y5jrIzSj1s2wio8o1_500.gif
Agreed. But I still wonder what the people who didn't like Aliens wanted. Did they even know what they wanted?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: S1L on Nov 30, 2020, 11:48:16 PM

https://64.media.tumblr.com/d105e799e538f996e4c1dc64904b0351/tumblr_n3y5jrIzSj1s2wio8o1_500.gif
Agreed. But I still wonder what the people who didn't like Aliens wanted. Did they even know what they wanted?

Some hardcore fans were aware of the deleted eggmorphing prior to Aliens.

SiL

It was a well documented scene. Anybody who read the novel or making of books or magazines that featured the movie would've known about it, not just hardcore fans. It was a popular movie that got spoken about a lot in genre circles.

But that's not the only reason some people didn't like the film on release. Many didn't like the switch to an action movie, for example.

SM

Nope.  And many still don't know what they want - only that they aren't getting it.  ;)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Dec 01, 2020, 12:13:19 AM
It was a well documented scene. Anybody who read the novel or making of books or magazines that featured the movie would've known about it, not just hardcore fans. It was a popular movie that got spoken about a lot in genre circles.

Gotta disagree. Hardcore scifi genre fans, sure. I'm with you. But general moviegoing public, naa. Like my father for instance. My father was a huge Alien fan and others and never picked up a Starlog Magazine or comic or novelization in his life which you had to seek out in those days.  He loved movies and television and that was that. It came easy to him. He never had that geek mentality that I have to learn about films and he just watched the Godfathers, the Aliens, the Star Treks, Blade Runner, Alfred Hitchcocks, etc like most general audiences and waited for the next one.  Again, this information had to be sought out. Back in those days, so many people got excited by trailers in movie theaters because they had no idea a new movie coming out. Ooh, there's another Alien coming? Wow, they did a sequel to Back to the Future? Audiences would go crazy in theaters back then. You just had to be there. :)

SiL

SiL

I never mentioned general public. I just said you didn't have to be a hardcore fan. Anyone interested in sci fi film had a good chance of knowing - aka the target market of the sequel. It wasn't rare, esoteric knowledge.

But the bigger point is that it wasn't most people's problems with the sequel if they had any.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SiL on Dec 01, 2020, 12:37:14 AM
I never mentioned general public. I just said you didn't have to be a hardcore fan. Anyone interested in sci fi film had a good chance of knowing - aka the target market of the sequel. It wasn't rare, esoteric knowledge.

Here in the US, I would definitely argue the egg morphing deleted scene was indeed esoteric in an age of no internet, libraries and encyclopedias required for research, and the majority of people watching television would get 6 or 7 channels total in the with their rabbit eared antennas and going to single screen theaters. The hardcore fans knew it, not many else.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Both my brothers and my dad were big sci-fi fans in the 80's and loved Alien. I told them about the eggmorphing scene after reading about it when I got the internet in 1996.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on Dec 01, 2020, 12:34:16 AM

Nope.  And many still don't know what they want - only that they aren't getting it.  ;)

I know exactly what I want, although admittedly some of it is more of what Cameron added to the setting.

SiL

Quote from: 426Buddy on Dec 01, 2020, 04:10:39 AM
Both my brothers and my dad were big sci-fi fans in the 80's and loved Alien. I told them about the eggmorphing scene after reading about it when I got the internet in 1996.
My dad wasn't a huge sci fi fan but likes reading and read the novel around the release of the film. Even not being a hardcore fan of either the film or sci fi, he got the information.

That was my entire point. It wasn't just "some hardcore fans" that knew. Although they definitely would've been the only ones who really gave a shit (my dad certainly didn't).

BlueMarsalis79

This actually the my Dad's cooler than your Dad discussion?

SiL

God no, just pointing out that the information was floating around enough even by 1986 that you didn't need to be knee-deep in Alien to have known about it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed