Question: Would Hicks have really wasted Burke?

Started by Prez, Nov 18, 2019, 12:40:08 PM

Author
Question: Would Hicks have really wasted Burke? (Read 7,799 times)

SM

Shaddup.  It's alright to say "crap".  It ain't against 1980s puritanical profanity standards.

Prez

Quote from: SM on Nov 20, 2019, 07:49:38 PM
Shaddup.  It's alright to say "crap".  It ain't against 1980s puritanical profanity standards.

That's me blowing out candles one by one ...

Ash 937

Pretty sadistic for Hicks to kill Burke like that if you ask me...I think its out of his character.  It would've been real sad if Cameron gave us a vision of Hicks wasting Burke in a scene reminiscent of Sonny's death in The Godfather.

Prez

Quote from: Ash 937 on Nov 26, 2019, 04:09:32 AM
Pretty sadistic for Hicks to kill Burke like that if you ask me...I think its out of his character.  It would've been real sad if Cameron gave us a vision of Hicks wasting Burke in a scene reminiscent of Sonny's death in The Godfather.

For me I agree. It does seem out of character for me too.

SM

Hicks would've shot him over leaving him for the Aliens.  If he left him for the Aliens, there's a chance he could get away and screw them again.

Huggs

I think Hicks was p*ssed off and trying to intimidate him. If he was going to kill him, he could've shot him right there in the chair. But he did the ol' shove em' against the wall thing.

Since the Aliens cut the power, there's no way to ever really know how things might've gone over the next minute or so. But I imagine Ripley would've put her foot down, and Burke would've been sequestered with an armed guard. And possibly sedated.

If he had left him for the Aliens, he would've been smart to leave him loose. Kick him out and weld the doors shut. A moving target might draw away some of the Aliens.

Prez

Quote from: Huggs on Nov 26, 2019, 05:30:19 AM
I think Hicks was p*ssed off and trying to intimidate him. If he was going to kill him, he could've shot him right there in the chair. But he did the ol' shove em' against the wall thing.

Since the Aliens cut the power, there's no way to ever really know how things might've gone over the next minute or so. But I imagine Ripley would've put her foot down, and Burke would've been sequestered with an armed guard. And possibly sedated.

If he had left him for the Aliens, he would've been smart to leave him loose. Kick him out and weld the doors shut. A moving target might draw away some of the Aliens.

Agreed on that.

[cancerblack]

Whut? Executing Burke at that point would be entirely pragmatic, not sadistic at all. If someone has explicitly made plans that involve killing you for their own profit, and you're in charge by military decree, shooting them in the back of their stupid head is if anything Morally Just, not sadism in any way.

Prez

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 26, 2019, 09:46:39 AM

Whut? Executing Burke at that point would be entirely pragmatic, not sadistic at all. If someone has explicitly made plans that involve killing you for their own profit, and you're in charge by military decree, shooting them in the back of their stupid head is if anything Morally Just, not sadism in any way.

Still don't think it would've been in Hick's character to do so. Like Huggs suggested most likely restrained him under guard (maybe rough him up a bit first).

[cancerblack]

You're right, Hicks didn't seem the type to actually perform a (legitimate) execution, but claiming such as "sadistic" is wildly inaccurate.

Kimo

I always thought Hicks would not just shoot him there and then. I always had the impression that Hicks would of used Burke as some sort of bait for the aliens, rather then shooting him on the spot. Something similar to making a prisoner of war, walk across a mind field to test the path for landmines ect. I like to imagine, Burke would of been forced to walk Infront at gunpoint to see if any Aliens were waiting to ambush them. The did have motion trackers, so it would of been useful to track Burke why he is forced to walk in front why the rest of the team hangs back to see if any other blobs starts to appear around Burke. Ya the motion trackers could of still done that job without using Burke. but by using Burke as bait, they could of triggered any aliens waiting in ambush a little earlier and give the marines a few more vital seconds to react when escaping operations. If they all made it out alive and Burke was unharmed I see 2 outcomes for him. He is either sent back to face charges or he if left behind on Lv426.

Prez

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 26, 2019, 10:16:53 AM
You're right, Hicks didn't seem the type to actually perform a (legitimate) execution, but claiming such as "sadistic" is wildly inaccurate.

I read that in a Bane voice  ;D ;D ;D

Ash 937

Quote from: Prez on Nov 26, 2019, 10:10:32 AM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 26, 2019, 09:46:39 AM

Still don't think it would've been in Hick's character to do so. Like Huggs suggested most likely restrained him under guard (maybe rough him up a bit first).

I think Vasquez woulda done it no problem if Hick's told her to take Burke out back and shoot him.  Woulda been cool to see her kick his head to the wall and shoot him...forshadowing the scene we got in the movie where she pins an alien with her foot and does the same thing.  Signature move.

razeak

Clearly not sadistic.

Also, the gravity if the situation might force someone to do something out of character. Burke isn't just a liability. He's a murderous (and child murder attempt to boot) threat.

Prez

Quote from: razeak on Nov 30, 2019, 05:07:39 AM
Clearly not sadistic.

Also, the gravity if the situation might force someone to do something out of character. Burke isn't just a liability. He's a murderous (and child murder attempt to boot) threat.

No Huggs it's paranoid delusion... it's pathetic even.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed