Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 03, 2019, 11:27:02 PM

Author
Disney & Fox Confirm Alien Series Remains In Development Under New Ownership! (Read 84,377 times)

[cancerblack]

I find them artistically stimulating in general, if not directly intellectually stimulating while watching. They're arty B-movies with big budgets and fun critters, at heart - to my mind.

Still Collating...

Don't know so much about the intellectual part, but they were certainly trying to be artistic and philosophical which I quite enjoyed, mostly cause the fans did the heavy lifting and found deeper meaning and metaphors that probably weren't there intentionally... They are so far from perfect, missed a lot of great opportunities, but I do appreciate what the prequels have brought to the table.

Corporal Hicks

https://www.thewrap.com/disney-fox-dark-phoenix-box-office-struggles/

Doesn't specifically mention Alien or Predator in here, but with the under-performance lately you can't help but worry a little bit, especially as neither are listed as one of Fox's "valuable" properties.

Voodoo Magic

Reducing the Fox film slate to "fewer films" isn't music to my ears.

The Old One

The Old One

I'm in-between, I enjoy a great deal of Prometheus but I'm also willing to admit it isn't really good as a film. And I enjoy a great deal of Covenant lingering on the cusp of being good, and it afforded the ability for my now favourite Alien story to exist as is.

And I definitely enjoy the discussion surrounding the prequel story.

Voodoo Magic

So continuing Alien may have been axed, as well as the Die Hard prequel I would assume. And Predator I imagine had nothing being currently developed to be axed.

• "Disney is also axing the majority of the existing Fox film development slate and refocusing output, after the studio posted a $170 million operating loss in Disney's fiscal third quarter.

"While many industry insiders have speculated about the long-term survival of Fox as a standalone content engine — as Marvel, Lucasfilm and Pixar exist under Disney and its top-earning film and animation shops — Iger said he's assigned his top film lieutenants Alan Horn and Alan Bergman to apply the same "discipline and creative standards" to the division now run by Emma Watts. This means tossing the majority of projects in development, Iger said, taking the label "in a new direction, with an all new development slate that will focus on a select group of properties."

"James Cameron's sequels to "Avatar" will proceed, as well as a continuation of the "Planet of the Apes" series (no new film in that series has been announced since the release of 2017's "War for the Planet of the Apes"). Iger also said indie label Fox Searchlight will continue on its current trajectory and also make movies for Disney Plus. Overall, Fox's film divisions will pare back the total number of releases, he said.

https://variety.com/2019/film/news/disney-fox-xmen-marvel-studio-losses-1203294296/

razeak

I'm just going to manage my expectations that a continuation of Covenant is not happening. I want to see the finale, but i can't be disappointed any more if I temper my expectations.  For all it's faults and a few things I disagree with being the best decision (xeno origin), I certainly found it to be interesting. The crazed AI has me hooked.

Samhain13

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Fiendishly InventiveI think for the foreseeable viability of the Alien franchise's future, Disney requests the status quo again, to return the franchise to it's popular beginning qualities.

Ridley Scott's a big name, but perhaps future involvement  is in a directing or producing capacity only, with someone else helming the real purpose of the ship;
The Alien re-established as ancient again, the extinct SJ race established as existing previously to the nearly extinct Engineer race and David's creator status being retconned, Final Prequel film- all whilist creating a soft-reboot amalgamation of the first three films.

I guarantee it.

Drukathi

Classic stories or new ways - eventually it's all about quality.

Evanus

Honestly I think they'll just go for a soft reboot. New ship, new crew, original alien. Nothing about the origins.

HuDaFuK

It's a little sad that I'm not even bothered that Ridley's prequel series might have been cancelled.

Local Trouble

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed