How is Predators (2010) any better than The Predator (2018)?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Feb 21, 2019, 02:24:41 PM

Author
How is Predators (2010) any better than The Predator (2018)? (Read 12,957 times)

Highland

Quote from: Hudson on Mar 02, 2019, 09:25:23 PM
I seem to have a much different view of Predators than most people. I remember laughing out loud at the opening scene where characters are literally being dropped into the narrative. I never felt like the movie took off from there.

Among my many issues with the film which include the questionable casting of Adrian Brody and Topher Grace, the lack of any chemistry between any of the characters, Laurence Fishburn's ridiculously phoned-in performance, the re-hash of the first film's setting, problematic garbage like "CAN'T WAIT TO RAPE ME SOME BITCHES," inclusion of a Gatling gun because it was in Predator, inclusion of a scene where an ethnic minority bears a blade to challenge one of the bad guys because it was in Predator, inclusion of a scene where people fall from high up into water because it was in Predator, inclusion of a scene where the main character goes shirtless and covers himself with mud because it was in Predator, completely self-serious and humorless tone throughout and other issues remains the most important to me when I evaluate the movie on repeat viewings:

There are barely any Predators in the movie Predators.

I kinda dug the opening - a lot. It's like boom we are in. It is a lot of re-hashing - but I mean it kinda works.

I'll agree on Fishburn, wasted for sure. That's the part of the movie that de-rails it a bit.

CelticP

Quote from: Highland on Mar 02, 2019, 05:53:24 AM

When you bust the lore open because it's "Predator" or because its "Star Wars" that's not going to fly with the fans.
The older I get, the less and less I relate to the fans. The Last Jedi is my second favorite Star Wars, and Ridley Scott's Alien prequels are among my favorite things released in the past decade. Burst open that lore, beat it, and eat it. See what comes out the other side, I say.

They're just stories.

Kradan

The Old One

The Old One

They're just stories.

Prometheus and the Prequels. Intriguing, yes.
But just bad stories.

CelticP

It's a pretty good story. You can go over it, but I've heard it all. I won't agree with it so there's little point in trying to "show me" or whatever.

But at the end of the day, people take personal offense over these things and it seems unhealthy. Talking about it is one thing, and so is discussion. That's all fun and can be enlightening. But the people that just melt the f**k down over it is ultimately sad.

It's why I just really don't care much about lore these days. It feels like the least important thing to attach too, but I dunno. My favorite aspect of these franchises lies in the visuals and themes mostly. Not so much if they connect to each other.

The Old One

The Old One

No, it's trash. Profoundly trash.

Huggs

Lore is highly important.

What if Jason Bourne turned out to be an amnesiac dunkin doughnuts employee?

CelticP

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 04, 2019, 02:14:56 AM
No, it's trash. Profoundly trash.

get over it.

And if Jason Bourne was a dunkin Donuts employee I might actually sit down and watch those movies.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: CelticP on Mar 04, 2019, 03:06:36 AM
get over it.

:D
No substance though.

CelticP

Fantastic! Now you can move on and stop being bothered by it.

The Old One

The Old One

Projection. No evidence.

AhabPredator

Whoa. That escalated quickly.

:o

Huggs

Indeed, I'm so uncomfortable I stopped making my sandwich.

RidgeTop

Enough of that. Don't get personal with disagreements.

AhabPredator

Quote from: Huggs on Mar 04, 2019, 03:55:55 AM
Indeed, I'm so uncomfortable I stopped making my sandwich.

You best share that sammie

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed