Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived?

Started by Kradan, Feb 10, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Would you feel better about this?

Yes
33 (45.8%)
No
39 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author
Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived? (Read 31,688 times)

Frosty Venom

Quote from: Kelgaard on Mar 12, 2019, 04:33:40 AM
QuoteI think Ripley had all the finality she needed at the end of Aliens, personally. Went back to LV-426 and faced her fears, and found a surrogate daughter in Newt (as well as another alien survivor in Hicks). There were probably more stories that could have theoretically been told with those characters, but that was a perfect stopping off point for me.

Outbreak, Nightmare Asylum and Earth War are examples of great stories told with these characters.

Though the way in which these characters are killed off is part of the bleak and nihilistic tone that Alien 3 presents. That's part of why I like Alien 3, it's just so Alien that the universe is an uncaring, unknowable place and the Xenomorph is like a manifestation of this.

Ripley last survivor of the Nostromo, kills the Alien and escapes in the Narcissus? Lost in space for 57 years. Outlives her daughter.

Destroys all trace of the Xenomorph on Acheron, second chance at being a mother and potential companion? Newt and Hicks are killed as result of the damaged caused by the facehugger that impregnates Ripley with a Queen.

Makes the ultimate sacrifice by taking her own life to destroy last trace of the Xenomorph, stops Weyland-Yutani from obtaining a sample and is finally free of the nightmare? Cloned back to life by the USM Military for the purpose of resurrecting the Xenomorph species. Due to DNA cross-contamination is a hybrid with the very species that has plagued her existence since that first encounter. 

Kel G 426

QuoteOutbreak, Nightmare Asylum and Earth War are examples of great stories told with these characters.
The comics are nice to have, but they're no substitute for cinema.

QuoteThough the way in which these characters are killed off is part of the bleak and nihilistic tone that Alien 3 presents.

This is where fans are divided on a fundamental level. Some love the dismal tone, others dislike it for precisely the same reason.

QuoteThat's part of why I like Alien 3, it's just so Alien that the universe is an uncaring, unknowable place and the Xenomorph is like a manifestation of this.

Conveyed well enough in the first two films without killing every last character that I care about

QuoteDestroys all trace of the Xenomorph on Acheron, second chance at being a mother and potential companion? Newt and Hicks are killed as result of the damaged caused by the facehugger that impregnates Ripley with a Queen.

If Alien 3 were a single film, I wouldn't care, but this is precisely why the movie sucks as a sequel to my favorite film. It ruins the experience of its predecessor. As much as I try to ignore it, I'll never be able to enjoy Aliens the way I did in the years before 1992, knowing the ultimate fate of the characters.

QuoteMakes the ultimate sacrifice by taking her own life

Diminished by the fact that she was going to die anyway.

The Old One

The Old One

Aliens is superior experience, because Alien³ extinguishes James Cameron's childish happily ever after.

No. The sacrifice allowed the universe a chance.

Local Trouble

Hicks and Newt didn't need to die for Ripley to sacrifice herself.

The Old One

The Old One

f**k 'em.

Kel G 426

Nice try, but I'm not taking that troll bait.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: The Old One on Mar 09, 2019, 10:48:22 PM
The family's monotonous. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The expulsion enhances Ellen Ripley's character, it's the correct choice. 

Local Trouble

They didn't need to appear in Alien 3 though.

The Old One

The Old One

And? The deaths enhances Ellen Ripley's story.
& Sigourney Weaver's performance.

Voodoo Magic

Does it really? I believe the feels of her sacrifice could have been achieved regardless.

The Old One

The Old One

I don't. No replication equals the emotional destruction, of a new family (you together vanquished PTSD's respresentation)  unceremonious, together crushed, you the last survivor.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 12, 2019, 07:21:28 PMIt would've given something Ripley to actually sacrifice at the end. An actual chance at happiness. Ripley runs out of reasons to live ten minutes into the film and no one in the audience buys Bishop II's bull at the end. He's got nothing to offer.

Voodoo Magic

Knowing Newt is out there somewhere makes Ripley's sacrifice that much more emotional, imo.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 12, 2019, 02:03:00 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Feb 12, 2019, 07:21:28 PMIt would've given something Ripley to actually sacrifice at the end. An actual chance at happiness. Ripley runs out of reasons to live ten minutes into the film and no one in the audience buys Michael Bishop's bull at the end. He's got nothing to offer.

Hollow observation of the film.

Local Trouble

I'm a pretty shallow guy though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed