Something is brewing on Instagram...

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 20, 2018, 06:48:28 PM

Author
Something is brewing on Instagram... (Read 70,443 times)

SM

SM

Quote from: Huggs on Dec 28, 2018, 11:42:33 PM
This sounds like Amanda doesn't know what they are. This makes no sense unless she had her memory erased. She already encountered the xeno's in Isolation. If this takes place before Isolation, the Alien shouldn't be a surprise to her in the game. What is going on with this?

You sound fairly certain they're from Amanda's POV?

The Old One

The Old One

The W-Y Commandos never implied a PMC that owned spaceships, dropships and military ordnance to me.
But more realistically, essentially security guards- as they actually function as, in the film.

Eldritch_DM

Quote from: The Old One on Dec 29, 2018, 08:29:12 PM
The W-Y Commandos never implied a PMC that owned spaceships, dropships and military ordnance to me.
But more realistically, essentially security guards- as they actually function as, in the film.

Again, problems with our fandom, not a lot of concrete fact and multiple sources of info so that we have consistent info on these things.

Also, I didn't mean to sound standoffish in my earlier post. Not my intention.  ;)

Local Trouble

I can't help but wonder how this whole thing is supposed to coexist with the WYR, assuming the WYR is still considered relevant by Fox.

Nostromo

Quote from: Local Trouble on Dec 28, 2018, 11:15:45 PM
Explained!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tWP8zXYslc

Pretty effin cool!!!! Looks like a blend of everything needed. A bit of Aliens : Hive in there.

Frosty Venom

Quote from: Badwolf-00 on Dec 29, 2018, 08:11:32 PM
Xenopedia also says WY owns the USCM but I don't trust that because I've never heard it stated or read it anywhere else.

Before his operations on BG-386, Karl Bishop Weyland was responsible for aggressive corporate policies at Weyland-Yutani, including the purchase of controlling shares in the United States Colonial Marine Corps. (Aliens vs. Predator 2010).

And even before this they were often called upon as a security force when the interests of the company were at risk. Weyland-Yutani was also heavily involved in the manufacture of conventional weaponry, and was a major supplier for the United States Colonial Marine Corps.

But it makes sense for WY to have their own personal military to carry out such top secret missions as seen in these.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Dec 30, 2018, 10:33:05 PM
Before his operations on BG-386, Karl Bishop Weyland was responsible for aggressive corporate policies at Weyland-Yutani, including the purchase of controlling shares in the United States Colonial Marine Corps. (Aliens vs. Predator 2010).

Ridiculous.

Eldritch_DM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 03, 2019, 12:59:35 AM
Quote from: Frosty Venom on Dec 30, 2018, 10:33:05 PM

Ridiculous.

How is it ridiculous?

SiL

SiL

A:R made it clear they only had defence contracts.

SM

SM

And it assumes the USCM is a private entity which trades on the stock exchange.

Local Trouble

SM beat me to it.

Eldritch_DM

Eldritch_DM

Quote from: SiL on Jan 03, 2019, 01:49:49 AM
A:R made it clear they only had defence contracts.

Wow, I had blocked A:R from my memory so much so that I forgot that.  :laugh:

Again, this just solidifies the need for some consistent and canonical lore on this stuff. For the longest, I thought WY pretty much owned the USCM because not much is spoken about the actual state of governments in universe unless you get it from EU stuff.

Frosty Venom

Interesting, when does A:R state that?

Maybe by 2210 (the approximate date of AVP 2010) the USCM was no longer a unit of Goverment but had become a private entity. And perhaps in 2349, when megacorporations such as Weyland-Yutani were outlawed altogether, around the same time the USCM were forced to only have defence contracts.

Just for reference the majority of Alien Resurrection takes place in 2381.

On another note Alien: Invasion marks the event of W-Y buying out the Colonial Marines as happening at some point in 2600 AD. The company had become vast and powerful enough to become a major politcal influence rivaling official government.

The Old One

The Old One

Or maybe AVP 2010's non-canon,
alongside AVP 2004 & AVPR.

Frosty Venom

Perhaps AVP is non-canon relating to Aliens as it's standalone franchise. But within AVP canon Aliens is part of that. It doesn't add much to the discussion either way.

I personally find it best to use all sources available to try answer un-answered questions.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed