Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem.

Started by Voodoo Magic, Dec 09, 2018, 05:55:36 PM

Author
Say something you LIKE about AVPR - Aliens vs Predator: Requiem. (Read 108,060 times)

SiL

Quote from: Huggs on Feb 24, 2019, 01:30:10 AM
Quote from: SM on Feb 23, 2019, 09:44:00 PM
Brian Tyler's score was from bigger and better movies.

And James Cameron's aliens featured music from 2001.

As did Godzilla 2014.

But it all fit well.
To be fair none of those 2001 pieces were written for 2001.

Huggs

Quote from: SiL on Feb 24, 2019, 02:43:34 AM
Quote from: Huggs on Feb 24, 2019, 01:30:10 AM
Quote from: SM on Feb 23, 2019, 09:44:00 PM
Brian Tyler's score was from bigger and better movies.

And James Cameron's aliens featured music from 2001.

As did Godzilla 2014.

But it all fit well.
To be fair none of those 2001 pieces were written for 2001.

The plot thickens.

SiL

They were all existing pieces of classical music. The original soundtrack that was composed for the film went unused.

Aliens liberally reuses music from Wrath of Khan, as Horner had a very tight schedule to get it completed. He significantly improved some pieces to make them really come alive for Aliens.

SM

Everything in Aliens can be traced back to Wrath of Khan or Search for Spock (and Krull and Battle Beyond The Stars before that).  The Klingon theme in Search for Spock is used note for note in Futile Escape.  Bishop's Countdown is an amped up version of Kirk's Explosive Reply from Wrath of Khan.

Horner repurposes himself a lot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfzqxCshIaY&t=0s&list=LLlYzqAm6IwgI3h5bvGVt2KA&index=49

Kradan

SM

We're talking about music.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SM on Feb 24, 2019, 08:51:41 AM
We're talking about music.

SO? I mean, what's wrong if he re-uses music? His own music?

By the way i remember watching Avatar and thinking that some bit of music sounds familiar. I think when that big black dog-like creature grabs main character. music sound like one in Aliens.

SM

Did I suggest there was something wrong?

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SM on Feb 24, 2019, 08:54:58 AM
Did I suggest there was something wrong?

OK. Maybe i need to read some more posts before.

But if you didn't suggest that it's wrong so why did you pay atention to this fact?

SiL

Someone said the score for AvPR deserved a bigger, better movie.

SM pointed out that the score lifted elements from bigger, better movies (that being the previous A/P movies).

SM, myself and others then pointed out that this wasn't strictly a bad thing as this is something most composers do, especially of their own work.

SM used Horner as a specific example as he's one of the most well-studied cases.

If you went back and read the whole thread from the last page, you'd see why it was mentioned and that there was no insult intended.

Kradan

Quote from: SiL on Feb 24, 2019, 09:34:22 AM
Someone said the score for AvPR deserved a bigger, better movie.

SM pointed out that the score lifted elements from bigger, better movies (that being the previous A/P movies).

SM, myself and others then pointed out that this wasn't strictly a bad thing as this is something most composers do, especially of their own work.

SM used Horner as a specific example as he's one of the most well-studied cases.

If you went back and read the whole thread from the last page, you'd see why it was mentioned and that there was no insult intended.

Ok, ok. I need to read more posts before posting my "super-douper exclusive" opinion  ;D.

SiL

Context is important ;D

SM

Aliens works really well, but I don't think there's a truly unique cue on that soundtrack.

Local Trouble

SM

Must check out Brainstorm now.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed