Predator dogs

Started by elsiniestro, Nov 04, 2018, 12:12:28 PM

Author
Predator dogs (Read 4,260 times)

Huntsman

Huntsman

If the dogs were going to be in the film, they should've been deadly threats ripping off faces. In the film they were a joke.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Well, they were kinda jokes in the script too, but just with a few (or one ? i don't remember) kills for them  ;D

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

They were there to eat the CGI budgetl and succeeded in doing so.

Huntsman

Huntsman

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Nov 10, 2018, 05:26:17 PM
They were there to eat the CGI budgetl and succeeded in doing so.
The dogs take away the stealth aspect from Predators a tad in my opinion. They're another tool for them to have, but a drone should be enough. Or simple scoping the place out while invisible.

Never say no to Panda!

Never say no to Panda!

Well, stealth wasn't that giant Predator's style i guess.
More the "They Have a Cave Troll!" type :D

That dogs...bad design, bad CGI - just bad.

Huntsman

Huntsman

Quote from: Never say no to Panda! on Nov 11, 2018, 10:49:38 AM
Well, stealth wasn't that giant Predator's style i guess.
More the "They Have a Cave Troll!" type :D
Yeah, I guess. I always think of the original film because that really nailed the character for me.

DerelictShip

DerelictShip

I always likes the idea of the Predator hounds from Predators. I hated the execution of the dogs in The Predator. Not menacing, and pose little to no threat. Completely unnecessary.

Naginata

Naginata

I actually wouldn't mind seeing the Predators-style hounds again, possibly even different breeds. This is the kind of thing the comics could really explore.

Wysps

Wysps

Same with me.  I've always thought the Predators hounds were well done, from their appearance to their role in the film.  I'd be on board with seeing them again in pretty much any media.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I do love that they were trying to be creative with the Hell Hounds in "Predators", I really do. I embrace that whole-heartedly.

But I still struggle with it's design:

• How is it not front heavy when sprinting, sending its head crashing into the ground?

• How does it eat or drink when those spikes keep its mouth at a distance.

• How do those spikes not get caught/hung up by surrounding foilage and environment as they sprint after their prey?

I honestly still like the Hell Hounds, and simply adore the concept.  However I just wish, as he did with the original Predator design, Stan Winston and his team swooped in and tweaked the Hell Hounds with some real life practicality.

brokentusk420

brokentusk420

The hard to swallow truth is nothing will ever be as good as the first two movies, design and story wise. Anything that comes down the pipe from here on out will be shit. Why? Because everyone who has tried to work on these movies since predator 2 just doesn't get it.  They wanna make everything flashy and lacking substance to compete with the current blockbuster movie narrative. Plus they put zero limitations on themselves which is why we only get crap in the end. It feels more like a video game than a well thought out film. Just complete shit really. The limitations that were not self imposed on the first movies production were a god send.  Though at the time it just made production a living nightmare.  But it was those limitations that produced one of the arguablely best creature designs in history and one of the most brilliant ideas for an action/scifi film.  Today they only wish they could taste that greatness.   

Huggs

Huggs

It's just an aversion to simplicity. CGI, Spectacle, and inordinate amounts of Comedy are the modern blueprint. This subverts everything that made the original predator and alien so successful, in my opinion.

Story must come first, and apparently, that is simply not as easy to do anymore. So it will continue to take a back seat, because focusing on it would reveal too many deficiencies.

Huntsman

Huntsman

Quote from: brokentusk420 on Nov 13, 2018, 05:32:05 PM
The hard to swallow truth is nothing will ever be as good as the first two movies, design and story wise.   
I'm happy keeping my canon exclusively with Predator and Predator 2. Just as Alien and Aliens are basically all I need when it concerns that franchise. Anything else is just gravy. IMO all content has merit, but it doesn't reach the standards set by those early originals.

funk_master_chunk

funk_master_chunk

Even the dogs were bigger in this.

They were a nice touch in Predators which still played to the notion that the Preds, however big and scary, favoured 'traditional' hunting methods (falconry, sniffer dogs and 'tracking' etc.) to best their prey.

Here they were superfluous. Actually, they were worse than that. Here, they were a poor vehicle to give the heroes a chance as well as to shift some Funkos.

Why would Upgrade even need the dogs when Captured uses a secondary mask to hone in on 'Chez McKenna', and he turns up their of his own accord anyway? Completely not needed, IMO.

Keep saying it but make upgrade a 'regular' rogue pred, no GM or climate change or spinal daquiri shit, no dogs and ESPECIALLY no Predator Killer and this film has half a chance.

But the dogs were poo poo.

Kimo

Kimo

Quote from: elsiniestro on Nov 04, 2018, 12:12:28 PM
Have there been any interviews or behind the scenes talk as to why the Predator dogs were brought back, but with designs so radically different to the ones in Predators?

If you ain't heard the latest AVP podcast yet? Then Alec Gills answers this question well at least why they look different. (Not a word to word on what he said, cos i was busy when listening to the Podcast) However it was something to do with the Dogs in Predators were military grade Predator mutts (think of our own police/military using Alsatian dogs for combat) were the Upgrade pred dogs were loyal personal pets like Pitbulls ect. (Also I probably got the breed of the dogs wrong on what Alec Gills was talking about? but u get the idea.)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed